The Roland Special

Ryan3

How do you like the feel of the MR920 in comparison to a stock G19? Does it feel like just a highly modified G19 or something entirely different?

It does not feel like a "race gun" but feels like an upgraded G19, with less recoil. I'm not sure what the sauce is behind it, but it's pretty flat shooting. I have an elite and the "combat" One is set up like a Roland and the other just has a 507 on it. I also really like the mounting system for the RDS and the way the frame is shaped.

Threeone5

Switched over to using a OZ Compact as a host. Just need another RMR.

gXydYLu.jpg

WOW! That came out very nice! I really like how the front slide serrations were cut around the logo! Who did that for you?
Thank you, all the slide work and frame work was done by Pike @ MOD1 Firearms in Nicholasville, KY. Highly recommend, it’s a plus that he is local to me so I just swing by and drop / pick stuff up when ready.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Which version did you choose the 1 piece of the one that lets you tailor the springs to your liking ?

Best I can tell they only make one version for the P320 3.9” barrel length slides, uncaptured with three main spring options to choose from. Since all my P320s are comped I put the slightly reduced power spring in all of them and they run perfectly

Seth Thompson

No hard data and some non-guy-guy perspective, but an interesting take on how this concept has traveled in certain circles. P&S and Pressberg are referenced, as well:

https://www.thedrive DOT com/the-war-zone/39894/top-u-s-general-in-afghanistan-is-carrying-a-heavily-modified-glock-with-a-compensator-attached

BY TYLER ROGOWAY

"We have written about U.S. Army General Scott Miller, America's top officer in Afghanistan and a Delta Force alumni, and his penchant for carrying unique sidearms. A competitive shooter, Miller's choice of carrying a full-sized 1911 drew our interest in the past. He has also been known to carry a Glock, which is a very popular series of sidearms in the U.S. special operations forces community, replete with a small red dot sight and extended magazine. Now, it seems that the General's Glock has gotten some new upgrades, including a flared magazine well for easier reloading and a big compensator, like those sometimes used in shooting matches, fixed at the end of the weapon's threaded barrel. This is a feature we have only seen used for combat in far-fetched action flicks. We're looking at you, John Wick and Lara Croft!

The latest images of Miller's unique sidearm come from the recent visit by Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin to Afghanistan, where the two men met this month to discuss a path forward for the war-torn country after two decades of a constant American military presence there. Previous images, including those from when the General met with citizens on the streets of Kabul in February 2020 (one is seen below), show what could very well be the same gun, but without the compensator attached to its barrel or the flared magazine well. It isn't clear exactly what Glock model it is, although it is a Gen 4/5. The 9mm G19 is the most popular in the U.S. military, but this could possibly be a G17, or even a G22 chambered in .40 Smith & Wesson.

message-editor%2F1616453870226-millergun.jpg

DOD

Miller's sidearms have made news in the past, not just for their uniqueness, but because the General actually drew his 1911 during a brazen insider attack in Kandahar in 2018 that killed controversial Afghan National Police Lieutenant General Abdul Raziq and wounded two Americans. Miller was not among the casualties.
In addition, the introduction of Sig's Modular Handgun System (MHS), consisting of the full-size M17 and compact M18 pistols, which are set to replace the majority of the Beretta M9 pistols across the services, has grabbed headlines in recent years. However, Glock continues to expand its reach across the U.S. military, especially among some of its most elite units. Delta Force, which General Miller was a part, among other U.S. special operations units, has largely transitioned to Glocks, namely the 9mm G19, as the units' primary sidearm. Glocks fitted with the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro miniature red dot sight have been increasingly seen in the hands of American special operators, as well.

message-editor%2F1616457193615-glockgeneralafghanistan.jpg

DOD
With that in mind, it isn't too surprising that Miller would also carry a Glock, although the latest modifications to his pistol seem, well, unique. The heavy compensator, designed to counteract the upward movement of the gun during firing and make it easier to put multiple rounds on the same target quickly, is something we've never seen before on a U.S. military sidearm in a war zone.

One thing is certain, General Miller loves his pistols and adding custom features to them, as there is little left to add to his Glock at this point. Considering he serves in a place where friends can become enemies in an instant and he is literally the top U.S. target in the country, whatever works, right?
UPDATE:
We have some great feedback already on this post. It turns out, that this unique tricked-out configuration of a Glock (specifically the G19) is called a "Roland Special" or a "Gunfighter Special." It supposedly traces its roots to a member of the U.S. Army special operations community—Chuck Pressburg now of Presscheck Consulting. Still, the exact definition of it is quite the contested subject in the always lively firearms community. Some say there is only one true Roland Special, the one offered by ATEI Guns, while others seem to use the term more loosely, as anyone can configure their Glock similarly and the general concept can be adapted to other Glocks models than just the G19. You can read a bit more about exactly all that goes into the Roland Special here.
It isn't clear exactly who set up the General's Glock in its Roland Special configuration, so we can't say just yet where it sits in the grand universe of Glock, but it is definitely an established configuration. One firearms instructor tells The War Zone it is sort of "the all-in 'operator special' of Gucci Glocks." So take that as you may. Here are a couple of videos about the Roland Special you can watch and critique as well! "

jp0319

I have been a longtime lurker, I just joined and this is my first post. I have read every page of this thread and used it as motivation for my build. While I didn't "strictly" follow the Roland recipe, I think my interpretation is fairly faithful to the intent.

