"Essential" Glock upgrades?

Yondering

Gun works just fine as is. Factory night sights in '99, changed them last year for the same but brighter(Tritrium has a half life of 12 years) I haven't done anything to my gen 3 19 except shoot the shit out of it. 200k+ rounds and probably a million dry fires. Do what you want to the gun just make sure you don't break it making changes

I agree with this. I don't think any "upgrades" are essential, although there are several nice-to-haves, steel sights being the first on the list of course. I prefer trigger improvements on all of mine, but what I do depends on the gun, and I wouldn't consider any of that essential.

One thing that surprises me here is how many are listing extended (mostly Vickers) mag releases and slide stops - did a bunch of you guys take Vickers classes or something? For me, and based on my training and experience, those are the two main things I do NOT want on my carry guns. It's just too easy to drop a mag accidentally on the draw or in a scuffle, and too easy to hit an extended slide stop when shooting with less than ideal grip positions; neither of those things are helpful to winning a fight IMO, and really unnecessary anyway.

I know some will disagree with that, but that's been my experience in shooting and training. I'm not law enforcement or mil but some of the guys I train with are, and all have come to the same conclusions.

krax

I don't care for any extended slide release, but I put Vickers mag releases in all of my Glocks. No, I haven't taken his classes. Weird question though.

The reason a lot of guys use the Vickers mag release is that it extends out farther than the factory mag release, but not as far as Glock's extended release so it's less likely to be pressed inadvertently.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I agree with this. I don't think any "upgrades" are essential, although there are several nice-to-haves, steel sights being the first on the list of course. I prefer trigger improvements on all of mine, but what I do depends on the gun, and I wouldn't consider any of that essential.

One thing that surprises me here is how many are listing extended (mostly Vickers) mag releases and slide stops - did a bunch of you guys take Vickers classes or something? For me, and based on my training and experience, those are the two main things I do NOT want on my carry guns. It's just too easy to drop a mag accidentally on the draw or in a scuffle, and too easy to hit an extended slide stop when shooting with less than ideal grip positions; neither of those things are helpful to winning a fight IMO, and really unnecessary anyway.

I know some will disagree with that, but that's been my experience in shooting and training. I'm not law enforcement or mil but some of the guys I train with are, and all have come to the same conclusions.

So I tried both. The mag release lasted about 30 seconds and never saw the range. I found it harder to drop the mag than the factory gen 4 part. But the vickers slide stop, yeah that's money for me. It seems weird to describe it but it gets it out of the way of my grip but also makes it easier to drop the slide at the same time. I'm going to order a few more. Never been to vickers class. Never plan to.

I think the only essential is sights. Can you shoot well with the stock ones in a pinch? Yeah, but they'll break.

I have an OP trigger and an s3f barrel in mine and it is undercut/stippled, but those are just nice-to-haves. I'd go back to my factory barrel if I hadn't sold it.

Yondering

No, I haven't taken his classes. Weird question though.

It wasn't meant to be a weird or offensive question. It's just common for people who've attended training with a certain organization to buy gear from them as well; that's why I asked.

Barry B

Every Glock I own (and every one I own is intended to be carried for defensive use) gets the exact same treatement.

TruGlo TFO model sights
Extended slide release
Extended mag release

Other than that I make no modifications.

Barry

weaver1032

All of my Glocks get the same upgrades before being carried.

They include:
-Vickers Mag Release
-Vickers Slide Stop
-Grip plug (usually just a cheap Pearce Grips one)
-A rear U-Notch sight (I've used Vickers Battlesight, Trijicon HD, and 10-8s). For subcompacts, I like the Trijicon HD's for 19s, 17s etc I prefer 10-8 rear and fiber optic front
-Triggerguard undercut

I don't do anything with the grips, but have found I really prefer the Gen 5 grip.

I don't mess with internals at all due to policy and that Glocks that fail are usually failure prone due to internal mods.

Yondering

Every Glock I own (and every one I own is intended to be carried for defensive use) gets the exact same treatement.

TruGlo TFO model sights
Extended slide release
Extended mag release

Other than that I make no modifications.

Barry

I intentionally remove both of those from any pistol I'll carry for defensive use, especially the extended mag release which can result in dropping a mag when things are up close and personal.

Barry B

I intentionally remove both of those from any pistol I'll carry for defensive use, especially the extended mag release which can result in dropping a mag when things are up close and personal.

The parts I install are marginally larger than the OEM stuff, so I don't believe there are significant concerns about someone dropping my mag on me. If they are that far up on me, I am in a bad way already. My hands are small, so I will trade that (what I believe to be) relatively small risk for the ability to more easily work the controls on the gun. YMMV.

