So you want a helmet for comms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgedaddy

So you want a helmet for comms? Don’t want to spend upwards of $1300 for an ops core helmet? Don’t want to settle for a $300 Chinese ballistic helmet?

Well look no further.

Old ACHs are abundant and cheap.
I’m gonna show you how to take an ACH and make it a helmet worthy of sticking a headset and some adapters to.

Step 1: Aquire an ACH. They can be had in almost any state for about $95 to $150 depending on condition. I found a smoking deal on a large that came with a team Wendy cam fit harness for $120.

Step 2: Aquire the ARC rails and an NVG shroud of your choice. I went with a Wilcox shroud and some ops core arc rails, both on foliage green as they were heavily discounted and I’m trying to stay relatively cheap.

Step 3: mark the helmet for cutting. I did this by mounting the rails to the ACH and tracing about 1/4 below the rails edge to still have room to re affix the helmet molding back on.

Step 4: make your cuts. I used a vice and a C clamp to hold the helmet steady while I slowly made my cuts with a skill saw and a handful of metal blades. The material will burn blades up. Helps to have more than 1. Also use a respirator and eye pro as the aramid fibers when inhaled are hazardous.

Step 5: select a 5 minute epoxy of your choosing and re attach the molding of the helmet from the ear pieces. Lots of clips and time are needed here. Go slow and do a little bit at a time. This will ensure that the open fibers you just exposed will get a good deal and not separate over time.

Step 6: paint it if you so desire or attach the rails, shroud, and inner pads and harness.

At the end you’ll have a functional highcut that can use all the modern accessories and still retains a 3a rating that you can trust.

C4FDED56-5567-4D41-AA25-89BF143EB503.jpegE3E85B2C-92A7-434E-9AE4-AAC82FD4EE6E.jpeg9B620969-E887-4D49-8BA9-D2F1AC08CCD8.jpeg004E701A-AEA2-4586-95C0-574189EB4D38.jpegDAC329FC-3098-4EBB-A615-3C1F8E7E6E7F.jpeg

shoobe01

Established
For discount mode: just get the proper size ACH and wear ears under it. It'll fit. I have run Sordins for years like this. Before that, I had the wrong size helmet, muddled through, did other stuff, mostly stupidly.

Using pads, you just push the side pads forward/rear so there's a gap for the earpro, and then remove the crown pad when wearing the ears. Keep it readily available! You need to put it back in when not wearing ears.

+1 on worries about cutting the helmet.

Also, I have done a bunch of refurbs and mods. You need to use a flexible adhesive for the rubber edge; epoxy will eventually allow the edging to fall off. G-Flex might work, but any good contact cement is a better choice; I use Seal All since it's so solvent-resistant.

If you simply must have a high cut helmet:
  1. Search out a DH123A/B (ballistic shell vs bump helmet). Get one in bad condition so you aren't sad when you shitcan the liner/comms. Paint it, add velcro, add pad kit, bolt on a harness.
  2. Save your pennies. If it matters, spend the money.

Ridgedaddy

What’s your background to recommend cutting up armor?
4 in the Corps and 2 in the Guard. Nobody special but I always have issues with what is issued to me and end up modifying or making me own to fill the holes.

I’ve also been a diesel mechanic and fabricator for many years. I have no issue cutting and sealing a helmet. As long as it’s sealed properly it’ll be fine.

Ridgedaddy

For discount mode: just get the proper size ACH and wear ears under it. It'll fit. I have run Sordins for years like this. Before that, I had the wrong size helmet, muddled through, did other stuff, mostly stupidly.

Using pads, you just push the side pads forward/rear so there's a gap for the earpro, and then remove the crown pad when wearing the ears. Keep it readily available! You need to put it back in when not wearing ears.

+1 on worries about cutting the helmet.

Also, I have done a bunch of refurbs and mods. You need to use a flexible adhesive for the rubber edge; epoxy will eventually allow the edging to fall off. G-Flex might work, but any good contact cement is a better choice; I use Seal All since it's so solvent-resistant.

If you simply must have a high cut helmet:
  1. Search out a DH123A/B (ballistic shell vs bump helmet). Get one in bad condition so you aren't sad when you shitcan the liner/comms. Paint it, add velcro, add pad kit, bolt on a harness.
  2. Save your pennies. If it matters, spend the money.
I looked at this originally but didn’t like the concept. Those shells do not accept ARC rails without a lot of modification to the rails. I’m satisfied with the cut ACH. There have been tests done by users in other forums that show that aramid fiber still retains its ballistic properties after being cut.

In your regards to wearing good earpro under a helmet it still doesn’t work for me. It puts way to much pressure on my head after a few hours and I end up with helmet head and a raging migraine. This is a much better solution than squeezing comms under the MICH/ACH, even though the Modular Integrated Communications Helmet was made for comms I find that Peltors don’t fit well under them.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
4 in the Corps and 2 in the Guard. Nobody special but I always have issues with what is issued to me and end up modifying or making me own to fill the holes.

I’ve also been a diesel mechanic and fabricator for many years. I have no issue cutting and sealing a helmet. As long as it’s sealed properly it’ll be fine.

If you’re going to recommend taking a saw to life safety equipment to make it accommodate your needs, you should probably have a “somebody special” title in the engineering/materials science fields.

Ridgedaddy

If you’re going to recommend taking a saw to life safety equipment to make it accommodate your needs, you should probably have a “somebody special” title in the engineering/materials science fields.
As previously stated there is research and proof that shows the properties of the helmet are not compromised when doing this. (Assuming you do this properly).

Mike_IA

And since that time more studies on ballistics, armor, and materials science have come along..... also “back in the day” people wore bump helmets rather than ballistic.

Just because it was historically done neither denotes correct nor safe.

Ridgedaddy

And since that time more studies on ballistics, armor, and materials science have come along..... also “back in the day” people wore bump helmets rather than ballistic.

Just because it was historically done neither denotes correct nor safe.
I didn’t make this post to argue with people on the internet about what THEY think is right or wrong.

If you want a highcut and don’t want to break the bank, this is it. It’s entirely up to YOU if you want to do this or not. As a professional fabricator/technician I feel fine doing this.

Mike_IA

Wh
As previously stated there is research and proof that shows the properties of the helmet are not compromised when doing this. (Assuming you do this properly).
Who tested it and link their studies.... it better be on par with HP White.

And by people on the internet you mean informed and professional endusers?

Ridgedaddy

Wh

Who tested it and link their studies.... it better be on par white HP White.

And by people on the internet you mean informed and professional endusers?
There are multiple videos/write-ups on this subject. I’m not doing work for you. This post is here for people that want a project that has a usable end result. Wear it in training, wear it wherever you feel comfortable.

That’s all I’m gonna say on it.

Ridgedaddy

As they say in \k\ sauce please.

You claim studies and still no sources..... I bets the YouTube let you down
I see reading is a critical skill you lack. Read 3 posts up and you’ll see I already answered your question. I’ve been wearing armor professionally for 8 years now. I am fine with what I’ve created.

Status
Not open for further replies.