ACOG 2.24 height mounting solutions?

I’m looking for ways to replicate the UNITY FAST 2.24 height set-up with an LED ACOG.

Disclaimer: I have several LPVOs, like them and I totally understand that they are the way forward but I want a fixed power optic for this particular rifle.

I’ve got a Unity FAST mount for my Aimpoint and I like the set-up so much I want to replicate it with a fixed magnification optic I can see better than a red dot. Specifically I like the height and the ability to use the irons underneath the optic. I can do this with a mini 1.5X ACOG TA44 using a Midwest Industries mini ACOG high mount and a Unity riser. I think I can do the same thing with a TA33 3X ACOG.

I’d like to do a 2.24 height with an LED ACOG (TA110), but it has the full sized hole pattern and can't use the same mounts as the mini ACOGs. Aside from buying one and all the various available mounts and risers I'm not sure of a combination that will make the set-up I'm after work. Any ideas?

shoobe01

Established
The TA110 uses normal "ACOG" (TA01...) mounts, so I had hoped that gives options with their long service life but... no?

Only one I can find though that is dedicated taller is the SA80 mount and... I can't find a not-airsoft-knockoff immediately. Also weird gooseneck, but it seems like it doesn't take away rail space that the scope doesn't already occupy somehow. Also no idea how actually high, but certainly higher!

sa80-ugl.jpg

If it doesn't need to be 2.24" (and I don't see why it would have to be that exactly), ADM has a tall mount that puts it at 2.1": https://www.admmfg.com/ad-b3-c-cantilever-acog-base-2

Throw on the KRAM 5.5 would bump you to around the KAC Skyscraper height, I guess, though I really wouldn't see the point of it, since you're not going to be using the ACOG under NODs.
Thanks for your reply. This definitely won't be a primary nods rifle set-up:) It's a semi-nostalgic, not very up to date arrangement that I wanted as a project to make me want to keep using that specific gun. I just find the NV height comfortable (I must have a giraffe neck) and I like the way the Unity FAST Aimpoint mount lets you use the irons under the optic. My eyes see etched glass better than red dots these days and I wanted to do something other than a LPVO on the specific gun in question. I realized after thinking about it that most ACOGs have the hole in the carry handle base mounts to do the irons thing, but I didn't want a carry handle on that gun either... So then I thought about risers. I'll definitely look at the ADM and GDI options you listed, thanks again.

Default.mp3

Established
Thanks for your reply. This definitely won't be a primary nods rifle set-up:) It's a semi-nostalgic, not very up to date arrangement that I wanted as a project to make me want to keep using that specific gun. I just find the NV height comfortable (I must have a giraffe neck) and I like the way the Unity FAST Aimpoint mount lets you use the irons under the optic. My eyes see etched glass better than red dots these days and I wanted to do something other than a LPVO on the specific gun in question. I realized after thinking about it that most ACOGs have the hole in the carry handle base mounts to do the irons thing, but I didn't want a carry handle on that gun either... So then I thought about risers. I'll definitely look at the ADM and GDI options you listed, thanks again.
Sure, I get the taller mount thing, just saying that I would think that if that's the goal, anything 48mm or taller over the rail should be okay, and that bumping it all the way up for 2.33" seems a bit excessive (I haven't heard anyone say that prefer the 2.33" or 2.26" height specifically just for normal shooting, rather than bringing in issues with NODs or pro mask use).

If you do end up with the R-COM B (not the E), please update us on the actual height, I couldn't find it with some light Googling.

Santostype1

Amateur
How high is the acog on a carry handle hole mount, anyone measure it? Just out of curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoobe01

Established
Good point.

ACOG BDCs are designed to be at a sight height of 2.7" and presumably the TA51 and other Trijicon mounts provide that height on in-spec M16 and M4.

That's off bore, not height over rail. Again assuming milspec the (top of the) pic rail is 1.211" over boreline, so that is already 1.489," right? So to get to 2.24 is as close to .75" of rise as makes no difference (2.239").

So with that, me? I would cheap out and get a riser, at least to start with and make sure it wasn't stupid to mount it up there.