Is any one runing a comp and reddot on the fn 509 tactical?

I like the 509 and the idea of the roland special, and I am wondering if any one has done it with the 509 tactical.

If so have you seen any problems with it.

Joker75

Amateur
That is my plan also. I had a Henry Holster Compensator on mine, but regrettably had to return it, due to some QC issues. I am waiting for the replacement to arrive, so I can get it installed. I did have a chance to shoot mine with the compensator, before I was made aware of the issues with it. With the compensator installed, it would not cycle with the heavy recoil spring. I swapped the recoil spring to the lighter one, that came with my 509 Tactical. With the lighter recoil spring, it still wouldn't cycle with 115 grain Federal FMJ, and would only cycle occasionally with 124 grain Federal FMJ. It seemed to cycled most of the time with 147 grain Federal FMJ, but still occasionally failed to cycle, or lock back on an empty magazine.

I left my +p ammunition at home, on the one day I took my 509 Tactical to the range, so I can't speak to how it will function with higher pressure loads. I would expect the +p ammunition to cycle much more reliably, but until I have a chance to try them out, I can't say for sure. I plan on testing some +p ammunition with both recoil springs, to see how it cycles with both, once I get my replacement Compensator.

As far as the compensator itself, it seemed to provide a noticeable decrease in recoil, as the gun felt like it was not moving near as much as my duty M&P, that I was also shooting.

I have seen several pictures of 509 Tacticals with RMRs installed on them, but haven't really seen much regarding any issues. Most people seem to be impressed with FN's mounting solution for the MRDS, so I don't anticipate any problems there.

Best of luck with your goal. Please update us as you make progress with your build. I'm hoping to have mine completed, early next year, depending on how my funds shake out.

MojoNixon

Established
For training ammo try Winchester 124 Gr. NATO Spec (Q4318). There are several of us here with comped guns that have found this to be a very good solution to cycling issues. And some have found it to be a good match to 124 +P HST.
In my hands it feels very similar to 147+P HST.
It can almost always be found in 1K quantities for under $200 with shipping. SGAMMO has it currently for $186 w/ shipping.
I have for my gun found that 124 Gr ammo usually has enough pressure to cycle reliably at 1200 FPS +|- 25 FPS.
147 gr cycles reliably in my gun at 950 to 1050 FPS.
Obviously different guns will like what they like and it is a process to determine what works reliably for training and for carry for your specific gun and set up so these are just ideas to keep in mind.

MojoNixon

Established
For training ammo try Winchester 124 Gr. NATO Spec (Q4318). There are several of us here with comped guns that have found this to be a very good solution to cycling issues. And some have found it to be a good match to 124 +P HST.
In my hands it feels very similar to 147+P HST.
It can almost always be found in 1K quantities for under $200 with shipping. SGAMMO has it currently for $186 w/ shipping.
I have for my gun found that 124 Gr ammo usually has enough pressure to cycle reliably at 1200 FPS +|- 25 FPS.
147 gr cycles reliably in my gun at 950 to 1050 FPS.
Obviously different guns will like what they like and it is a process to determine what works reliably for training and for carry for your specific gun and set up so these are just ideas to keep in mind.
Just a quick follow up: other NATO Spec for me performs the same as the Winchester round. I. E. Prvi Partisan, German MEN,
I haven’t as yet tried S&B load but will at some point. The MEN load I’ve inly cooked off 50 rounds but with the same apparent reliability as the others. I actually prefer the Prvi Partisan load but usually go with whichever I can get the best deal on when it’s time to buy.

Maynard

Amateur
I haven't ordered a comp yet. Thinking about the Parker Mountain Machine FDE but I'm not a huge pre-order fan.