WUtah

What I found "essential" on Gen3 G19:

Sights (Some type of contrast with narrow front sight)
Swap serrated trigger for factory smooth trigger (Also used lighter connector)
Mag release (I tried the factory extended which would cause the mag to drop out when I didn't want it to. What I did was trimmed it down to just past the length of the stock factory mag release, textured and rounded the corners. I replaced that with the factory and scalloped the frame out around the mag release, which helps guide my thumb and give enough positive pressure to drop the mag)
Under cut the trigger guard (Really helped with, "Glock knuckle" and made me able to hold the frame even higher up)
I really dig all the carry profile magwells out there but never really noticed a difference in reloads when using them vs stock.
I used a aftermarket barrel for a while which did seem to tighten up cheap ammo but went back to a stock barrel because there just wasn't enough of a improvement for myself.
Steel guide rod is awesome but can't tell a difference except the noise It makes when I rack the slide...
Still waiting to test out those maritime spring cups...

Barry B

Oh, +1 for undercutting the trigger guard for high round count days. Tore my knuckle UP once. Got a dremel tool and it was like magic. No pain, and super smooth.

Only gun I have undercut the trigger guard on is my G19 GEN4, as that is the only gun I take to the range - in general.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Need to have: Sights is about it. Make mine Dawson Adjustables with no wider than .125 front.
Nice to have: In the Gen 3 guns I like an extended mag release. I usually just take a factory one and take the edges off. Not really necessary on the Gen 4. Magwell, I’ve come to like the Magpul one a lot. Minus factory connector. Smooth face Trigger. Weapon Light. Extended slide stop

David Mayeur

Sights are the only essential thing for everyone. The factory polymer sights are dovetail protectors, not sights.

Essential for me:
Upgraded Sights - Ameriglo Defoors at a minimum
Stippling
Factory Extended Slide Stop
Extended Magazine Release (if Gen 4)

So about $50 in added parts to a stock gun makes it ideal for what I want.

Seth Thompson

Sights are the only change I make.

My duty gun has an RMR/ MOS sight setup, with Ameriglo suppressor height sights as the backups. All else is stock. My other Glocks have better irons; Trijicon HD's, Ameriglo Agents, etc.

I haven't reached my maximum performance with the stock stuff, so I'm going to stay away from new barrels and other things.

I've got big hands and long fingers, so I'm able to work the stock controls easily under stress. Other people may need some enhancement, and that's fine, too.

Yondering

I would love to see any data you have on this occurring.

My "data" is personal experience in practice, gun training classes, and the dojo (lots of FOF/dry gunfighting practice there). We've seen more dropped magazines from extended mag releases than anything else. Sometimes it's while grappling or fighting for the gun, or during the draw from contact with the holster or clothing.

In my experience any small practical value in either of those extended pieces is outweighed by the disadvantages on a fighting gun. Some guys try to copy competition stuff too much, without realizing the differences maybe. Once you get away from the square range mindset, some things that seem important really aren't, and some are just a bad idea.

Wake27

I would love to see any data you have on this occurring.

My "data" is personal experience in practice, gun training classes, and the dojo (lots of FOF/dry gunfighting practice there). We've seen more dropped magazines from extended mag releases than anything else. Sometimes it's while grappling or fighting for the gun, or during the draw from contact with the holster or clothing.

In my experience any small practical value in either of those extended pieces is outweighed by the disadvantages on a fighting gun. Some guys try to copy competition stuff too much, without realizing the differences maybe. Once you get away from the square range mindset, some things that seem important really aren't, and some are just a bad idea.

Are you talking about hand to hand stuff or the shooter accidentally dropping the mag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Mayeur

Strange things happen in FoF, so I won't argue that. However, if you're seeing magazines accidentally dropped, it's a training issue. The same goes for an extended slide stop. If you are continually hitting the slide stop and locking the slide to the rear with a loaded magazine, it's not the gun's fault. It's your wonky grip. Another training issue.

In regards to the competition comment, if it were an issue, you would see more dropped magazines in competition.

Yondering

Are you talking about hand to hand stuff or the shooter accidentally dropping the mag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, hand to hand stuff, fighting for the gun, drawing during a grapple, etc. The type of thing that can happen in a real gunfight but is never seen on a square range or competition. Talking about proper grip and that sort of thing in that situation is a joke; spending some time actually doing this stuff highlights that pretty quickly. Extended mag releases and slide stops have zero benefit in this kind of situation; we're not going to win with a speed reload but we are more likely lose when the magazine disappears.