Pmag Gen 3 vs Lancer L5AWM

Hammer329

I’m struggling between the lancer mags and the gen 3 pmags to get for my new rifle, which would you prefer and why?

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
To my mind the lancer surrenders the biggest advantage of a polymer magazine, the plastic feed lips. Metal feed lips can become subtly warped or dented in a way that is not immediately obvious, which can result in magazine related malfunctions. The lips on apmag will crack and break off rather than warping, so any failure of the magazine is obvious. It also takes more force to break the lips on a pmag than to warp metal feed lips.

Wake27

To my mind the lancer surrenders the biggest advantage of a polymer magazine, the plastic feed lips. Metal feed lips can become subtly warped or dented in a way that is not immediately obvious, which can result in magazine related malfunctions. The lips on apmag will crack and break off rather than warping, so any failure of the magazine is obvious. It also takes more force to break the lips on a pmag than to warp metal feed lips.

I agree. IMO the metal feed lip thing is just a few good measure taken from AKs. If you haven’t already, lookup magpuls testing videos on YouTube. May help you decide pretty quickly. They’re also cheaper I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stiltd683

My Lancers are a little tight in some lowers. Other than that, I don't have any complaints. Reliability wise pmags and Lancers are neck and neck for me.

I've heard of feed lips distorting but I have dropped mine and haven't had it happen. I would buy whichever is on sale or cheaper.

Wake27

That a good point that I forgot to mention. My Noveske lower wouldn’t drop free the lancers. It won’t do it with Gen 2/MOE PMAGs either, but Gen 3 are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frosty_Bear

For the Gen 3 pmags, you may need to file the over-insertion tab slightly. I wouldn't do it, unless the magazine had issues though.