Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

MojoNixon

Established
I always thought the SAO P226 (and soon the SAO P229, whenever they get it shipped) would be a good alternative for the folks who want a 1911 for defense but want more rounds/more reliability. Assuming they eventually role out a P229 SAO Legion RX it will be very difficult to resist getting one to comp as well
That’s kind of where I’m coming from on the 226 Legion. I’ve always liked SAO cocked and locked carry. Even my BUG Ruger LC9 has a manual thumb safety, which is probably why I like it so much.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Some additional information on the new pistol;

IMG_3251.JPG

Another X-Carry to be built into a backup/redundant pistol to the original RS320 (henceforth original build being RS320A, new pistol being RS320B). It will be mechanically identical to the RS320A, with some subtle aesthetic changes. The pistol was ordered from Omaha Outdoors, which offers custom cerakoting on some of the pistols they sell. This one was done in Black Multicam before being sent to me (this was the reason for the delay in shipping). An OD Green Compact grip module has been added to match the BMC on the slide. Why Black Multicam and ODG? Cause a little Multicam and ODG never hurt anyone (well, not directly...) and cause I wanted to do something subtle but a little bit more custom for this build.

IMG_3258.JPG

As you can see in the first picture, I already have a pile of parts ready to go on the pistol and more on the way, including a new 1,000 lumen X300U-B. The grip module will need to go out to Springer Precision to have their ESP magwell installed, and I'll need to drop the gun off with my gunsmith for fitting of the Bar-Sto barrel and installation of the Romeo1 shroud.

IMG_3263.JPG

Another Apex trigger kit will be on the list as well as soon as I have the funds for it. Since this pistol will be functionally identical to the RS320A, I will probably not go through quite as complex a test for ammo selection, rather simply ensuring that the RS320B eats Winchester 124gr NATO and Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P as well as the original (no reason to believe it would not, but always good to double check anyway).

As for the CW320, I'm still waiting for the modified mount components from Carver Custom, but should be hearing about that relatively soon. Of course I'll need the optic (a Holosun HS503C is the mounting plate I currently have on the mount, but Carver offers different plates for every popular MRDS on the market if I change my mind). Depending on what Carver is able to put together with the modified optic mount parts, there may or may not be provision for a WML, which in all likelihood would be another X300U. I'm leaning more towards branching out and trying some different components for the CW320, looking at a threaded barrel from Faxon and a different comp which would be bulkier but provide better compensation than the Springer "shorty" utilized on the RS320s. I do intend to send the CW320 slide off to Jagerwerks for serrations, front window cut, and cerakote (note the new FDE Compact grip module for a preview of where the aesthetics on that pistol are headed). It will also be sent to Springer for installation of their magwell, though I will probably go with the larger Open magwell on that build since concealment isn't a consideration as it is on the RS320. Rounding out that build will be an aftermarket trigger kit, either another Apex or perhaps the GrayGuns kit that includes a worked-over sear and different springs.

Of course, I'll also be on the lookout for any new and interesting aftermarket products that can provide tangible benefit to the platform. But as of right now, this is the roadmap for the in-progress builds.

2019 is going to be an expensive year...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I'm just here for the black multicam.

It's subtle the way I hoped it would be but that makes it difficult to see in my dimly lit room. I'll try to get some better lit pictures soon to show the pattern better. The color matches Sig's ODG grip module surprisingly well

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Back from another session at the range. RS320B is in the hands of my 'smith for barrel fitting and installation of the optic shroud, and RS320A has just ticked over the 4,000 round count with still no malfunctions to report.

IMG_3302.JPG

On a cleaning/maintenance note - This Otis Ripcord has been incredible for bore cleaning considering the permanently attached comp. Just tilt the barrel out of the slide, spray a bit of solvent down the bore, wait a couple minutes, two passes with the Ripcord and good to go. Combined with spotscrubbing where necessary, it makes maintenance of the pistol extremely fast and easy

Tin knocker

First and foremost, I need to give credit where it's due - I've had the general idea for years that adding certain components from Open division competition pistols to a duty pistol could have some potential performance benefits, but could never quite figure out the right combination of parts or base platform to build on (for a while there I was fairly set on saving up for a completely custom 2011 platform...Glad I ended up not doing that). It wasn't until I started to see pictures floating around the interwebz of a certain professional door-kicker's modded and comped G19 though that I really got serious about this project. So, Roland, for being just crazy enough to try to turn a joke into one of the most badass concepts for a fighting pistol I've ever seen, much gratitude is in order.

