Suggestions for Shotgun Qual course

ch3777

Amateur
Below is our current course. I am trying to eliminate the scoring of individual 00 pellets on the TQ-15 (gets to being a PITA with wads blowing through the target too). The caveat is our state requirement to have a minimum passing score of 80%. Any suggestions? Thanks!

SHOTGUN

Shotgun qualification course Using a TQ15 target/ 5 rounds 00 buck and 5 rounds slug the course is:

Phase 1 buck shot: Combat load 1 round, administratively load 2 rounds.
7yrd line: From the low ready fire 2 rounds. (Make weapon safe)
15yrd line:
From the low ready fire 3 rounds (re-load combat)

Phase 2 slugs:
Combat load 1 round, administratively load 2 rounds
20yrd line: From the low ready fire 2 rounds. (Make weapon safe)
25yrd line: From the low ready fire 3 rounds. (Re-load combat)
(Clear weapon make safe)

50 total rounds. Possible score of 100; (40 or 80% needed to qualify). Additional scoring 35=70%/ 38=75% /43=85%/ 45=90% / 48=95%
Shooters will be allowed three (3) attempts on the day of the qualification shoot. If a passing score is not met, two (2) hours of mandatory remedial training will be required for the Shooter. A second qualification shoot will then be performed within thirty (30) days of the original failed attempt.
Scoring: 2 point scored for each round inside the silhouette/ 0 points for rounds outside silhouette.
Note: 00 buck shot 9 pellets per round= 45 pellets / + 5 slugs = 50 total rounds shot.

jnc36rcpd

We used a variety of targets with the shotgun. When I was retired, we were using LVMPD's target for all firearms. Qualification was 80%. We went from twenty=five yards to seven yards, firing four slugs and ten rounds of buckshot. Two rounds of buckshot were fired from twenty-five yards and again at fifteen. These shots were followed by a reload and engagement with slugs to replicate loading a more appropriate round at greater distances. I'm not sure how realistic that was as few carried slide guns and fewer still carried extra ammunition.

For a while, we did pass/fail with the instructor's estimate that 80% were on target. We gravitated back to a numeric score. This may have been influenced by our using the street loads of Flite-Control buckshot with minimal spread even at twenty-five yards.

I shared your pain on targets being torn up by wadding. Unless an instructor saw that rounds were off the target area (or just missing), we assumed that all the pellets were on target even if we couldn't see them. That worked for us, but we had sixty-odd people. We were usually able to get everyone through the shotgun qualification in a couple of runs at most. Moreover, shotgun qualification was not mandatory. Given the changes in personality in the firearms training program and the department as a whole, I'm not sure if that system still works, but it did seem successful.

ch3777

Amateur
We used a variety of targets with the shotgun. When I was retired, we were using LVMPD's target for all firearms. Qualification was 80%. We went from twenty=five yards to seven yards, firing four slugs and ten rounds of buckshot. Two rounds of buckshot were fired from twenty-five yards and again at fifteen. These shots were followed by a reload and engagement with slugs to replicate loading a more appropriate round at greater distances. I'm not sure how realistic that was as few carried slide guns and fewer still carried extra ammunition.

For a while, we did pass/fail with the instructor's estimate that 80% were on target. We gravitated back to a numeric score. This may have been influenced by our using the street loads of Flite-Control buckshot with minimal spread even at twenty-five yards.

I shared your pain on targets being torn up by wadding. Unless an instructor saw that rounds were off the target area (or just missing), we assumed that all the pellets were on target even if we couldn't see them. That worked for us, but we had sixty-odd people. We were usually able to get everyone through the shotgun qualification in a couple of runs at most. Moreover, shotgun qualification was not mandatory. Given the changes in personality in the firearms training program and the department as a whole, I'm not sure if that system still works, but it did seem successful.
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards just scoring what I know is out of the A-zone, and assuming the rest are in. I've never had anyone throw one completely off the cardboard backers we use so should be OK there. We require all hits to be in the silhouette or its a reshoot, so I can't use 80% on paper as the scoring.