My "Fauxland" Roland Special

I went with a Cyanide Mini Rook Comp because I rarely fire +p or NATO spec ammo and I didn't want to worry with ammunition sensitivity. So far this has easily cycled 115gr range ammo.

- Frame work by Risen Gunworks
- Slide milled by JagerWerks (front serrations, chamfers, chamfer serrations, top window, enhanced rear serrations, and RMR cut).
- True Precision threaded barrel
- Cyanide Designs Mini Rook Compensator
- Tango Down Vickers extended magazine release and enhanced slide stop
- Zev Fulcrum full trigger
- Blacklist Industries extended slide lock, stainless steel pin set, stainless steel fluted guide rod and ISMI 18lb spring
- Agency Arms magwell (Can't find a Freya anywhere)
- 10-8 Performance Glock magazine base pads
- Ameriglo Suppressor height sights (GL-429)
- Surefire X300U-A FDE
- Trijicon RMR type 2 RM06 (might switch over to a HE508T-GR-X2)

G19 Fauxland.jpg

Slowly pulling together the parts (at a terrible time to attempt to find parts) for my knock-off Roland Special, I have a couple questions I'd like to put to the group. Please understand that this is coming from a duty-use perspective and me fighting against the "why do you need ***, don't be a gear queer" mentality.

1. With the KKM combo, how often do you clean the comp/remove the comp for thorough cleaning? (And why)

2. What hard use extended magazines have you had success with the added magwell? (So far the Glock +2 has been the most reliable in about 500 rounds)

PM07

Staff member
1. I hadn't really 'cleaned' my KKM combo in 3+ years. I have never removed it, there has been no reason to. I take the slide off and the RSA, tilt the barrel down enough to push a brush down the chamber as needed.

2. I have used Arreondo the longest, like forever but also have Dawsons for probably 4 years and a couple of Falcor. With Magpuls 20 round mags, I don't foresee buying any more extenders when I can get 2 pmags for the price of 1 extender.

Camb453

I am sure this has been answered somewhere in here over the years but I will ask again; Do any of you have cycling issues when you Comp the Glock? I have seen it with Glock 34s and whatnot for competetion and have seen guys go down the rabbit hole of trying change springs and this and that cashing their tail to make it shoot and cycle correctly once they put the comp on the muzzle. Is this an issue with the kkm or anything on a g19 or g17? I want to comp mine but that side of it makes me nervous.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
1. I hadn't really 'cleaned' my KKM combo in 3+ years. I have never removed it, there has been no reason to. I take the slide off and the RSA, tilt the barrel down enough to push a brush down the chamber as needed.
About the same. 9k+ rounds. Haven't taken it off once.

The Glock extensions work really well. I have had an Arredondo bind up once or twice if left loaded. For the price of some of these extensions, I just buy more mags. You can get the 19x mags for around $30 from the factory, no fighting with the Glock base plates.

ggammell

I am sure this has been answered somewhere in here over the years but I will ask again; Do any of you have cycling issues when you Comp the Glock? I have seen it with Glock 34s and whatnot for competetion and have seen guys go down the rabbit hole of trying change springs and this and that cashing their tail to make it shoot and cycle correctly once they put the comp on the muzzle. Is this an issue with the kkm or anything on a g19 or g17? I want to comp mine but that side of it makes me nervous.
My gen 4 has factory recoil springs and has worked flawlessly. I shoot good ammo. This is not the gun to put powder puff loads in. It needs gas to work well. I use 147 AE and Lawman. Stout 124s work quite well too.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
This should help:

Camb453

Thats good to know. Thanks my doods.

A follow up question, I am in the process of building my pistols(g19 and g17) to be a "Roland Special" flavor for increased capability. So for my light selection; I cannot do the Surefire due to budgetary restrictions. With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations between the Streamlight TLR7A and the TLR1HL? It is between those two. And the use will be both carry on my battle belt as well as conceal carry. And with that said, I already often conceal a full size g17 without issue. So I dont need a tiny pocket blaster. So any input between those two lights to be used on those guns? Thanks

rudukai13

Pro Internet User

A follow up question, I am in the process of building my pistols(g19 and g17) to be a "Roland Special" flavor for increased capability. So for my light selection; I cannot do the Surefire due to budgetary restrictions. With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations between the Streamlight TLR7A and the TLR1HL? It is between those two. And the use will be both carry on my battle belt as well as conceal carry. And with that said, I already often conceal a full size g17 without issue. So I dont need a tiny pocket blaster. So any input between those two lights to be used on those guns? Thanks

Since they’ll be going on pistols that already have compensators extending beyond the muzzle of the slide anyway I’d go for the higher lumen TLR1HL over the flush-fitting TLR7. If you’re doing full RS builds on both your G19 and G17 together though I’m not sure what budgetary restriction would also constrain your ability to get Surefires for both builds as well, all those other parts aren’t exactly going to be cheap especially bought in pairs for both pistols

ggammell

Have both. Both are great lights. If your OWB carrying, get the HL. If you’re IWB, particularly the 19, it’s the 7A all the way. The HL will add length, even on a 17 which is personally uncomfortable for IWB.