Covid19/Boogaloo Flu preps?

JimH

I keep watching out for news about this thing, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
Pulled out the "pandemic" box and looked at what was still there. Masks, gloves, Tyvex suits, and even a still functional PAPR. Then made a trip to get some more N95's, duct tape and cleaning supplies. I bought some more Chlorox liquid bleach to go with the bleach tablets already in the kit. Got some more wipes and sprays.
One thing that occurred to me was that we will probably be doing some doctor video televisits if possible, instead of going into the office. Because of this, I rounded up the blood pressure monitors, O2 pulse ox meters, thermometers, and glucose meters. I have never done a virtual doctors visit, but would like to have any of the measuring devices on hand if they want some readings. I read that some of the Corona screenings involved temperature and oxygen measurements. I am not sure what other medical supplies (not medicines) would be good to have on hand.....

Anyone else doing anything?

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Chuck has an interesting bit on the presscheck patreon page. I think as long as you are ahead on basic meds for flu and PPE now, you are doing fine. It will be easier to run out and stock up on Gatorade later than it might be to source say infants Tylenol after things get more interesting. Your list sounds pretty sensible. It’s the things that are like or already are being gobbled up that you should be getting now. Most of the stuff like basic meds and cleaning supplies can be exhausted at a later date if this dies out. So you bought two jars of ibuprofen? You just don’t need to buy any next year. TP, paper towels, and your bleach? Same stuff you probably buy weekly but in smaller quantities. When this is over hopefully you find you just don’t need to buy anymore for months. My biggest issue is freeze dried stuff. It’s either sold out, higher priced, or delayed delivery. I’d like to have at least a months worth per person. We’ve kept that much on hand since H1N1. Enjoy the telemedicine if you can do it. For a lot of stuff they should have been doing that for years.

JimH

Chuck has an interesting bit on the presscheck patreon page. I think as long as you are ahead on basic meds for flu and PPE now, you are doing fine. It will be easier to run out and stock up on Gatorade later than it might be to source say infants Tylenol after things get more interesting. Your list sounds pretty sensible. It’s the things that are like or already are being gobbled up that you should be getting now. Most of the stuff like basic meds and cleaning supplies can be exhausted at a later date if this dies out. So you bought two jars of ibuprofen? You just don’t need to buy any next year. TP, paper towels, and your bleach? Same stuff you probably buy weekly but in smaller quantities. When this is over hopefully you find you just don’t need to buy anymore for months. My biggest issue is freeze dried stuff. It’s either sold out, higher priced, or delayed delivery. I’d like to have at least a months worth per person. We’ve kept that much on hand since H1N1. Enjoy the telemedicine if you can do it. For a lot of stuff they should have been doing that for years.

I like Chuck's page, although my view is from the cheap seats. He always puts out good info with a distinctive style.

Last edited:

JimH

For what it’s worth in a major metropolitan area my Home Depot still has P100, N95 masks, Tyvek suits, etc today.

That's great. I agree with what Chuck said today, that the stores have been able to resupply after the first run of profiteers hit, It's probably emptying out their regional distribution centers, but is giving people who are ahead of the curve stuff to buy. However, I think stores may have a challenge resupplying their DC's...

JimH

Messed around with this afternoon with trying to get a Tyvek suit, PAPR and a plate carrier to all play together nicely..

Lessons learned so far:

1. I need bigger Tyvek suits and a lot more duct tape.
2. Mobility is really, really restricted, reminded me of a Scott pack and bunker gear.
3. Tyvek Suits are a one time thing, not much chance of reuse.
4. It takes a long time to get into/out of this stuff on a good day.
5. I need a decontamination/spray down/ let dry routine for the reusable gear (PAPR , mask, and carrier/belt that holds the PAPR)
6. I need to find a good source of cheaper 40mm/NATO filters that will work in the Covid19 environment.
7. I have to come up with a belt mounted system for the PAPR instead of the PC.

Vinsynd

Amateur
IV supplies.

Angiocath needles, IV tubing, and if possible some IV bags you can sterilize with UV light or a collection of sterile disposables.

Many critical illnesses require fluid resuscitation as part of supportive care. Making sterile saline (salt water) at the right concentration is easy- but no one thinks about how to get it into the vasculature.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Seconded on the nato filters. I’m out buying N95 and P100 when I have multiple m40 and Avon masks but only one filter each. Could have saved a lot if I had multiple filters.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
As many have pointed out this was a threat vector many of us didn’t either think of or decided we didn’t even want to entertain the thought of. I know I recently tossed out MSA masks that took bayonet filters, extra expired filters, 40mm nato filters, and all my chem warfare manuals during a move. I will never need that I said.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Busted open several Saratoga suits to use for simunitions gear and threw out multiple tyvek suits as well. Left over Junk from another life taking up space I said to myself.

JimH

Freeze Dried....I just communicated with Vince at Trailtopia.com . They make some pretty good freeze dried meals. They used to be more expensive than Mountain House (not anymore) and he says he has stuff in stock ready to ship. Thought it might be an alternative?

I work for a major industrial distribution company and we are sold out of masks/sanitizer - things like bleach and sanitizing wipes are next to be wiped out - school districts and corporate customers are the groups buying the largest quantities

shoobe01

Established
Check out this guy:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html
...On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States was announced, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic...

If you know/suspect there are resellers in your area (many are like this, just work out of their house) might try to find out if they are hoarding, then check the emergency statutes, see if there's a century old law that lets the government seize them (or pay fair, not inflated market price) so you can help get locals that need it the supplies.

Here in KS, the state of emergency triggered our anti-profiteering statue, but it's all civil stuff as far as I can find out. Warnings and fines. But every little bit of anti-panicking helps.