The CZ P-09

David Mayeur

Extending this from the FB group:

Searching for topics on the P-09 has not proven to be fruitful. I know a few members and the staff here are fans of the P-09 (and P-07), but have not seen much discussion about the pistol. The recent DA/SA threads and podcasts gave me the itch to finally pick up a non-Glock, and I found a good deal on a brand new P-09.
I took it to the range, benched it at 25, shot a few drills at 7 to 15 yards, which included the 10-10-10 drill, and I am happy to say I am pleased with the accuracy of this gun. The DA pull isn't terrible, but the SA pull leaves a lot to be desired. I have been recommended the CGW upgrade kit as a must have, but have not found much else for these guns outside of Cajun Gun Works. (I know... that's probably a clue)

Here is where my conundrum lies; I cannot find any information from a credible source on the good and bad of modifications for these pistols. It was mentioned that the frames are soft and don't stipple well, but I've seen many stippled. I've read that magwells don't fit factory magazine base pads. I've read that certain pins break frequently in dry fire. There is a ton of he said she said out there and not enough quality info.

I picked it up from a local dealer that had a single P-09 and was looking to get rid of it for right at $425.

31536895667_647ce784ce_c.jpg

Here it is with my Glock 34 Gen 4.

46477792231_d6207789de_c.jpg

I forgot my squeeze bag, so the rest was a little unstable, but I'll chalk up the fliers to my poor eyesight.

45806314184_ec95320d22_c.jpg

20 rounds of SIG Elite Performance 115 gr FMJ at 25 yards from the rest. Ignoring the one lower 9 ring shot and few oddball fliers, the P-09 put out a roughly 3-3.5" group with this ammo. Not amazing, but not terrible either. Again, this was two magazines fired with my poor eyesight. I'll be reshooting soon.

45806308234_473186d53d_c.jpg

Ken Hackathorn's / Larry Vickers' drill "The Test" a.k.a. 10-10-10 Drill

Although I despise the factory sights, they were easy to track during this drill. I'll take 100 any day.

45806309934_a5b374ab4e_c.jpg

After shooting a few drills with the remaining SIG 115 gr and Federal American Eagle 115 gr, I benched the gun once again with Federal HST 124 gr +P and Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P. Again, a few fliers (more so with Hornady). Something to note, the POI shift from the 115 gr to 135 gr +P is very noticeable.

My Dawson Precision sights just arrived, so after installation I will bench the P-09 again.

31589767837_28c30abf8d_c.jpg
45806311454_e236d8489e_c.jpg

tylerw02

Seems there is a lot of variation in the triggers from the factory. Mine has a terrible DA that stacked badly. The SA was excellent.

I installed the pro package and polished all the friction points recommended by Cajun. The DA now breaks at 6.5 lbs with no stacking. The SA didn’t improve much at all but breaks cleanly at 3 lbs. the reset of much shorter to the delight of my short fingers.

I also installed Dawson sights that are 5” high at 25 for me. I’m soon to take advantage of their perfect impact policy.

Thus far the pistol is accurate and fast shooting. There is actually lots of info out there on CZ forums and Enos. I do highly recommend the pro package. It is easy to install and changed the whole personality of the pistol. I picked mine up with a credit I had for $360 used and spent another $300 on upgrades. It is a very worthy pistol at this point. You just have to accept the lack of aftermarket coming off a Glock. Oh, and magazines are hard to find and expensive. Prepare yourself to replace TRSs every 8 or 9k rounds. Enjoy the new CZ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CZnut

So the factory SA is kinda mushy and not super enticing. I threw a CGW pro kit in mine about 2+ years ago now. And I also did the trigger with the over travel stop which is real nice. The SA is nice and crisp and there’s a noticeable wall .
6CD48386-4A0B-417E-935A-182BA950C230.jpeg

David Mayeur

Installed the Dawson Precision black rear / fiber front sights last night. Everything was smooth to install, except for the factory front sight. The set screw was damaged at some point (new gun). When I tried to remove it, no wrench would grip the screw head. Upon further inspection, the factory set screw was cracked somehow and had nothing to grab onto. I tapped it out and it damaged the tail of the factory sight. It may bug some, but I despise the factory sights, so they went into the trash can.

31621811827_4414d87b8e_c.jpg

David Mayeur

I was thinking of sending the gun off to Boresight, but I have stippled enough guns in the past (without screwing them up) that I felt confident putting a simple stipple pattern on the P-09. I took my time sanding to ensure I didn't remove too much material. Just enough to remove the backstrap texture and frame texturing with a light scuff from sandpaper.

