Proper coating on Gen 5 rmr cut?

oda175

Welp.... pretty much shut down that argument. @Yondering

Anyways- the lack of bosses has caused me little issue. If you see them as a deal breaker- get them. Ill continue to use Mark Housel at LM Precision. The RMR’ed G26 can shoot- fun gun- and works well for trail runs in my chest pack.
A1A062B1-C445-4DEE-BE72-6622093FACC2.jpeg

David Mayeur

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the lecture, really needed that. Guess what - I do mill slides, along with a lot of other machine work. "If I've seen the cut sheet for an RMR" - lol. I actually do have a mechanical engineering degree, and have been machining parts since 1996. I wouldn't be commenting on this stuff if I didn't know what I'm talking about, unlike some people.

Some of you guys don't even know enough to figure out who to believe, and certainly aren't in a position to be giving advice on the topic.

What is your company's name?

I"m about to go through this same process, and also want to preserve the oem finish on this glock gen 5.

Anyone have longer term experience painting under their rds and then sweating all over their gun?
Are there any other routes I should investigate to treat just the cut?
Or am I being foolish not having jagerwerks cerakote or nitride the whole thing?

Thanks

Chriscanbreach

Established
And to be clear I’m not on any team. I just can’t stand pompous nerdery. Oda is right the fit for and aft is where the money is. And my ATEI slide still has the bosses.
So to the OPs point.
Slide finish is what ever you want. I choose to have my slides redone in nitride. Some of my mates like the ceracote option. They’re also Gucci Hollywood boys and are insane pirates. What offerings does your machinist offer?

Yondering

@Yondering yeah what company do you mill slides for?
Didn’t you say it was ok if the machinist encroached into the firing pin safety plunger just a couple months ago?

Who said I worked for any company? I don't do this for a business, I do it for myself, but have the qualifications and experience to know how to do it right as well as what matters and what doesn't. I certainly don't sell anything here or accept any work from forum members, so I'm not profiting by anything I'm saying here. I'm just a guy in the right position to see that some of what this industry is doing is purely marketing strategy.

Pompous nerdery is the guys who don't actually know anything about this stuff arguing a point based on what they've read online or heard on a podcast somewhere. What kind of arrogance does it take to convince yourself you know something about this, with zero experience or training in this field?
Not to mention - show me one example of a problem with an RMR slide milling that was caused by a lack of bosses? People have been milling slides for RMRs this way for over 10 years now, and when the slide is milled for a tight fit as oda175's was, there is no problem in retention or in returning to zero after battery replacements.

And no, I didn't say it was "OK" if a machinist broke into the plunger hole. If you actually read what I said, you'd know that. I said it wouldn't cause the malfunctions he was having, and if it did break through it wasn't a trashed slide.
I'm pretty sure from your responses that you don't know much more about this stuff than the other two, just like in that other thread. Stick to what you know, don't convince yourself you know more than your experience is worth.

Chriscanbreach

Established
Look bro you’re wrong.
If you machine a slide and hit the firing pin safety you made a mistake and the slide is ruined. Other wise you’re saying its Gud enough.

I don’t doubt your ability and experience because I don’t know you. And you sure as hell don’t know me so save your E rage dude.

I do question your need to explain yourself and give an unverifiable resume every time you attempt to belittle a man who’s just asking a question or those who reply based on their unique experience.
Just state your opinion man, and if people don’t agree that’s okay too.

I’m ambivalent to recoil bosses but Doug put them on my gun for some reason and that’s okay with me.

Yondering

I do question your need to explain yourself and give an unverifiable resume every time you attempt to belittle a man who’s just asking a question or those who reply based on their unique experience.
Just state your opinion man, and if people don’t agree that’s okay too.

That's a weird way to respond when I was answering your direct question about where I'm coming from on this. You didn't come here "just asking a question", you came here to jump into an argument.
I'm seeing from this and the other thread that you like to pick and choose what to ignore in a discussion to fit your argument; I'm not interested in that kind of twisted debating or in any further discussions with you.

David Mayeur

For the sake of entertaining your argument, can you provide data that proves bosses are just marketing?

Given that you claim to meet the criteria for speaking on the subject, I'm curious to hear how you came to that conclusion. You have the floor, sir.

Jager's nitride looks pretty good so I've chosen to go that route. What I found with google and ddg was a lot of random positive feedback across insta and reddit. Just in case anyone is looking into coatings/finishes... I wonder if they would nitride dawson's sights..

David Mayeur

Jager's nitride looks pretty good so I've chosen to go that route. What I found with google and ddg was a lot of random positive feedback across insta and reddit. Just in case anyone is looking into coatings/finishes... I wonder if they would nitride dawson's sights..

I'm fairly certain they send off parts for nitride. You can also contact Primary Machine. They send off parts in batches to a third party for nitride. The only thing they do in house (for coatings) is cerakote.

I'm fairly certain they send off parts for nitride. You can also contact Primary Machine. They send off parts in batches to a third party for nitride. The only thing they do in house (for coatings) is cerakote.
They (jager) do send them out. It adds 2-3 weeks to the lead time according to their website. Anyone know where they send them to?