Proper coating on Gen 5 rmr cut?

Clay1

If I take a new Glock Gen 5 with the DLC coating and have it milled for a RMR. What's the proper course of action to protect the bare metal?

One company said: It doesn't need anything there, just oil it and go.

One said they could put tool black in that spot.

Another has black nitride, but does the whole slide and removes the DLC on the rest of the slide. Why would I want to remove the DLC which is a great coating?

One says that Cerakote is too thick and will change the cut dimensions required another says that Cerakote is one of the thinnest coatings available.

My first build, this bothered me so much that I just bought a complete slide with DLC that already had the rmr cut. A Zev Technologies slide. Now considering doing another RMR mounted firearm and revisiting this question.

Yondering

If you're really picky about it, you'd need to have the whole slide coated (with whatever you prefer) after milling.

Personally I just use a tough black epoxy paint on the cut and leave the factory nitride finish on the rest of the slide. Paint protects metal from rust really well, and who cares what it looks like when it's under the RMR.

Caomhin

If I take a new Glock Gen 5 with the DLC coating and have it milled for a RMR. What's the proper course of action to protect the bare metal?

One company said: It doesn't need anything there, just oil it and go.

One said they could put tool black in that spot.

Another has black nitride, but does the whole slide and removes the DLC on the rest of the slide. Why would I want to remove the DLC which is a great coating?

One says that Cerakote is too thick and will change the cut dimensions required another says that Cerakote is one of the thinnest coatings available.

My first build, this bothered me so much that I just bought a complete slide with DLC that already had the rmr cut. A Zev Technologies slide. Now considering doing another RMR mounted firearm and revisiting this question.

Remove the DLC
HAVE THE SLIDE MELONITED
HAVE DLC REAPPLIED

ATEI can assist you here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Mayeur

Anyone doing good work will ask that you refinish the entire slide.

Primary Machine offers Cerakote, Black Nitride, and a few other finishes if I recall. My slide was black nitrided two years ago and I've had zero issues.

ATEi also has a variety of finishes and as Caomhin mentioned, they will work with you.

oda175

Just had mine cut by L and M Precision (Mark Housel). He refinishes only the cut itself. Will be dropped off today via USPS- will post pictures.

Looked Mark up- has been machining RMR cuts for a long time- has great reviews on lightfighter forums.

I was in same boat as OP- have a Gen 5 26- and didnt want a bare slide- nor did I want to recoat the slide in cerakote. More to follow....

oda175

Looks good so far- RMR fit perfect no movement at all

Attachments

• CAD8DB1F-FFF5-46DF-95F5-58C756479821.jpeg
    CAD8DB1F-FFF5-46DF-95F5-58C756479821.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 3E776172-4285-45ED-BDCF-A0CD4B78A603.jpeg
    3E776172-4285-45ED-BDCF-A0CD4B78A603.jpeg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 73572208-1EC1-4A93-A4E7-104B2802E21D.jpeg
    73572208-1EC1-4A93-A4E7-104B2802E21D.jpeg
    859.9 KB · Views: 80

Clay1

So the numbers just don't add up for this guy. I recently bought a G19.5 with front serrations and went about turning it into a RS. I bought a complete slide because the cost of machining a stock slide from a reputable provider was NOT cost effective and the turn around time for most was not acceptable. if you found a reasonable price on the milling the final product was not up to the spec of the OEM product.

So I bought a slide with DLC finishing that was already milled. I then bought a threaded match barrel, a comp, a RM06 adj 3.25 and I already had a Surefire 300U light. The gun is close to 2K finished, but I have another complete slide and barrel. I just bought a complete lower which turned the one project into two G19.5 complete guns. One as a RS and one as a stock 19.5.

I really think at this point that one should just buy a milled complete slide and just buy a Glock complete frame for this project instead of starting with a complete gun.

The gun is close to 2K finished, but I have another complete slide and barrel. I just bought a complete lower which turned the one project into two G19.5 complete guns. One as a RS and one as a stock 19.5.

I really think at this point that one should just buy a milled complete slide and just buy a Glock complete frame for this project instead of starting with a complete gun.