46585844661_7fe035a38f_c.jpg

31644840717_82fc54f992_c.jpg

44768001420_9062cc4fe8_c.jpg

45861643064_16bc7398db_c.jpg

tylerw02

Looking good, Wookie. I’m thinking of doing mine once I get the sights sorted and more rounds through it to ensure I won’t want tot get rid of it later on. I finally have a Shadow 2 coming.

CZnut

Looking good, Wookie. I’m thinking of doing mine once I get the sights sorted and more rounds through it to ensure I won’t want tot get rid of it later on. I finally have a Shadow 2 coming.

Your gonna love the S2!

David Mayeur

The Shadow 2 is amazing. Chuck Pressburg has one of the Bull Shadows and I'm jealous. AnR Design has one of the only Shadow 2's that CGW milled for a RMR and it is pure awesomeness. It may not be on my short list, but it's on the list lol

49431442_667506430317616_33316533761474560_n.jpg

tylerw02

The Shadow 2 is amazing. Chuck Pressburg has one of the Bull Shadows and I'm jealous. AnR Design has one of the only Shadow 2's that CGW milled for a RMR and it is pure awesomeness. It may not be on my short list, but it's on the list lol

49431442_667506430317616_33316533761474560_n.jpg

I’m pretty pumped about it. Looks like CZ is releasing a Shadow 2 OR in 2019. Or that’s what I’m hearing anyway.

David Mayeur

My hosting site has recently changed policy, so I apologize if some photos are no longer displaying.

Surefire X300U-B from Big Tex Outdoors showed up. Time to order a holster!

46610585332_12a8bb3625_c.jpg

tylerw02

Question for you on your Dawson’s, is it shooting high for you? At 25 y, I’m almost 5” high with some loads. I dunno if it’s just slow reloads or if I need to change sights?

David Mayeur

Question for you on your Dawson’s, is it shooting high for you? At 25 y, I’m almost 5” high with some loads. I dunno if it’s just slow reloads or if I need to change sights?

I'm going to bench it soon. This weekend I have to attend small human activities, so I'll most likely have to wait till next weekend. You're not the first person to tell me the Dawson's shot high. I plan on picking up a few more loads to try out. Blazer Brass and Lawman are two of my go-to FMJ loads, but I've been told the SIG Elite Match loads are the bees knees for off the shelf ammo.

CZnut

I’ve had dawsons shoot high. But they should swap out free once. So run the numbers and use their calculator on their site. It gets it pretty close.

tylerw02

That’s the plan, but before I go that route I’m going to try a few more loads.

David Mayeur

Picked up my P-09 holster last night. With a Discreet Carry Concepts clip and Modwing, it disappears under a t-shirt.

32884188598_78e19d4dcf_c.jpg

tylerw02

I’m now shooting about 2.5-3” high with a different load. I can live with a 6 o’clock hold at the bottom of the black of a B8. I have now had three light strikes on the last thousand rounds. I am concerned I should switch to a stouter hammer spring.

David Mayeur

I’m now shooting about 2.5-3” high with a different load. I can live with a 6 o’clock hold at the bottom of the black of a B8. I have now had three light strikes on the last thousand rounds. I am concerned I should switch to a stouter hammer spring.

What ammunition are you running?

I've had no issues thus far with Federal, CCI, Speer, or Hornady ammunition.

tylerw02

So far I’ve fired handloads, Speer, Blazer, Win, Federal, etc. Speer and my 124 gr RN reloads are the closest to POA @25. 147s are the worst.

David Mayeur

I have not fired any 147 gr loads yet. So far it has just been 115 gr, 124 gr, and 135 gr. The 135 gr did shoot higher than 115 and 124 gr loads.

AtlasTinMan

Here is a good video about good basic mods of the CZ P-09 and explained by our own SME Steve Fisher.

I have one and have milled it for an RMR. Mine was birthday gift from fantastic friends. I like it more than my G34. I also have the extended mags from the CZ Custom shop for it. Definitely get the Cajun Gun Works kit for it. It was a godsend when I was using it for Shivworks ECQC shooting from concealment drills. I installed it my myself.

Attachments

• CZ P-09 Magazine Extensions 1.jpg
    CZ P-09 Magazine Extensions 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 29
  • CZ P-09 Magazine Extensions 2.jpg
    CZ P-09 Magazine Extensions 2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 29
  • CZ P-09 Magazine Extensions Capacity.jpg
    CZ P-09 Magazine Extensions Capacity.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 31
  • CZ P-09 Magazine Extensions.jpg
    CZ P-09 Magazine Extensions.jpg