AR10 Optic Selection

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I’m struggling to find an optic for an Armalite AR10T. I want Vortex PST 2 1-6 performance but without the weight penalty. The rifle is a 16” collapsible with a Troy Alpha Rail. I’m trying to cut weight we’re I can but without sacrificing performance. If it were not so heavy, the PST 2 is the answer. Both in performance and price.

While it’s not a duty rifle, it will be used on the range when training guys with duty precision guns so I’d like to keep up my end when demo’ing. I’ve got lay behind full size big gas guns with big optics when that’s a requirement but this needs to be the do all lighter option. The DM gun that can do close work in a pinch. I’m willing to compromise on the low power end to say 1.25 to 1.5x. I previously stopped researching optics that were not really close to true 1x so I know I’m missing some stuff.

My ideal would be 1-6 or 1-8, minimum PST clarity, weight in the teens, shorter length the better. Price in that $500-700 range.

I previously tried the Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle. Clarity was not good past 5x. I also had a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5 MRT. I think it’s failing was mainly clarity and light passage at 5x was not great. Probably the 20mm objective.

I could probably shed some weight with another handguard as well but the choices for Armalite pattern guns are not as plentiful.

Thoughts?

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Multitasking and forgot recticles. I’d prefer something TMRish or straight Mil based and simple like the PST has. No horseshoe stuff. Bonus points for Mil/Mil.

tylerw02

You’re asking a lot. You’re going to have to compromise. I’ve been researching the shit out of this category. I have a Razor on my 5.56. Granted, lighter gun and is manageable there. It worked well for me as a student in a DMR class and as a demo gun in the precision courses I teach.

Right now I’ve been trying to find a scope for a .308 bolt action in the 1-6 or 1-8 range that won’t be top heavy. I’m coming up empty thus far and. The vortex pst is in the lead on price, featured, but lagging in weight. Nothing I’ve seen in the weight I desire meets the other criteria. I’m going to see what develops at shot this year before I make my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
That’s what I keep coming back to. There are other options out there but must fail miserably at the recticle. It seems the natural leader should be Leupold. Bumping up the patrol to 6x or 8x with a TMR. Oddly they have nothing in that category so it’s got to be a technical issue. They are the kings of conquering weight usually.

tylerw02

I agree. 1.25-4x just isn’t enough. I’m also not a fan of the exposed windage turret. The weight, which IIRC, is just 11 oz and would be perfect.

pointblank4445

Established
I doubt this will be relevant but "Arken" has been buzzing over on the Hide for "$1500 optic for $500".

This price point is not my lane; just passing this along.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Almost forgot I had this old 80’s 2.5-8x 32 VXIII. That one is so close. If it were 1 or 1.5-8 it would be coming off that .22. Those were very affordable scopes at that time and decent performers all around.

Attachments

• C2B89751-0FE8-4F45-8392-81CFC189D248.jpeg
    C2B89751-0FE8-4F45-8392-81CFC189D248.jpeg
    830.8 KB · Views: 21

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
If I didn’t know better I’d swear Vortex was reading my mind after watching Yeti’s IG video today. While it’s deservedly outside of the price range I specified, what a list of features on the vortex HD 1-10

tylerw02

If I didn’t know better I’d swear Vortex was reading my mind after watching Yeti’s IG video today. While it’s deservedly outside of the price range I specified, what a list of features on the vortex HD 1-10

It’s a bit out of my price range as well but I’m going to scheme and see if I can get one. Honestly, I’d almost prefer it were SFP and $500 less.

rbhaxton72

I have the same AR-10 Armalite but its a TAC-18 with 18" but am going the opposite direction from the LPVO. Looking at the Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18x50. With that said, if I was going the LPVO route, I would seriously consider Vortex's Gen 3 1-10X.

With your price point, have you checked out Leupold's VX or Burris MTAC?

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Leupold doesn’t begin to make an option until we get around 1k. I know it’s not a lot in the grand pricing of optics but it’s beyond budget for this project. Burris it seems has some stuff I wasn’t aware of so I need to do some more research there. Thanks for making me poke around.

marcusa

For what you're looking for and for that price range, I think your only option today is to shop around for a used optic or one that's being sold as a demo. There aren't many LVPOs in the teens anyway, and the ones that are are all well above $1k new.

Steiner T5Xi is a hair under 20oz.
EoTech VUDU 1-6 is a hair over 20oz.

Both can be found for ~$1k

You can try some of the Primary Arms options but how well they'll hold up on a .308 may be in question.

With optics I believe it's better to buy once, cry once - within reason. If your budget is $750, it may make sense to save up for a bit longer to get you into the $1-1.5k range where the field gets a little deeper in quality optics. My $.02.

sdenial

I'm pretty happy with my Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II and oviously vote for this scope. This scope is Illuminated EBR-4MRAD Tactical reticle. A great scope. VERY clear glass, especially for the money. I noticed that this scope is getting harder to find as stock is low, and some people are asking full MSRP for the scope.