Questions on Modcast 222: Non Standard Defensive Weapons

nyeti

Staff member
so question referencing the pistol ammo, I think Darryl stated about use of 45 ball in areas where you couldn't use hollowpoints. would there be a benefit to use a semi wad cutter out of a semi or would a fmj be better?

First, I would avoid FMJ ball in any caliber and it would be a last resort. With that said, if I am limited to non-hollowpoint ammunition, I want the biggest caliber available and the most efficient round that will reliably function. Optimally, ammunition like a filled cavity, truncated, or softer tip would be best for function versus FMJ ball. If it has to be FMJ, then yea, .45 over 9mm.

Ndu8002

First, I would avoid FMJ ball in any caliber and it would be a last resort. With that said, if I am limited to non-hollowpoint ammunition, I want the biggest caliber available and the most efficient round that will reliably function. Optimally, ammunition like a filled cavity, truncated, or softer tip would be best for function versus FMJ ball. If it has to be FMJ, then yea, .45 over 9mm.

Sorry, I should have prefaced this as worse case scenario. I use a 230gr hst in my Hk45c and when i travel i use critical defense.

MrMurphy

If I went back to .45 or .38/.357 and was limited in ammo like say NJ... Corbon Powrball if legal.. jacketed softpoint or pure lead wadcutter in a wheelgun, or LSWCHP if possible.

nyeti

Staff member
In NJ, it would be .38 wadcutters for me all the time, also in speed strips. For loaders, some sort of legal something I could get in the gun if I had to reload off a loader.