DeFoor Scoped Carbine - Private Course - March 2020

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Defoor ProFormance 1 Day Private Course - Scoped Carbine

March 30, 2020 - Private Range

This course came about as a result of the Covid 19 closures and Kyle needing to fill time where his cancelled contracts were. The offer was $300 per day per shooter, topic of shooters choice. @Foodie worked out the logistics and off we went. The whole thing took about 36 hours from announcement of availability to booked and paid.

Course started off with a quick assessment of hardware and skill.

Kyle explained his preference for a 100 yard zero on a LPVO carbine, which both of us had already been using so there was a quick zero verification and off to the races.

The facility allowed us to shoot out to 300. We worked on isolating various fundamentals like natural point of aim, sight picture and trigger. We did some positional work as well at varying distances which is always a good refresher. Mechanical off set, target area transitions and cadence drills were hammered home to end the day.

It wasn’t an earth shattering course for me but there were a lot of little nuggets.6

Throughout the evolutions Kyle was giving us some corrective instructions. The 2 to 1 ratio was awesome for that. He also shot most of the drills with us which is neat. It gets you to feel how his cadence runs while you’re shooting.

Round count: 302

What I did learn is that I really want to increase from a 1-4 to a 1-6 LPVO and also away from a BDC style reticle to something with better subtensions for accuracy at distance.

Last edited:

Foodie

To add to this, due to the 300yd limit and the small size of the class, this course was more of a carbine course with some scope learning points Defoor's carbine hat qual. Both of us ran short barreled carbines with LPVOs in 1.93" mounts. 90% of this course was shot from the prone on paper so we were able to see the worst case scenario for tall mounts. At 100yds on the clock I noticed about a 3" shift in my group due to head position. Having said that, I won't be changing to a lower mount because nearly all my competition shooting and possible HD shooting is not taken from the prone.

This was my first class with Kyle and I will echo what ggammell said, solid fundamentals of marksmanship with a few tips and war stories thrown in. Kyle was friendly, helpful, and even tossed some ammo my way when I ran out.

ggammell

To add to this, due to the 300yd limit and the small size of the class, this course was more of a carbine course with some scope learning points Defoor's carbine hat qual. Both of us ran short barreled carbines with LPVOs in 1.93" mounts. 90% of this course was shot from the prone on paper so we were able to see the worst case scenario for tall mounts. At 100yds on the clock I noticed about a 3" shift in my group due to head position. Having said that, I won't be changing to a lower mount because nearly all my competition shooting and possible HD shooting is not taken from the prone.

This was my first class with Kyle and I will echo what ggammell said, solid fundamentals of marksmanship with a few tips and war stories thrown in. Kyle was friendly, helpful, and even tossed some ammo my way when I ran out.

Dude. He tossed you TBBC! for burn down drills. Epic.

JLL2013

I also did a coaching session with Defoor. I'm intentionally calling it a "coaching session" rather than a class because that's really what you're getting. D4 is seeing where you're at and helping guide you to being better rather than pushing through a POI with a few folks. It was just me so we worked half handgun, half carbine.

Personal highlights: did a walk back to 200yds with the pistols, got some D4 guidance that really tightened up my one hand pistol shooting, trued the rifle, and got some solid pointers on where to shave some seconds off my hatqual, etc.

"If you push your elbow straight down you'll get better X" "I'm looking at your low ready and seeing where Y is hurting your speed" "try slipping that sling off and running it to see if that's giving you some input"
These are the little tweaks a good shooter can use that you may not get in a 12-16 man class.

I've done Scoped Rifle, Handgun, and Carbine with D4 prior. The huge benefit to this coaching session is the individual attention; you aren't wasting any time waiting on "that guy" or burning reps on drills/skills that you have down.

The Hat Qual puts high mounts in a bind; I used a Badger 1.70" mount with my ATACR and it definitely made life easier over a 1.93 or ever 2.04.

ggammell

I also did a coaching session with Defoor. I'm intentionally calling it a "coaching session" rather than a class because that's really what you're getting. D4 is seeing where you're at and helping guide you to being better rather than pushing through a POI with a few folks. It was just me so we worked half handgun, half carbine.

Personal highlights: did a walk back to 200yds with the pistols, got some D4 guidance that really tightened up my one hand pistol shooting, trued the rifle, and got some solid pointers on where to shave some seconds off my hatqual, etc.

"If you push your elbow straight down you'll get better X" "I'm looking at your low ready and seeing where Y is hurting your speed" "try slipping that sling off and running it to see if that's giving you some input"
These are the little tweaks a good shooter can use that you may not get in a 12-16 man class.

I've done Scoped Rifle, Handgun, and Carbine with D4 prior. The huge benefit to this coaching session is the individual attention; you aren't wasting any time waiting on "that guy" or burning reps on drills/skills that you have down.

The Hat Qual puts high mounts in a bind; I used a Badger 1.70" mount with my ATACR and it definitely made life easier over a 1.93 or ever 2.04.

He told us about that. He told us about the nightfighter. Foodie and I looked at each other and asked “what’s his name?” Oh yeah. We’ve shot with him before. Lol. Small world.

(And yeah, he told us about your get out of the car and hat qual)

JLL2013

Absolutely a small world; I think its 100% accurate that there's like 3000 people in this whole industry.

He told us about that. He told us about the nightfighter. Foodie and I looked at each other and asked “what’s his name?” Oh yeah. We’ve shot with him before. Lol. Small world.

(And yeah, he told us about your get out of the car and hat qual)