MRO vs Holosun HS503 for duty/HD

SmElly

What's your pick? Word on the street is that HS has worked it's way up to "duty grade". Is the MRO worth the extra $150?

tylerw02

What's your pick? Word on the street is that HS has worked it's way up to "duty grade". Is the MRO worth the extra $150?

Yes just so you’re not supporting the chi-coms. I’ll pay more to support an American company. F China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tylerw02

Yes just so you’re not supporting the chi-coms. I’ll pay more to support an American company. F China.

I dont blame holosun for Chinese government policy I dont agree with

As I understand it, Holosun is owned by Huanic founded and funded by Huijin—owned by the People’s Republic is China.

You do you, but I won’t buy Holosun.

SmElly

As I understand it, Holosun is owned by Huanic founded and funded by Huijin—owned by the People’s Republic is China.

You do you, but I won’t buy Holosun.

Learned something new today. Thanks for making my decision easy

EricG

Amateur
For me, I have made a conscious effort to send my money to American engineers, laborers, foreman's, customer service reps, etc.

Trijicon has a very long, proven reputation. Holosun/Vortex has nothing to offer that I couldn't get from Eotech, Trijicon, Leupold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Do you have a source for that? I'd like to dig and do my own research because my searching didn't yield direct ties to Chinese Government.

On the topic of functionality I have three of the 503 line and one 407c, all of them run great and have held up to all the abuse I have been able to give them in the last 2.5 years. Two of the 503's are on AR's and one is in a Suarez International Glock mount (was given to me as a gift, I do not recommend supporting Suarez international) on a G19. The 407c is currently on my loaner gun that I let people shoot when they want to see if RDS is for them. I work part time as a range RSO at a range and that gun is near 8k since I put the 407 on it.

The dots work and have been problem free for me the entire time I owned them and I have very much enjoyed using them. I recommend them frequently to people looking to try pistol or rifle RDS who have budgetary constraints or if they need to outfit multiple weapons. Also through my eyes the dot on the holosun dot is more crisp when used with a G33, Aimpoint 3x or other 3x magnifiers than my Aimpoint PRO and ACO.

At the end of the day its shooter preference so whichever you like get and I doubt you will be disappointed

tylerw02

Do you have a source for that? I'd like to dig and do my own research because my searching didn't yield direct ties to Chinese Government.

On the topic of functionality I have three of the 503 line and one 407c, all of them run great and have held up to all the abuse I have been able to give them in the last 2.5 years. Two of the 503's are on AR's and one is in a Suarez International Glock mount (was given to me as a gift, I do not recommend supporting Suarez international) on a G19. The 407c is currently on my loaner gun that I let people shoot when they want to see if RDS is for them. I work part time as a range RSO at a range and that gun is near 8k since I put the 407 on it.

The dots work and have been problem free for me the entire time I owned them and I have very much enjoyed using them. I recommend them frequently to people looking to try pistol or rifle RDS who have budgetary constraints or if they need to outfit multiple weapons. Also through my eyes the dot on the holosun dot is more crisp when used with a G33, Aimpoint 3x or other 3x magnifiers than my Aimpoint PRO and ACO.

At the end of the day its shooter preference so whichever you like get and I doubt you will be disappointed

That was what I found cited on multiple forums when I was researching it. I don’t have a primary source.

tylerw02

That is to say, you can google Huijin being owned by the Chinese government and it does appear they own the LED company. But I cannot find hard proof that they own Holosun. I can’t find anything that says who owns Holosun other than the speculation and statements on several forums.

Either way, smells fishy and I won’t support them.

That was what I found cited on multiple forums when I was researching it. I don’t have a primary source.

So a company being owned by the Chinese government is not uncommon, they don't have a separation between them because the government wants to make all the money. So if they were owned and operated by a company like Poly Technologies, Norinco, China National Electronics Import & Export Corporation (CEIEC), or the China Poly Group I would be more concerned and not continue to do business with them. Also to my knowledge only the .Gov contract optics are required to be made in the USA per the Berry compliance regulations and all of the bif names do have some soft of manufacturing facility abroad in either Japan or China.

At the end of the day, shooter preference. I'm sure the OP would enjoy either optic and it would most likely meet his needs

Stanislao

Interesting to see that the people complaining about Holosun being Chinese are doing so from phones made by Foxconn. In China. Under contract with a Korean company in one case.

Point is that there is no ethical consumerism in today's globalized economy. Electronics are almost exclusively made in China. You shouldn't be surprised if your favorite "Made In The USA" product has a substantial portion of Chinese made components. Try not to think too much about where your chicken, pork or beef came from now that country of origin labeling is considered an unfair advantage.

Anyone have objections to the HS503 based on actual data, or even personal experience?

tylerw02

Interesting to see that the people complaining about Holosun being Chinese are doing so from phones made by Foxconn. In China. Under contract with a Korean company in one case.

Point is that there is no ethical consumerism in today's globalized economy. Electronics are almost exclusively made in China. You shouldn't be surprised if your favorite "Made In The USA" product has a substantial portion of Chinese made components. Try not to think too much about where your chicken, pork or beef came from now that country of origin labeling is considered an unfair advantage.

Anyone have objections to the HS503 based on actual data, or even personal experience?

We absolutely can give our money to American companies and try to achieve as much American consumption as we can despite it being impossible to be completely free of China.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
The topic of Holosun's ownership and the morals of supporting such a company can best be discussed in General Discussion.

Please keep this thread limited to the technical and performance differences that the OP asked about.

I have a HS503R on my Beretta 1301. So far, I've had to adjust the tabs in the battery compartment to ensure battery contact during the 1301's recoil, but have otherwise had no problems. I greatly prefer the reticle on the 503R to the dot of the MRO. That said, the new MRO variant has an Eotech like reticle, so if you're willing to pay the premium, it should be a solid option for those that prefer it.

Aaron Cowen recently posted a video on the MRO HD. It certainly seems like a good option.

That said, I truly believe the MRO HD and the 503R are in entirely different classes. The HS503R can be found for under $300. The MRO HD is just under $700, and is much more in the realm of the Aimpoint T-2.

7six2x51

If if the quality of the optics were exactly the same, I would still choose the MRO. The field of view alone would be the deciding factor. Having both side by side it’s clear they the MRO is the winner.