A few snubby questions

tmoore

The newest modcast was a real good'n and it just so happens I'm going to be picking up a S&W 49 within the week and it got me thinking. What are your favorite or recommended holsters for pocket carry or deep concielment? Also my thought is to use semi wadcutters for my defense ammo because I'm not going to be relying on expansion especially out of a 2" barrel. This will be coming with me every day to an NPE in lieu of my standard EDC pistol. Any recommendations or insights into using these little snubbies would be useful. I'm not a total stranger to revolvers but have very little time behind a snubnose.

David Mayeur

The PHLster City Special is an excellent AIWB wheel gun holster.
Dark Star Gear also makes the Apollo holster for J-Frames and the LCR.

Both holsters are capable of utilizing Discreet Carry Concepts clips and are designed with added length to help with concealment.

MrMurphy

Thought a Safariland 25 would be good. Turned out for me the softer rigs like a Mika for pocket carry work better for me.

Lasergrips turn them from firefight in a crowded elevator pieces to 20+ yard guns. Snubbies can be shot long distance with practice, the laser makes it easier for those of us who can't shoot weekly.

fwrun

I’ve been using a Dark Star Gear Apollo since before it was called the Apollo. I can carry the steel frame 640 in gym shorts and a slim fitting gym T-shirt completely unnoticed, and it works well in a suit as well.

I carry heavy slow wadcutters in that gun. My thoughts have been that, since I’m giving up expansion, I may as well have a light recoiling round that can cut a perfect hole, and won’t have issues deflecting off the skull.

Regarding CT grips, I used to have them on this gun. The small, plastic boot grip style ones. Quite comfortable to shoot, and improved accuracy for me at a time in my life when I was unable to shoot 5 times monthly. I have since removed the grips due to the width of them. I opted to replace them with slim service panels paired with a Tyler T grip. Narrower footprint, especially if you plan to carry in the pocket.

tmoore

I’ve been using a Dark Star Gear Apollo since before it was called the Apollo. I can carry the steel frame 640 in gym shorts and a slim fitting gym T-shirt completely unnoticed, and it works well in a suit as well.

I carry heavy slow wadcutters in that gun. My thoughts have been that, since I’m giving up expansion, I may as well have a light recoiling round that can cut a perfect hole, and won’t have issues deflecting off the skull.

Regarding CT grips, I used to have them on this gun. The small, plastic boot grip style ones. Quite comfortable to shoot, and improved accuracy for me at a time in my life when I was unable to shoot 5 times monthly. I have since removed the grips due to the width of them. I opted to replace them with slim service panels paired with a Tyler T grip. Narrower footprint, especially if you plan to carry in the pocket.

Tyler T grips! thank you, ive been trying to figure out where to buy those and haven't had any luck. ive used them before on other peoples revolvers and liked them allot. they will be perfect for adding some extra grip without added bulk.

tmoore

I shoot pretty often so the next practice sesh at the range this week ill do some drills with it. ive read that, depending on the year of production the model 49 was prone to cracking behind the cylinder. from what i can tell the one im picking up is in good shape so im not to concerned about shooting it a decent amount. I'm also aware that they are not rated for +p so standard pressure ammo will be it. im trading for it tomorrow, ill post some pictures when i pick it up.

SmElly

I hate to thread jack, but I've also got some snubby questions:

I dont think I've ever heard of an SME pocket/ankle carrying an LCR. Is the LCR simply too large for pocket carry, despite being only slightly larger than a J frame?

Is there a consensus on maximum loaded weight for pocket carry?(An .327 LCR loaded with .32 long would weigh in around 20 oz, which would be a really sweet shooting gun by my estimation)

@fwrun weighed in on the service grip/Tgrip combo, I'd love to hear more grip recommendations for pocket carry.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, there's a reason I'm focused on an inferior carry method like pocket carry.

MrMurphy

Not a SME, but carried a 649 and 642 pocket on and off for years. Owned an LCR. While eminently shootable, it's just a tiny bit bigger than a 642 and that, for me made getting it out in a hurry problematic from a front pocket. Cargo pocket, jacket, sure.. pants, not so much.

fwrun

The “max weight” for pocket carry depends on your pants... Carhartt double front washed duck pants and a steel J with heavy wadcutters- no problem. Not going to work with dress pants though.