There was still one problem I had with the standard RS formula though; that damn Glock it was based on...I know, I know, I have nothing against Glocks or those who choose to shoot them. But I learned how to shoot pistols on a Sig 1911 - the ergonomics of a Glock and my brain were just two things that were never going to get along. So what to do? At first I kicked around the idea of basing my build on an M&P, but still being a bit brainwashed by my 1911 roots there was just something about a hammer-fired, all-metal pistol I couldn't look past...And then Sig won the MHS program. I had thought the P320 was a neat platform for a while, and with the prospect of the future aftermarket support destined for the new sidearm of our entire armed forces, it was finally the push I needed to get past the "but muh hammer and metal grip!" blockade.

View attachment 2410

So, a few months ago I ordered up an X-Carry. My particular example came with the Romeo1 sight already mounted and zeroed at the factory, which was fine by me considering that would've been the first thing I did to it anyway. Within minutes of getting the pistol home, I'd mounted up a X300U flashlight, torn the pistol apart and started to familiarize myself with the internals.

View attachment 2411

My next step was to find a source for magazine extensions (because MOAR), which brought me to Springer Precision. I ordered up a handful of their 140mm base pads along with some Grams Engineering follower and spring kits, and shortly my 17 round magazines could swallow up 23 rounds of shiny 9mm.

View attachment 2412

Of course, once you have extended magazines, everyone knows you need a nice magwell to help feed them into your hungry blaster. The nice thing about the X-Series line of P320s is that all of the X-Series grip modules are compatible with the magwell that comes on the X-Five model. Many competition shooters who purchase the X-Five quickly remove the magwell to make the pistol legal for Production and Carry Optics divisions; a bit of quick negotiating with one such X-Five owner, and suddenly I felt like I could toss a fresh magazine into the pistol from across a room and it'd seat properly.

View attachment 2413

Up next, I got to wondering and doing a bit of quick math in my head - If 23 rounds is good, more rounds will always be better, right...? So, I ordered up a couple of OEM Sig 21 round magazines, made another visit to Springer Precision for more base pads and some of the Grams 13 coil spring and follower kits, and before you know it I had a functioning "happy stick" that provides for 27 rounds reloadable. Now we're getting somewhere!

Of course, the whole point of this project was to get that "holy trinity" of the slide-mounted dot, X300U hanging under the barrel, and short compensator for the ultimate in tacticool. But you can't have a compensator without a threaded barrel...So, another visit to Springer and I shortly had in my possession a Bar-Sto stainless compact threaded barrel, with 1/2x28 threading, and one of Springer's "shorty" 9mm compensators with threading to match the new barrel.

Bar-Sto's barrels are "semi-drop-in", meaning a minority of the barrels will require some minor fitting to work in your particular pistol. I just so happened to be one of the shooters that drew the short straw and found my barrel will need some fitting, which means a trip to my gunsmith is in order.

View attachment 2414

And this is where the pistol currently sits - Ready to be taken to my gunsmith to have the barrel fitted properly, so that I may begin to enjoy the sweetness that is a compensated duty pistol. I had originally intended for this to be my carry gun, but have found the X-Carry grip module to be slightly too long to conceal well enough (especially with the addition of the magwell and extended base pads). I will likely soon purchase a Compact grip module, and use that in combination with the compensated top end as my carry setup. The fullsize X-Series grip with magwell will be dedicated for when the pistol is pulling duty as my nightstand gun, as well as the "go-to-war" setup where concealment isn't as much of a concern.

