AAR: Sig Sauer Academy Low Light Pistol Operator 3/13/2015

Andrew Y.

Course: Sig Sauer Academy Low Light Pistol Operator
Dates: March 13th 2015

People: Myself and my dad, he is my training partner and gun bearer, since I am not yet 21.
Instructors: Sig Academy has multiple full time instructors and even more part time, for both these classes we had a part time member, Chris.

Weather: Indoor both days, travel weather was slightly snowy and slushy but perfectly manageable.

Travel: Flew from Des Moines IA to Portland Maine, TSA had no issues with 4 handguns in locked pelican case. Drove from Portland to Exeter which is 11 miles from the academy.

Facilities: The Sig Academy is awesome, 23 (I think) active ranges, 2 shoot houses ( open to civilians is my understanding), multiple structures for force on force, and one indoor range. The indoor range is 30yards long with 10 shooting lanes. Targets consisted of automated resetting plates with head poppers, cardboard stands that can face and edge to you, and a traversing stand (Left to right). There also appeared to be a front to back mover, but we didn’t use it so i’m not one hundred percent on that. Due to range air filtration and the proximity to steel only Frangible ammo can be used indoors.

This class is listed as an intermediate class, it is technically meant to be taken after Handgun 104, at the discretion of the instructor. I did not have these classes so I was slightly over my headlights, but according to the instructor I did great, best feeling ever.

Anyway, after medical brief and range orientation, we discussed light vs laser, using handhelds and WMLs, and light discipline. This was followed by the Sig standard 1 hole drill, this is typically used by the instructors to gauge students. At 3 yards try to put 5 shots in one hole, its great to figure out trigger press issues.

At this point, the lights went out, we discussed the different light techniques, for me Harries and FBI, aren’t the best for me, cigar technique does not work at all. I did try the Costa Thyrm Switchback ring for Surefire lights, it works but its not quite as effective for me as a “light temple index”. Basically I take the light like you would in Harries, and put my knuckles to my temple. This way the light is fixed to a solid point, and acts as a spot light when I turn my head.

After some walk back drills, we started work with moving and light discipline, this was followed by barricades. What followed was by far the best pistol exercise I have ever been a part of.

With a partner, start at 25 yards, advance through barricades, ID and engage or command, shoot or no shoot targets.
Takeaways - I could run this drill for a week, working with a partner to cover during reloads, light discipline, round management, etc. For example, I easily burned through 60 rounds, on 4 targets displayed 3 times. Thats not alot of bad guys, and I wouldn’t think most people carry that much ammo.

Second - Pat is correct, at 25 yards, a 200lumen light sucks, we had multiple shooters who wasted the no shoot targets, probably some adrenaline, but in real life these dudes would be getting the electric chair.

Third - Communication while shooting is tricky, its easy to forget and hard to be efficient at, my personal problem was, I would call I was going to cover to reload, but horrible at letting my team member know I was back up.

Fourth - Safety was great, as the pair of shooters went through, two other class mates followed them a couple feet back to act as spotters. I was more comfortable in a dark room with people I didn’t know, all carrying guns then I was at high school prom, although the only difference was prom people weren’t carrying (and they suck). hmmm

After this, Chris, walked us through doorway entries, we spent half an hour dry practicing, this lead to the final drill where a team of shooters would work through a series of doors engaging targets as we went, with Chris running safety officer and another student running the facing and edging targets.

Overall takeaways, I loved this class, I learned more than I thought possible, and feel much better prepared and much less prepared for a low light “bad day”. I learned alot, but discovered alot of weaknesses, particularly accuracy, I have alot to practice. That said, I was pleased with gun handling, my reloads felt smooth even in total darkness. Also Chris was great, I am extremely proud to call him a friend.

Gear: Sig 229 with Inforce APL, since replaced by a SF 300u, Streamlight Protac HL, 630 lumens, brightest in the class, (Thanks Pat), and a SF EB2, 500 lumens, this light is on my person everyday, and the streamlight is on my gun rig. Mags in Sigtac pouches, Holster was a CTH by NSR tactical, great holster, now useless since the light change. Great holster. Also ran a AWP small tool pouch as a mini dump pouch since I hate mag fishing in cargo pockets. SF light in back left pocket, streamlight in kydex holster belt mount behind the mags. I shot 400 rounds of Sig manufactured frangible ammo.

All went well gear wise, This setup works well for my needs and is simple, I like it.

Pros: Everything, including the amazing chance to shoot under PVS-23s, side note, Tritium sights are really fricking bright under nods, and my cross dominance makes it interesting. A pistol laser would probably be a requirement for me.

The use of the indoor range was awesome, we could have blackout conditions, and not be up until zero dark thirty.

Shooters were all great guys with a couple repeats, I felt confident with most of them and safe with all.

Cons: None, except the class was too short.

Any Questions or criticism let me know.

Andrew