First step in moving to an RMR on my 19. Advice/Input wanted by those in the know.

Freedom Forged

When it comes to RMR's I'm as green as it gets.

1. Are the Balor mounts good to go? Issues? Should I have the slide milled instead?

2. I have the Trijicon in mind right now. RM06 or RM07?

3. All black suppressor sights?

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
What are you trying to accomplish with the slide mounted RDS? What are are you going to use it for?

Rabbit

I say jump in head first and get your slide milled. I like using all black suppressor sights because I don't have anything bright of the front of the gun to distract me from the dot. If I have to use them, I'll still be able to see them clearly in daylight, and in any other lighting they'll be silhouetted by my WML or handheld. I'm a fan of the RM06. I can dim the dot down for target shooting if I want and get it looking almost like a 2moa. I can also turn it up and get it to bloom a little bigger, though I find the brightness annoying sometimes. Hasn't been an issue though because I find the dot size to be perfect anyway. After practicing your presentation a bunch you won't even have to "pick up" the dot, it's just there.

Haven't used a Balor so can't say anything about them, but if you were thinking about it as a non permanent way to test a RDS on your pistol, I'd still say get it milled. I can almost promise you'll love it, and if you don't, you can easily sell your milled slide, probably even with the RMR it was milled for.

OK-5-0

I am going the same process for my gen 4 G19. I am going to buy an MOS slide and just use it as opposed to sending one in to be milled (no down time that way). I purchased the all black sights for the aforementioned reason Rabbit posted. I actually got my hands on a Trijicon RMR 06 and the dot was perfect for my eyes. To me, it appears to be the same size as a 2 MOA dot on a rifle red dot. At 25 yards and further back it does not cover up the entire target and I can see what I'm working with as a target. I have not used any mounting systems for the RMR but from what all I have read the Balor mount is the most trusted**

jrshelnutt

I'd have it milled if budget allows. The RDS will sit in nice and low compared to MOS or ancillary systems. You will love it.

Freedom Forged

Milling is an option for me. Buying an MOS slide is 2/3's the price of a new 19. I'd like not having the down time by buying an MOS slide but that price is too steep for me.

WUtah

For mounting a RMR, ATEI is the best way to go. If you're not 100% sure about a red dot or don't want the down time, I would go the Balor mount via Big Tex Outdoors. That way for 200$ or less you're getting a mount and sights, that you can resell if you don't like. If you're looking at other red dot options like a Delta Point Pro I would go the MOS route. The MOS puts the RMR up higher, which forces you to go with taller sights like the MOS specific ones from Dawson Precision.

Paul053

Amateur
What about zeroing? Is it better to zero shooting unsupported freehand or supported on bags/Bench? I know these dots are supposed be parallax free but seems unnatural trying to zero on a bench all 6'4" of me scrunched up trying to get behind the dot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Fatboy

Established
What about zeroing? Is it better to zero shooting unsupported freehand or supported on bags/Bench? I know these dots are supposed be parallax free but seems unnatural trying to zero on a bench all 6'4" of me scrunched up trying to get behind the dot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I used a rested position and zeroed at 10 yards. After getting it dialed in to my liking, I then switched to free hand and confirmed. I chose the 10 yard zero based on the round used, barrel length, and projected use. Those options may change for you, but I'm basically point of aim/ point of impact to 50 yards, with about an inch of drop every 10 yards out to 100.

Frankly though, if I'm using a pistol at those distances, then something went very pear shaped.

Cody m

Another route would be the Unity tactical Atom slide. A bit of a initial investment, but it comes with sights and you are not slaved to one optic. The modularity of it is what sold me on it.

Either way, it'll cost you money. The balor has received some positive reviews on the modcasts, but I've never played with one myself.

I had my slide milled and don't regret it, but I knew that it would take some retraining. So just understand that with either method, your first impression may be a bit wonky. Once you get some dry fires and some practice drawing/picking up the dot, it really grows on you fast.

If you think you may want to go back to an irons only gun at some point, then try the balor out. It appears to be a good way dipping your toes in the water.

Longeye

Established
Adding an RMR is about a 1500 cycle evolution in my experience. That is the point at which things click and become more or less ingrained.

You will find out quickly whether your presentation from the holster has been practiced correctly. If it has, you will be picking up the dot almost immediately. If you have been bowling your pistol to count five, you will really struggle to find the dot until you clean up your presentation. As you go from retention (C3) to push out (C4) you should be picking up your front sight in your peripheral vision. If you are doing that correctly already, the red dot show up at the same place.
If you are at Count 5 and still looking for the dot, you need to turn it off and spend a hundred or so draw strokes relearning to acquire the front sight as the pistol starts to move forward on Count 4. Then power up the dot and start working dot acquisition.
RMR sights separate the men from the boys and quickly demonstrate who has been getting perfect practice in vs. no or sloppy practice. It takes solid fundamentals to get the most out of a RMR. I would say the same is true with hard sights, but the division is more stark with RMR.

Adding an RMR is about a 1500 cycle evolution in my experience. That is the point at which things click and become more or less ingrained.

You will find out quickly whether your presentation from the holster has been practiced correctly. If it has, you will be picking up the dot almost immediately. If you have been bowling your pistol to count five, you will really struggle to find the dot until you clean up your presentation. As you go from retention (C3) to push out (C4) you should be picking up your front sight in your peripheral vision. If you are doing that correctly already, the red dot show up at the same place.
If you are at Count 5 and still looking for the dot, you need to turn it off and spend a hundred or so draw strokes relearning to acquire the front sight as the pistol starts to move forward on Count 4. Then power up the dot and start working dot acquisition.
RMR sights separate the men from the boys and quickly demonstrate who has been getting perfect practice in vs. no or sloppy practice. It takes solid fundamentals to get the most out of a RMR. I would say the same is true with hard sights, but the division is more stark with RMR.
I'm no pro, but I found the same to be true when I ran one on my CORE. You have to have a good draw because the slightest angle made the dot disappear, and unlike irons that you can still see and know which way to correct, the red dot can only be found by having proper technique in the first place. Well, technique or wiggling it all over the place till you find it. I would argue you have to be a slightly better than average shooter to use one correctly, and efficiently.

Freedom Forged

I would love shoot one before I dive in but I don't know of anyone within driving distance that has one. I called Point Blank range in Charlotte NC to see if they had one on a rental gun but no luck......
FF

Wake27

FYI I believe that Unity Tactical is restocking their Atom slides around the end of this month. You could try one of those or get your Slide milled for the atom mounts as well. I'm going this route because I really didn't want to spend so much money on an optic when I don't know how I feel about the concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk