Gaiters for wilderness use

22F

Staff member
A timely reminder to cross post our stuff.

I’ve just copped another 24hr ban for alleged racist and hate-filled vitriol against Farcebook cOmMuNiTy sTaNdArDs.

Kit prep for an upcoming trip:
Hunters Element Basin gaiters.

I’m a late convert to gaiters, for years I went for the old Australian army solution of bloused pants.

It’s what I did in close country as a young bloke.

But talking to a couple of old timers, and my investigation into historic practices had me wondering if there were better ways to do things.

A lot of old timers will tell you that your pants should be loose in the thighs and tight in the calves.

Setup properly, gaiters provide this. As well as provide increased protection to the shins/calves from vegetation and nasties.

I’ve actually found that gaiters can reduce fatigue a bit with wet pants in the jungle. Instead of wet pants dragging down on your legs, gaiters can make things a bit more comfortable.

CC5C660E-AE57-41E6-B21C-A88977338339.jpeg

02F35B06-E709-4DEE-A695-BDF830F19CE5.jpeg

Whiskey

Amateur
Those look like they have snaps and zippers, am I correct? That would be a welcome change over the ones I got from OTTE Gear. They are really well made and do exactly what one would want from gaiters, but the full length velcro closure is terrible for anything "FoF" in the woods. I still use them for day hikes and hunts, just nothing where being quiet is strictly enforced.

22F

Staff member
Sorry mate, they have velcro as well.
BAAE4F07-C060-4D52-88E9-DE0B5AF1AB0C.jpeg
What are you doing that requires that much noise discipline?
If it’s that bad, then why bother taking your boots off?
Or a set of the old fashioned canvas gaiters may be an option.

Whiskey

Amateur
My main current concern is MILES force on force training in the woods. I may be over playing the concern because I have a personal hatred of velcro on anything besides magazine pouches. I guess this would be a different topic really, but I try for as much noise discipline in the woods as I can manage.

The velcro on those gaiters could be managed pretty well though, its a lot less than what I have on mine.

Camb453

I have been considering getting some Gaiters. I live in the mountains and spend a good amount of time ranging and tracking lions. It seems a solid pair of these would be awesome. Recommendations of a solid pair that isnt top line expensive?

22F

Staff member
I have been considering getting some Gaiters. I live in the mountains and spend a good amount of time ranging and tracking lions. It seems a solid pair of these would be awesome. Recommendations of a solid pair that isnt top line expensive?
Mate,
My first set were from Wilderness Equipment. Seen here:

I used a pair of Outdoor Research gaiters extensively on a 14 day trip through the wind river range in Wyoming. I was not a huge fan of them in general but after an evening of picking all sorts of little burrs/twigs I became a convert to wearing gaiters while hiking off trail.

22F

Staff member
My main current concern is MILES force on force training in the woods. I may be over playing the concern because I have a personal hatred of velcro on anything besides magazine pouches. I guess this would be a different topic really, but I try for as much noise discipline in the woods as I can manage.

The velcro on those gaiters could be managed pretty well though, its a lot less than what I have on mine.
I just going through my trunks and found something that might work for you then mate.
No velcro, just a zip and tie-cords. Can’t remember where I acquired them from though.

Check these out:

04F5A36D-FFA8-4502-AA41-ECB1F3918213.jpeg

LigerNoir

Amateur
I used a pair of Outdoor Research gaiters extensively on a 14 day trip through the wind river range in Wyoming. I was not a huge fan of them in general but after an evening of picking all sorts of little burrs/twigs I became a convert to wearing gaiters while hiking off trail.
I was issued a pair of Black OR Gaiters w/ the Army for winter work. They did the job. So much so I bought a pair for the inevitable shin deep snow I know I will be trudging through for work here in Northern New England. I don't look forward to it.

22F

Staff member
That sounds suspiciously like weather I’d prefer to be snuggled up indoors with good company and even better booze mate ;)