LOL... I recently went down the same road myself. By the time I was done I was like, "Shit! All I need is a frame and I'll have another 19!"
So my son bought himself a frame and after a few small parts he now has his own "stock" G19.

If I do it again I will just build it up from a frame.

I'm about to go through this same process, and also want to preserve the oem finish on this glock gen 5.

Anyone have longer term experience painting under their rds and then sweating all over their gun?
Are there any other routes I should investigate to treat just the cut?
Or am I being foolish not jagerwerks cerakote or nitride the whole thing?

Thanks

oda175

The 2500ish (been 2.5x cases) rounds that has gone through the pistol thus far kinda lessens that concern for me.

I understand the desire for mounting bosses, but when the tolerance is so tight on the rear and front of the optic, the need for what they do is alleviated.

Yondering

I’m very familiar. Have had mulled guns from both ATEi and Boresight, and MOS guns with CHPWS plates. I prefer bosses, 4>2>none

If it disturbs you, then you are not really understanding what the bosses actually do.

On a properly cut slide like oda175 showed, with no RMR movement, having bosses in the cut does nothing but make people feel better. It doesn't make the RMR more secure (it's already a solid fit), and tolerances being what they are, the sight will only be restrained by 2 contact points in each direction. That already exists without bosses in place.

Bosses are necessary on slide cuts for most other red dot sights because either they don't have a radius on one end (Vortex) for lateral restraint, or their tolerances are such that a tight fit for one example won't fit other samples (DeltaPoint Pro). In those cases, bosses are necessary and good.

But with the RMR sights, they are unnecessary unless the ends of the slide cut are a loose fit to the RMR. Mostly they are a marketing point for people who don't know/understand the details of mounting needs for each type of red dot sight.

I’m very familiar. Have had mulled guns from both ATEi and Boresight, and MOS guns with CHPWS plates. I prefer bosses, 4>2>none

If it disturbs you, then you are not really understanding what the bosses actually do.

On a properly cut slide like oda175 showed, with no RMR movement, having bosses in the cut does nothing but make people feel better. It doesn't make the RMR more secure (it's already a solid fit), and tolerances being what they are, the sight will only be restrained by 2 contact points in each direction. That already exists without bosses in place.

Bosses are necessary on slide cuts for most other red dot sights because either they don't have a radius on one end (Vortex) for lateral restraint, or their tolerances are such that a tight fit for one example won't fit other samples (DeltaPoint Pro). In those cases, bosses are necessary and good.

But with the RMR sights, they are unnecessary unless the ends of the slide cut are a loose fit to the RMR. Mostly they are a marketing point for people who don't know/understand the details of mounting needs for each type of red dot sight.

I’ll let you argue your point with guys like Doug that do both. There’s no good reason to not do both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Mayeur

Mostly they are a marketing point for people who don't know/understand the details of mounting needs for each type of red dot sight.

Machine time = Money

If they were unnecessary, then you wouldn't see ATEi, Primary Machine, and others including them. ATEi and PM will also ask you to send your specific optic with the slide. Tolerances vary. If you've seen the cut sheet for a RMR housing, you would see why that is important. You can argue all day on why they are unimportant, but unless you can show me your Mechanical Engineering degree or proof that you've been running machines for 20 years, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Best advice I can give anyone when looking into having an optic mounted is don't go cheap and do your homework.

Yondering

Machine time = Money

If they were unnecessary, then you wouldn't see ATEi, Primary Machine, and others including them. ATEi and PM will also ask you to send your specific optic with the slide. Tolerances vary. If you've seen the cut sheet for a RMR housing, you would see why that is important. You can argue all day on why they are unimportant, but unless you can show me your Mechanical Engineering degree or proof that you've been running machines for 20 years, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Best advice I can give anyone when looking into having an optic mounted is don't go cheap and do your homework.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the lecture, really needed that. Guess what - I do mill slides, along with a lot of other machine work. "If I've seen the cut sheet for an RMR" - lol. I actually do have a mechanical engineering degree, and have been machining parts since 1996. I wouldn't be commenting on this stuff if I didn't know what I'm talking about, unlike some people.

Some of you guys don't even know enough to figure out who to believe, and certainly aren't in a position to be giving advice on the topic.