Multi-output Modlite

I finally jumped on the Modlite bandwagon after learning the gospel of candela vs lumens.

My only wish is that I miss the dual output tail cap on my old EDC1L-T. I used the low output all the time for random admin tasks. Especially using rechargeable 18350s I don’t worry about loss in output from using the flashlight on a regular basis. Does anyone know if there are any plans for different tail cap switches for the handheld configurations?

Raven

Modlites aren't task lights, they are weapon lights. IMO, their main purpose is PID which is often needed under duress. You can't PID someone/something when you are trying to switch modes or are dealing with a disco show from your light. I prefer the one guaranteed lightsaber mode and I'm sure that's why they are that way.

Grizzly

Modlites aren't task lights, they are weapon lights. IMO, their main purpose is PID which is often needed under duress. You can't PID someone/something when you are trying to switch modes or are dealing with a disco show from your light. I prefer the one guaranteed lightsaber mode and I'm sure that's why they are that way.
As long as it didn't sacrifice durability I'd really like to see them have something like the Streamline ten-tap programming. I carry an HL 5-X and it is in the Lightsaber bright then quick tap to low mode. I've never once had it not be bright when needed but it has the option to dim down and run for a while if needed. I've used that functionality more than a few times.

As long as it didn't sacrifice durability I'd really like to see them have something like the Streamline ten-tap programming. I carry an HL 5-X and it is in the Lightsaber bright then quick tap to low mode. I've never once had it not be bright when needed but it has the option to dim down and run for a while if needed. I've used that functionality more than a few times.
You didn't really address the crux of what he was talking about. If you come up on target, PID with your light and decide it's a no-shoot situation, then you should be coming down off target. Weapon lights are not search lights. Given this, I don't understand what ten-tap programming or an available lower setting would give you. It only has one job, which was his whole point.

If you're talking about a handheld light being tasked as a search light, at the risk of sounding trite - just use the splash instead of the main beam. I'm not sure in what context you would be at a stiff disadvantage for using the light that way

Grizzly

You didn't really address the crux of what he was talking about. If you come up on target, PID with your light and decide it's a no-shoot situation, then you should be coming down off target. Weapon lights are not search lights. Given this, I don't understand what ten-tap programming or an available lower setting would give you. It only has one job, which was his whole point.

If you're talking about a handheld light being tasked as a search light, at the risk of sounding trite - just use the splash instead of the main beam. I'm not sure in what context you would be at a stiff disadvantage for using the light that way
For weapon lights I agree.

For handheld lights it comes down to options. Here are a few situations where having a choice would have been nice.
1. We were out the other day looking for a rural house. My buddy had a modlite with OKW head searching house numbers on one side and I had the car spotlight on the other side. A little later he'd dropped something on the floorboard and grabbed the modlite to look for it. Inside a dark car the splash is still pretty distracting.
2. Working a welfare check turned coroner call. The initial search of the house my HL-5X was great. Electricity was off and it was dark so looking into windows, down halls, through the yard etc full power mode was great. Once we switched to cleanup/processing putting the HL-5x in lower mode to conserve battery and provide fill lighting to the room we were in was the preferred setting to save battery life.
3. Vehicle stops. An Modlite is great for a mobile spotlight on approach. But once you transition to running IDs switching to a low power mode would be handy instead using up battery, switching lights or trying to use some odd splash from the modlite.

None of these use cases are must have examples for switching mods but having more options with not dependability cost is always nice.

Chriscanbreach

Established
I’m all for the development of a separate task lite, but in my opinion any change from the existing system is a step backwards. Other than the niche requirements for cr123 dual fuel.

I haven’t tried it and don’t intend to damage my lights experimenting, but I’m curious if and aftermarket tail caps would meet that need.