"Tactical" Jeans

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
It was time to replace some old Levi’s and I was looking for something with a couple more pockets than your standard pair of jeans. Originally, I bought a pair of the Adaptiv-X (formerly Oxcart) Straight Fit jeans on Black Friday at the recommendation of TheKiltedPrivateer. Added a bunch more pockets (two front/two rear). The material was super soft (they could probably be pajamas comfortable). Thought I had a winner. Novel pocket design to get 9 pockets on there and still look like normal jeans.

The downside is the Black Friday price was $120. And they only come in one length, 34, so you have to have them hemmed at an additional cost. They were surprisingly baggy (cuff diameter same as a pair of Levi’s 569). I contacted Adaptiv-x and asked about the cuff circumference on their tapered fit, they estimated about 2” less diameter. Wasn’t really sure I wanted to play the by another pair and return one game.

A week or so later, Tactical Distributor’s released the Legend Jean. Going for $57 regularly, I got them on sale for 20% off. Picked up a pair of those after Christmas. Immediately decided they did just as good a job as the Adapti-x at well below half the cost (arranged to send those back). Material wasn’t as soft but reasonable. Also, they come in finished lengths so no need to shell out addition coin to get them hemmed. Pockets do exactly what I needed them to do. You can put an iPhone 8+ in a case inside the mag pockets in the back. You can put a G17/22 mag in them. Anything clipped like a light or knife is damn close to 3 or 9 o’clock and stays there. Once through the wash, with an extra rinse and they softened up even more.

The fit is roomy. Very roomy. Almost an absurd amount of room in the crotch. I almost feel like they should be worn around the belly button to because I can feel leg-to-leg skin before the pant legs begin. They also have large cuffs (same as 569s), which isn’t exactly what I was going for. Oddly, there is a belt loop right at 1 o’clock, right where I want to fasten my AIWB holster. Also, they bleed a fair amount during the first wash. Plan accordingly.

Seemed like the best bet going forward so I ordered a second pair only to discover the Vertx Defiance Jean, on sale for $43 from LA Police Gear (regularly $67).

Out of the package they are much more comfortable than the washed Legend jean. Rear pockets are slanted more like the Adaptiv-X jeans (legend are parallel with the yoke) but can still hold a iPhone 8+. A Glock 17 mag fits but it’s not completely covered. Also, they made with a Coolmax denim so that’s got to have some benefit. There is also a full gusset in the crotch for room to move. The belt loops are set off to about 2 o’clock so I can get the AIWB holster to go right where it needs to. Further, the belt loops are also clear of 3:30-4:00 for a hip carry piece.

The cuffs are close to those of 569 but not quite, about 1 inch off. That 1-inch of fabric makes a difference in style and feel. There is also stitching around the knees for articulation. The crotch is also much more reasonable. I would compare these close to a Kuhl Outkast pant in fit.

After a day of wearing them, the side slash pockets end up being pretty close to the belt. Not the easiest to put something big in the pocket. The iPhone 8+ doesn’t slide in quite as easily as before. Anything small is no big deal. Also, there was no noticeable bleeding of dye during the first wash.

Going forward, if I need another pair of jeans, the Vertx is where I am going.

Other jeans considered:
-5.11 defender – complaints of front pockets being too shallow from reviewers & it’s 5.11. Good stuff (sometimes) but we’re off duty here.
-Viktos – Weird high back (I get the point of the design but it looks so weird with the belt loops set well below the top line of the pants in the back)
-TD Stand Your Ground – weird pocket design putting stitching that doesn’t match in weird places / 1 multicam belt loop. WTF. Low profile people. Low profile.
-TAD Gear Jeans – don’t do the button fly / expensive / don’t care about the claims of it being the last batch of denim from some mill in NC that is closed and will never be made again

I’ve tried to like TAD jeans as they are dang near perfect, except for 1 problem. They are freaking skinny jeans in the butt and thighs. Almost like wearing compression shorts then when they hit the knees the open up fine from knee down. Probably will give Vertx a try when I get home

ggammell

Meh. Perhaps I have no dignity, but $20 Wal-Mart Levi's w/ stretch/athletic cut for me. They've been tougher than any of my Vertx pants for sure, give me sufficient mobility due to the cut and the 2% spandex - and it doesn't get much more "grey" than the common man's Wal-Mart attire. Oh, and they're twenty bucks.

