Smaller light with a ring?

Stanislao

Currently I am carrying a Streamlight ProTac 1L for both work (EMS) and casual. While the light is plenty bright for everything I need, it has issues related to it's small size. Namely it can be hard to manipulate in a hurry, when my hands are cold or I'm wearing gloves. There was also an embarrassing incident with a spare dead battery....

For a replacement, I'd like a slightly larger light, using 18650 batteries and ideally working with a Thyrm or similar ring. I do not need more illumination than the 275 lumens offered by the Protac 1L, but more isn't particularly harmful and most lights are programmable anyway. As I'm familiar with Streamlight, I'd like to stay with them. The larger thousand lumen flashlights seem like they'd be quite awkward to carry clipped in my left pocket, so I'd prefer something with a bezel the same diameter as the body.

Currently I'm looking at four lights, only two of which I'm sure work with a Thyrm. I'm not sold on the Thyrm in particular, though they are the only current manufacturer of flashlight rings that I'm aware of.
Streamlight Protac 2L-X. This is probably the perfect light, if it works with some sort of a ring. It is the size, manufacturer and power that I like, but I'm not sure if there is a ring for it.
Streamlight Protac HL USB. This offers the full Light Of God in a can. For my use, I'd probably program it to default to the medium setting. It is larger than the 2L-X, though I don't think it would matter much. Most importantly, I do not know if it works with a ring.
Protac HL-X. Also the Light Of God in a can, and I know it works with a Thyrm. While I'll eventually get one of these for use on a rifle, it seems far to large for carry in jeans.
Nitecore MH12 & other models: I don't know much about Nitecore, though I do know that the MH12 works with a Thyrm. The MH12 does appear to be about the size I like, with the Light Of God and more reasonable settings. My holdup here is that I'm unfamiliar with Nitecore and haven't seen much more than potentially dubious Amazon reviews.

Are there any other lights or rings I should consider? Of the ones that I've identified, which would you recommend?

Simms65

Shenanigans!
Staff member
Administrator
I'm carrying the 2LX off duty. While it is lower output than many other handhelds it meets the criteria of being useful at more than full output (I use it rather often to look directly into small openings) and it has an in line head which isn't larger than the body. I may eventually pick up a higher output light for EDC. One of the new 1000+ lumen Fenix lights with the small in line head is rather tempting.

proamateur

I have carried the HLX with a Thrym Switchback 2.0 for almost 2 years and it only seems big if you have tight pockets/tight pants. The head does create a bulge in your pocket, if that is something you want to avoid. An another note, the Thyrm seemed to become loose on the light after a few months and would be able to rotate somewhat freely. I would like to get a Surefire to replace it for edc for that reason, as well as the switch didn’t work well with the shooting positioning that the Thrym offers.

proamateur

My friend got a Fenix rechargeable 1000 lumen light (UC35 I think) and has had a positive experience with it. It is very slim, accepts the Thyrm, and has a metal button in the body to switch brightness settings. The standard tail cap switch turns it on. It goes from 5 to 1000 lumens with sideswitch, but turns on to whatever brightness you left it on. I do not know much besides that, so you may want to research yourself.

chrisp2493

Amateur
I have been using the 2L-X for about 8 months now. The low output is nice for really close work, looking in holes, stuff like that. The 500 lumens high setting is pretty decent. It stays clipped in my front pocket or on my thigh in carpenter style pants and it’s pretty compact. I haven’t found a ring for it yet, and I plan on picking up a HLX with a ring soon just for the extra output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Teague

I've had this MT1A for 6 years, it's been a great light for EDC. I have Surefire weapon lights and handheld lights, and Streamlight for my duty lights, but this Nitecore has been going strong and doesn't have any ghost drain issues some of my other lights have. The top one is brand new that I got for my wife for her birthday.

Attachments

• 20191212_122642.jpg
    20191212_122642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

Boy Scout

I've used a Nitecore MH25 as my duty belt light for the past 5 years or so, carried in a Surefire plastic V70 holder. I love it. USB rechargeable, 960 lumens on their Turbo mode, with some adjustability but I just left it on Turbo. No complaints about Nitecore, it's done what I've needed it to do. Haven't messed with a Thyrm ring other than picking one up in hand once, no idea about the interface on a Nitecore.

I'm in the market for a new EDC light. Thought about going with a Stilleto, but don't like the spill or the plastic body/aluminum head separation. Thinking about a Nitecore P18 or NM01. Still researching though, LED and recharging technology seems to improve every six months...

Fatboy

Established
I have a nitecore mh12 that works great with the thrym rings. My protac HLX also works great with the thrym.
The protac HL-USB does not work with one due to the barrel of the light being too large.

All of those lights get used on duty as a vampire hours cop. I'd love it if thrym developed an adjustable ring to clamp over larger lights though.

Stanislao

Do you think it would be possible to modify (presumably with a dremel) the oversized barrel of the HL-USB to fit the Thyrm? I've seen that done on various other lights.

How easy is it to get to the mode control on the Nitecore lights when holding the device by the ring?

Boy Scout

The Nitecore MH25 setting adjustment is made by way of a rotating ring just south of the bezel. When the ring is tightened all the way, it locks into their Turbo mode (980 lumens on the MH25). When loosened, you click through the various levels. To be honest, I played with it for a little bit but I've ran it 99% of the time on Turbo.

Fatboy

Established
Do you think it would be possible to modify (presumably with a dremel) the oversized barrel of the HL-USB to fit the Thyrm? I've seen that done on various other lights.

How easy is it to get to the mode control on the Nitecore lights when holding the device by the ring?

It would be easier to modify the thrym ring by thinning it out from the inside. Doing that wasn't worth my time or effort, same as trying to machine down the light diameter. It was easier to just buy a light the ring fit on.
I'm still on the hunt for a 3D printed version with some custom mods that will hold up to abuse.