Long Range Precision

RockSteady

Looking for valid wind solution formula for MRAD. I know
Distance in 1/100ths x Wind speed in MPH ÷Constant= Firing Solution in MOA.
Am I stuck converting to MRAD?
Also any valid sources for the 6.5 Creedmoor constant by yardage?
Would be a huge help if anyone could answer even one of the two questions. Thank you for your time.

Dodge37

I am no where near an expert I have a bulletdrop app for phone which after you put in your information you can choose inches, moa, & mils. App shows you velocity, energy, drop, drift. You can buy the plus version for $1.99 and get better data.

Dodge37

IMG_1558.PNG Hornady 140 grain ELD Match with bulletdrop app 10mph cross wind 90 degrees
IMG_1559.PNG
Everything same but 20 mph crosswind

RockSteady

I am no where near an expert I have a bulletdrop app for phone which after you put in your information you can choose inches, moa, & mils. App shows you velocity, energy, drop, drift. You can buy the plus version for $1.99 and get better data.
Much appreciated, thank you sir!

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
That or use a speed wind formula-

Example- .308 (specifically 175 SMK)
Wind in multiples of 4 since most can guess wind within +/- 2 or within 4 mph.

Wind is 12 mph target at 500m

3 x .5 (.1 mil per 100m unless above 700 in which case you add .1 to each, so 700 would be .8) = 1.5 mils

First figure out your rounds wind band. For 140 6.5's its typically 5 MPH much like .308 is 4.

Of course this is audible for DA bands, which usually adjust each distance by an additional .1

If I fucked any of that someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Caveat- This is also designed for getting fast hits on man sized targets, if you are looking for more precise holds for smaller steel targets say at a match then adjust accordingly. Do not forget cross wind jump either if the wind is kicking or spin drift at further ranges.

RockSteady

That or use a speed wind formula-

Example- .308 (specifically 175 SMK)
Wind in multiples of 4 since most can guess wind within +/- 2 or within 4 mph.

Wind is 12 mph target at 500m

3 x .5 (.1 mil per 100m unless above 700 in which case you add .1 to each, so 700 would be .8) = 1.5 mils

First figure out your rounds wind band. For 140 6.5's its typically 5 MPH much like .308 is 4.

Of course this is audible for DA bands, which usually adjust each distance by an additional .1

If I fucked any of that someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Caveat- This is also designed for getting fast hits on man sized targets, if you are looking for more precise holds for smaller steel targets say at a match then adjust accordingly. Do not forget cross wind jump either if the wind is kicking or spin drift at further ranges.
I appreciate any solid info I can get. Im just getting into the long range game and I'm trying to soak up anything I can to try to get more consistent results..Im at the stage where Im not sure if I made the error or guessed a variable wrong, etc...I love it though. It really brought my passion for bolt actions back....Now what does the number 3 represent in your example formula?..Thank you for your time!

Ridgeline6

To caveat off MattJames, use your bullets G1 bc as your wind bracket i.e. .496 for 175 SMK you would use the .4xx to indicate a 4mph bracket. Something like an ELD-M 6.5 with a G1 .646 you would use the .6xx to indicate a 6mph wind hold. Apply this to the concept and equation MattJames used above. The best part about this formula is that once you memorize it, you can use it for all of your rifles/calibers and only need to shift the wind bracket.

RockSteady

Im tracking now. Thats exactly what I'm using too is the Hornady 6.5 Creed 140 grain ELD Match. Thanks alot to both you guys for the help. Much appreciated