View attachment 3387

Completely fair points. My main priority was another pocket or two. Otherwise I’d have gotten some 514s and called it a day.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I figured I'd get into the 'tactical denim' scene last summer. I wear jeans. I carry a gun. Why not look into purpose-built solutions?

I ordered a pair of Tactical Distributor's "Stand Your Ground" jeans. They were a little on the tight side, but with the stretch I figured it wasn't a problem. I wore them for a day before washing to get a before & after feel for them. Well, they shrank. A lot. They went from 'tighter than I'm used to' to full-on hipster skinny jeans. I know that I didn't follow the directions. The tag says to hang dry but I just tossed it in the dryer on the lowest setting hoping it would be fine, but it wasn't. They're completely unwearable for me now.

I'm just going to stick with normal jeans. I do not have time to be futzing around with expensive garments so delicate that they can't be run through a dryer.

ggammell

Who hang dries jeans? I was insert the impression the legend and SYG were the same cut with difference materials.

krax

I hang dry most clothes and especially jeans. Less shrunken clothes and they last longer. I'll tumble them on low before wearing them or putting them away.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
@ggammell I hadn't heard of the "legend" jeans until I read this thread so I have no idea. TD's sight states that they're stretch denim so I'd be cautious. Always read the tag and follow the directions for care.

David Mayeur

Meh. Perhaps I have no dignity, but $20 Wal-Mart Levi's w/ stretch/athletic cut for me. They've been tougher than any of my Vertx pants for sure, give me sufficient mobility due to the cut and the 2% spandex - and it doesn't get much more "grey" than the common man's Wal-Mart attire. Oh, and they're twenty bucks.

View attachment 3387

I get my stretch jeans from old navy for $17. I tried to like the TAD jeans, but I have no reason to pay that amount of money for more pockets that I will never use.

I tried on and liked the 5.11 jean, however it was a little long. I special ordered the same pair in a 32length and it never came due to flooding in Texas. It was 45 or 50 dollars at the local army navy type store.

Anyone else tried or currently using the defender flex jeans? If love some feedback before I try to get a pair again.

I really liked the rear side pockets for the cellphone. I did notice the shortness of the front pockets but I found them workable.

ggammell

Your not the only one to complain about the front pockets not being deep enough. I’ve read that numerous times and it’s one of the reasons I avoided them.

I bought a pair of the McQuade jean from tactical distributors. It took a few washes for the dye to stop fading but now they shrunk so much they fit like skinny jeans. I am a fan of the stretch and the material but they're just too slim

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have 2 pairs of the 5.11 jeans. Good for a more traditional look I guess. I can't really wear boots(Ariat) with them because they are much more of an athletic cut.

Mostly I have taken a liking to the Duluth carpenter jeans. Plenty of room and pocket space for everything.

ggammell

Finally got my hands on some Kuhl jeans. Specifically the Rydr Jeans. These are awesome. First things first, they are big. I had to go down a full size and they are still loose enough to IWB a pistol. Length, I bought 30 inch inseams. They might be a touch long for size but that happens to be perfect for me. The cuffs are damn near perfect diameter. 17ish inches. The gusset doesn’t bunch and the seat and rise are normal size. The denim is stretch denim as well so they will move with you.

They have the standard Kuhl cell pocket on the right leg. Looking for jeans with literally one (maybe two) extra pockets, they hit the mark dead on.

Down side is they are $90 new and Kuhl is one of the only places that sell them. I found a pair on clearance for $53 shipped (Udans.com). Short sizes are 30 inch inseams. I could be convinced to pay full tilt for another pair down the road.

I definitely rate them higher than both the Vertx and TD Legend. The Rydr jeans do have a different fit from the Rydr and Rydr Lean for reference.

Bill Assande

Amateur
I've tried the TD pants and while they are very comfy they stretch way too much as you are wearing them. I'm not a fan of cargo pockets so my go to pants have been of Duluths DuluthFlex 5 pocket pants, and the Duluthflex jeans. I'm really looking forward to trying the Coolmax pants they have coming this spring too.

Matt0311

I'm wearing Duluthflex Fire Hose Cargo pants for work now and I'm a huge fan. I'll probably be checking out their jeans in the not too distant future.