STI 2011 Thread

PM07

Staff member
I'm currently on my 2nd STI. My first was a Marauder that I bought probably 5 years ago as a pure fun gun. I put a bunch of rounds through it, like 2000-ish IIRC. I had a couple of failures to feed which I attributed to the way my support side thumbs rides the slide.

I picked up a 5" Hex Tac beginning of July, after seeing all the Staccato P love being spread and getting me wanting another. I'm right at 1500ish rounds through it so far. I've had 2 Failure to Feed, again support thumb riding the slide. When I keep my damn thumb out of the way, its fine. That's a me issue. I'm used to support thumb just going where it goes. Now getting back to support thumb along the frame, time will tell.

3 years ago I said that there is little that a STI can do that a Glock can't do at a lower price. Do I still stand by that? Honestly, I'm not sure yet. From a pure accuracy standpoint, comparing my G19 with Dawson F/O front sight to the STI with its F/O front sight, the STI is winning. I've gotten it approved for duty use and qualified with it, shooting a 300/300. I will not be carrying it for patrol (Yet?) but for my part time job/Court etc.

It is currently on its way to Buhler Ballistics to get one of Chambers Custom RDSM plate installed to get some red dot time on it. The Gen 2 mags seem to be making the difference , I'm going to order a couple of more. I'm super digging the Staccato P DUO and will take that plunge beginning of next year hopefully.

chrisp2493

Amateur
Is the Stacatto P Duo legal for carry optics in USPSA? I know magwell are permitted and I don’t know how if the Stacatto’s Magwell bumps it to open class or if it’s removable. I’m also curious how well the Stacatto would compete against the more expensive pistols in STI’s lineup for competition use only

2 Questions
1.How much is the Chambers cut for an optic?
2. Do you think it would be worth doing a Chambers cut for an RMR or ACRO vs getting the DUO system?

ch3777

Amateur
Is the Stacatto P Duo legal for carry optics in USPSA? I know magwell are permitted and I don’t know how if the Stacatto’s Magwell bumps it to open class or if it’s removable. I’m also curious how well the Stacatto would compete against the more expensive pistols in STI’s lineup for competition use only
It would be in open. CO guns cannot be single action and must be on the production gun list. As for it being competitive, It would be in the right hands. Shane Coley has won a lot of limited and open championships with a Glock.

chrisp2493

Amateur

I meant to say “magwells are NOT permitted on carry optics guns”. Mistyped and couldn’t go back for an edit.

gskip33

Staccato P duo would be a open gun and it would get stomped. Everyone else in open is shooting a 2011 with a comp and frame mounted red dot with major scoring. The Duo P is a great little gun, but you’d have a slide ride dot, no comp, and minor scoring. You could still have fun though.

Normal Staccato P would be Limited Minor gun, so it’d be at a big disadvantage as well.

Minor vs major scoring is typically a 5% bump for good shooters, maybe more if you shoot a TON of Charlie’s and deltas.

PM07

Staff member
2 Questions
1.How much is the Chambers cut for an optic?
2. Do you think it would be worth doing a Chambers cut for an RMR or ACRO vs getting the DUO system?

1. Check his website for the exact pricing. Plate was $125, milling was $165 IIRC. He is selling the plate not doing the milling. He has 2 shops that he is using to mill the slide for the plate, you pick which shop you want to use. I looked at Buhlers work and it looked good so that's who I went with.

2. Not sure to be honest. I want to see the actual height difference between the DUO and the RDSM plate with a RMR. Remember the DUO is cut for the DPP so if you are using that, then it may serve you better.

3. On the DUO System, it has some extra points in its favor . Rear sight where I like it and the tabs design looks to help with durability.

Here is a video from Jim Dexter that covers it.

1. Check his website for the exact pricing. Plate was $125, milling was $165 IIRC. He is selling the plate not doing the milling. He has 2 shops that he is using to mill the slide for the plate, you pick which shop you want to use. I looked at Buhlers work and it looked good so that's who I went with.

what does the chambers plate offer over the trijicon plate? are the sights regular height or suppressor height?

JLL2013

1) The chambers plate (RDSM) sits significantly lower in the slide than the DUO or the Trijicon plate. This matters for shooting as well as holster compatibilty.
2) The RDSM aligns with standard height sights.
3) The RDSM is designed to work well with ALL optics the plate is available for (currently the RMR and soon the ACRO). The STI system only works well with the DPP; everything else is "just ok."
4) The RDSM holds the optic TIGHT and has significant, stainless steel recoil bosses. Think of it as the difference in fit between a generic RMR cut and an ATEI custom cut. I don't know how tight an STI or Trjicon plate is, but I'm willing to bet the RDSM is more secure. What's holding the RMR from moving front and back in the mount on an STI plate? Nothing but the screws.
5) The RDSM is mounted at 1degree angle to align with the barrel of a 1911/2011. This makes presentation quicker. The STI plate is also at this angle; I don't know about the trijicon but it probably isn't.
6) You can't get a trijicon plate without tritium. Personal preference but it seems like a lot of people are picking up on the very very narrow window of tritium usefulness and moving away from it. I don't have that problem with the RDSM; flat black irons that do their job well and don't interfere with the optic.
7) RDSM is not cost prohibitive; total cost is on par with everything else out there.

If you're mounting an optic on a 1911/2011 type pistol I think the RDSM is the way to go.

I did not know about the chambers plate till recently i like the idea of the option to the rear sight mounted forward in front of the red dot..i have the trijicon..no complaints after it is properly mounted..can the rear sight on the chambers plate be changed to a suppressor height?

Buck8154

STI
Vendor
1) The chambers plate (RDSM) sits significantly lower in the slide than the DUO or the Trijicon plate. This matters for shooting as well as holster compatibilty.
3) The RDSM is designed to work well with ALL optics the plate is available for (currently the RMR and soon the ACRO). The STI system only works well with the DPP; everything else is "just ok."
4) The RDSM holds the optic TIGHT and has significant, stainless steel recoil bosses. Think of it as the difference in fit between a generic RMR cut and an ATEI custom cut. I don't know how tight an STI or Trjicon plate is, but I'm willing to bet the RDSM is more secure. What's holding the RMR from moving front and back in the mount on an STI plate? Nothing but the screws.
5) The RDSM is mounted at 1degree angle to align with the barrel of a 1911/2011. This makes presentation quicker. The STI plate is also at this angle; I don't know about the trijicon but it probably isn't.
6) You can't get a trijicon plate without tritium. Personal preference but it seems like a lot of people are picking up on the very very narrow window of tritium usefulness and moving away from it. I don't have that problem with the RDSM; flat black irons that do their job well and don't interfere with the optic.
7) RDSM is not cost prohibitive; total cost is on par with everything else out there.

If you're mounting an optic on a 1911/2011 type pistol I think the RDSM is the way to go.
The duo system has stainless steel pins for the rmr as well, and plates for the acro are in testing. The duo is cut more than 1 degree down towrds the muzzle. Just an fyi so you have the correct info. I have not used any of the other mounting systems listed.

Buck8154

STI
Vendor
We didnt make it for competition, so I have no idea if it meets the rules or not.

PM07

Staff member

Yeah, that Chambers guy knows his stuff :)

MisterMoad

Just saw STI picked up Hilton Yam as a Field Director of the 2011 Operational User and Armorer Program.
Pretty great to see them tap a guy with so much experience with 1911s/2011s to head up a program like that.

Congrats Hilton.

user12358

I got to put 10 rounds through a Staccato P with an RMR09 yesterday and was impressed by how effortless the gun is to shoot. The gun feels really well sprung and dot returns without much effort at all. The trigger is as delightful as any well built 1911/2011 trigger would be and is a breath of fresh air in a world of striker fired handguns.

I would really like to see an ACRO setup that gets a lot deeper into the slide then the RMR (I know that the optic system is designed to not have to change the front sight but I can promise you that I'm never putting a DPP on a gun and would rather not have to still deal with the front sight and optic height that are inherent to that optic). Overall I definitely think STI is onto something here.

10 rounds @ 25yards. I believe that the rings are B-8 sized but am honestly not 100% certain. Also as a small point of personal annoyance, I completely felt myself throw the shot to the left on the sixth shot.
IMG_2372.jpg

YetiSam

Amateur
Can anyone help me diagnose my Staccato P Duo? Specifically, I'm having a lot of FTE's with the occasional double feed. I've having these issues with or without a RMR mounted. The pistol is at 852 rounds now and it's getting worse, not better.

Specifically, I'm wanting to know if your extractor keeps a case flat against the breech face on a working model? Mine has a lot of play and the case can move out far enough to see daylight between the case head and the breech face. (see attached photo).

Things I've done:
  • Clean 5 times, trying two different lubes. ALG Purple Juice and Slip 2000
  • Ordered 2 new magazines to rule my magazines out.
  • Tried the following ammo: Speer Lawman 147gr, S&B 115gr, Speer Gold Dots both 124gr and 147gr.
  • Increased and decreased extractor tension while at the range trying different tensions, but receiving a malfunction on all of them.
  • Opened a warranty case with STI. After 4 days of no response, I called them and was told I'd be called back in a few minutes. That never happened. I'll follow up with them again Monday, but maybe there's something that's easy here that I don't know about in my ignorance.

The accuracy and performance of this handgun seems amazing, but it's gotta be reliable for me to keep it. Any ideas? I'm not a 1911 guy, so I'm out of ideas here.

Attachments

• sti_extractor.png
    sti_extractor.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 76