Virginia 2019 Election

Bawkbird

Amateur
Virginia is about to shove gun bills through legislative branches like someone on a diet of bran cereal, prune juice, and laxatives. Encourage everyone in VA to get involved with Virginia Citizen's Defense League (VCDL) and start calling up representatives as soon as possible. Going to get really ugly fast. Governor is going to make a lot of VA citizens felons. A lot of out of state money went into the results of this election and once a safe 2A state, is going to make a lot of anti 2A states blush.

Nick29

I lived in VA 5 years ago. It's shocking to me that it has shifted so much so fast. One of the bills I've seen floating around includes suppressors in their big gun ban.

Second the VCDL recommendation. I've been a member for a little over a year and they are well-organized and active.

Barry B

The election surprised me greatly. Immediately after (next day) I joined VCDL and Gun Owners of America. Emailing representatives is also on my list. Voices must be heard. This is insane. Truly insane.

Barry B

Question... does anyone else think that NON-NFA itesm (ie- GLOCKS, etc.) should be transferred into an NFA trust. I have an NFA Trust... and my AR, Glocks, and shotgun are not in the trust. Just my suppressor, which remains in ATF jail.

Thoughts?

JLL2013

Being a forum with a heavy law enforcement presence, there is a lot of speculation about police forces and sheriff's offices in the SW VA won't enforce these laws they deem unconstitutional. What is y'alls thoughts on that?

LEO's not enforcing laws is a fantasy.
Even if they won't go door to door and confiscate your stuff you will be unable to take your gear to a range, match, etc without fear of severe legal consequences. No man is an island...

Wake27

Question... does anyone else think that NON-NFA itesm (ie- GLOCKS, etc.) should be transferred into an NFA trust. I have an NFA Trust... and my AR, Glocks, and shotgun are not in the trust. Just my suppressor, which remains in ATF jail.

Thoughts?

Why? Putting something in a trust just brings it to the ATF’s attention. That’s the last thing I’d do.

I left VA like two months ago. It’s a real shame, and I’m very curious what’s going to happen with the number of gun owners there. Sadly that’s what happens when a ton of democrats run completely unopposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

Why? Putting something in a trust just brings it to the ATF’s attention. That’s the last thing I’d do.

I left VA like two months ago. It’s a real shame, and I’m very curious what’s going to happen with the number of gun owners there. Sadly that’s what happens when a ton of democrats run completely unopposed.

ATF enforces federal law, not state law. If your NFA items are possessed and used in accordance with federal law, ATF does not care beyond that.

JB1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f6656e-00b7-11ea-8bab-0fc209e065a8_story.html

Wasting no time hammering out details. Biggest news will be the bans will probably have no grandfathering.

Being a forum with a heavy law enforcement presence, there is a lot of speculation about police forces and sheriff's offices in the SW VA won't enforce these laws they deem unconstitutional. What is y'alls thoughts on that?

I don’t think think anyone would proactively search for violations. I think you would have a problem when another circumstance brings them to LE attention.

on a related note, notice the difference in language the governor uses in this interview from 11/8/2019:

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=777567673

KELLY: May I ask about one specific change you advocated before? And it sounds like it's on your list - an assault weapons ban.

NORTHAM: Yes.

KELLY: What is your plan for assault weapons currently owned by Virginians, that are already out there? Will you confiscate them?

NORTHAM: Well - no, ma'am, not at this stage. What - we're looking at the banning the sales of assault weapons. We'll certainly, you know, again, vet these pieces of legislation. But that would be what we would start with.

KELLY: You would propose a ban on sales going forward?

NORTHAM: Absolutely.

Bawkbird

Amateur
That is a big change in tune. Probably saw the reaction from saying he was going over plausibility of confiscation.

rcbusmc

They don't have to take the ones we already have, the smart ones are playing the long game, don't let us get any more, turn the young against possession of them, make it harder and harder to transfer or inherit the ones we already have and in a generation or two they will all be collected up... And the sad thing is that many current owners would acquiesce to this happening as long as they will be allowed to keep their precious's.

Bawkbird

Amateur
Less then a month since election and at 29 counties passing 2A sanctuary status’. While this is simply a signaling to Richmond, I’d say it’s a good start. Doesn’t seem like VA is going to roll over like some of the past anti 2A states. Big divide and a lot of pissed of people.

Attachments

• 195A2254-1BC8-458C-A62A-E1B8DAC7A121.jpeg
    195A2254-1BC8-458C-A62A-E1B8DAC7A121.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 27

JB1

I just noticed this part today.

“Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm. "Assault firearm" does not include (i) a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, (ii) an antique firearm as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2, or (iii) a curio or relic as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?192+ful+HB4021

If I’m understanding that correctly, it means possession of collapsible stocks and vertical fore grips would be charged as possession of an assault firearm.

Wake27

I just noticed this part today.

“Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm. "Assault firearm" does not include (i) a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, (ii) an antique firearm as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2, or (iii) a curio or relic as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?192+ful+HB4021

If I’m understanding that correctly, it means possession of collapsible stocks and vertical fore grips would be charged as possession of an assault firearm.

Hopefully not with the entire context (it’s been a little bit since I read the whole thing), but that part to me sounds like it could be manipulated to mean anything other than the specified exemptions in (i-iii).

HighTower

Sounds like the writers are smarter than the Boulder CO folks, the legal text was written backwards, they cited mother jones magazine for stats, it was mind blowing horrible to read.

Frosty_Bear

Updated map of localities and their stated stances for those curious. Released 3 days ago.

Attachments

• 26December2019SanctuaryMap.jpg
    26December2019SanctuaryMap.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 28