Please feel free to ask any questions or leave any comments. I'll update this thread once I get the gun back from my gunsmith and try to do a shooting review once it's all said and done
Great-looking build I've been working on my Sig P320 RX compact for a while different grip modules threaded barrels compensators slowly but surely trying to make it my own. Like your light with your compensator all they are about the same length or just want to hang over a little further than the other

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The only thing worse than waiting on parts to get delivered is waiting on parts to get installed by my gunsmith...Oh well, more dryfire time while I wait!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Orbital interest;

https://www.sticksandstonesarms.com/product/sig-sauer-p320-professional/

Sig will be introducing a pair of "Pro Series" pistols for LE order in January. These will be available as Fullsize and Carry configurations, optics-ready (with a new plate design that retains the rear iron sight when the plate is removed), X-Series grip modules and flat triggers, with no lightening cuts in the slide;

IMG_3332.JPG

I'd be surprised if we don't see the revised optics plate design make it on to the standard X-Carry and X-Five competition pistols as well

SCSU74

Orbital interest;

Sig will be introducing a pair of "Pro Series" pistols for LE order in January. These will be available as Fullsize and Carry configurations, optics-ready (with a new plate design that retains the rear iron sight when the plate is removed), X-Series grip modules and flat triggers, with no lightening cuts in the slide;

View attachment 3222

I'd be surprised if we don't see the revised optics plate design make it on to the standard X-Carry and X-Five competition pistols as well

They finally have a release date? They're been on Quantico's site for over a year. I heard the full size loses the magwell, bull barrel and the 21 rd mags, which sucks, but I can understand why some are hesitant to carry a duty gun with slide cut outs. I've personally had zero issues with my X5 on duty or X-carry concealed, both have the slide cuts.

Quick question about the rip cord, is it similar to a bore snake or big improvement? I've gotten lazy with maintenance on the 320, I typically spray the frame/FCU with cleaner and blow it off with air compressor and clean the barrel with bore snake.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
To my understanding the Ripcord works on similar principle to the Bore Snake. I've never actually used a Bore Snake specifically, so I shouldn't make any claims as to how the Ripcord compares, but the Ripcord does do a great job itself.

How do you like the X-Five as a duty pistol? Have you kept yours relatively stock or made any modifications?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
More orbital interest news, the company behind the X01 PCC unit for the P320 FCU is teasing a P320-based AR rifle;

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

Possibly more to see shortly at SHOT Show...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Comments from a self-proclaimed FCU employee;

The name ‘AR320’ due to the similar aesthetic design we chose to resemble the AR15. It is a new category of weapon system, and could take virtually any shape imaginable.

The AR320 is still in development, but to clarify some of the features:

The grip module that houses the proprietary bolt carrier group, magazine well, and customer-provided serialized P320 frame will be machined from aluminum. The prototype you see is a 3D printed proof of concept.

The grip module will not be compatible with AR15 uppers. However, it will accept AR15 barrels, handguards, buffer tubes (and thusly braces or stocks), and magazines.

tylerw02

Orbital interest;

View attachment 3222

This type of setup, keeping BUIS, and maybe being RMR compatible would get me into a Sig for the first time in years as a competition rig. It would also put me CCWing one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
This type of setup, keeping BUIS, and maybe being RMR compatible would get me into a Sig for the first time in years as a competition rig. It would also put me CCWing one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a P320 with irons and RMR, your best bet would probably still be getting a base-model P320 and sending the slide off to ATEI or one of the other quality milling companies. I can nearly gaurantee even if they're changing up the cover plate configuration on the X-Series guns they'll still be specific to the Romeo1 optic

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The AR320 greatly interests me. I'll never buy one, but I do find it very interesting. The real question is this: If you chambered it in 9mm, would that be acceptable or an abomination?

The interesting thing about the FCU-based AR conversion to me is that they've engineered a way to convert a pistol caliber fire control group to function in a 5.56 caliber rifle platform. If you were interested in a 9mm PCC the same company makes a different conversion chassis that accepts P320 magazines as well.

The part that interests me most about what this company is doing is the broad range of solutions they can create based on one modular starting point