Anyone know which DCC clips will work with the City Special holster?

I could probably just measure and use my brain but, y'know, effort.

ayyyyyyy twins

kvWpaDA.jpg

sorry for the solder flakes, picture was taken on my workbench.

tmoore

Anyone know which DCC clips will work with the City Special holster?

I could probably just measure and use my brain but, y'know, effort.

ayyyyyyy twins

kvWpaDA.jpg

sorry for the solder flakes, picture was taken on my workbench.
thanks for posting your 49! I have the order form for the Tyler T grips printed i just haven't filled it out yet. I'v been debating on what color to go for.
how do you like them? they seem like a good option for a better grip and still remaining pretty low profile.

thanks for posting your 49! I have the order form for the Tyler T grips printed i just haven't filled it out yet. I'v been debating on what color to go for.
how do you like them? they seem like a good option for a better grip and still remaining pretty low profile.

It's a Model 38, in point of fact.

I like the T-grip for the reasons you said. The top of my middle finger used to get beat to shit before I put them on there. If I were going to shoot this gun more, I'd get rubber grips that cover the backstrap but I'm going for maximum concealability.

I might like something that fills out my palm a little bit better, like Eagle Secret Service grips, but I'm disinclined to drop $90 on a slight improvement for a get-off-me gun.

I have the 649 and the lighter weight 639. I usually carry these in a pocket or an IWB, I currently have a Galco IWB, soft holster but cow hide around the mouth of the holster. I carry 158 Gr Round nose, they shoot well in both guns. When I run long distances, I carry the 639 using a belly band. Both are good guns for deep carry.

tmoore

I'm looking into a 2nd snubby for practice and just as a back up to my back up. I'm looki into some S&W 3" options. The lightweight guns are nice but I prefer the slightly heavier options. I'm not one for pocket carry and when I run I dont bring a blaster. I'm about to place an order for a city special from phlster.

Dave T

Jack,

If you're willing to listen to someone who's carried a gun for over 50 years, starting the day I graduated from the police academy, loose the 158g RNL. They have a well earned reputation of not stopping bad guys unless you are very lucky. Go with 148g target wad cutters instead. Easy to shoot, brilliantly accurate, they penetrate above their pay grade, and they always cut a clean 36 caliber hole. Just sayin'.

tmoore

Just recieved a city special and picked up some federal gold medal match 148grain wadcutters. Now for the second snubby, I think this may be the beginning of an addiction.

Jack,

If you're willing to listen to someone who's carried a gun for over 50 years, starting the day I graduated from the police academy, loose the 158g RNL. They have a well earned reputation of not stopping bad guys unless you are very lucky. Go with 148g target wad cutters instead. Easy to shoot, brilliantly accurate, they penetrate above their pay grade, and they always cut a clean 36 caliber hole. Just sayin'.
Aww, darn it, I've got 50 of the little guys left, and they ain't real fun to shoot out of a really light gun... Or, maybe I'm just not used to shooting a snubbie.

nyeti

Staff member
It's a Model 38, in point of fact.

Unless it’s got an Aluminum frame and says “Airweight” on the right side of the barrel, it is a Model 49.

Pocket holsters: Safariland 25 or a Mika usually and it simply depend on the pants for me which one is better.

AIWB: I have a couple of the City Slickers I tend to use with the 2.25” steel guns, I use the Dark star Gear Apollo (and actually prefer the pre Apollo version) most of the time. I am currently testing a Keepers AIWB that I love, but they will be pricey if ever released.

Ammo-generally I use 148 Federal Match Wadcutters in the Airweight and Airlite Guns and 135gr. Short Barrel Gold Dot in the steel guns. I find the wadcutters to be the easiest to shoot well and tend to hit right to the sights which is critical.

The new company doing the Tyler T grips is not very reliable in my experience and I source old ones from eBay. I much prefer a good boot grip. The VZ’s are heavy but good, and I am a huge fan of Spegels, but they are expensive and rare. In a rubber grip...old Uncle Mikes and Hogue Bantams.

Glad you liked the podcast and hope this helps-DB