If your hand fits all the way on a G19...

djsticky

Amateur
What benefits do you see to a full size grip in the G45 / 19x aside from two extra rounds? I don't have much, if any meat hanging off my 19. My pinky rides just above the magwell.

I'm currently carrying a Gen 5 19 which replaced my Gen 3 19. I am going to purchase a second Gen 5 gun in the same slide length as a backup with parts compatibility. I am stuck waffling between a 2nd G19 or a G45. I've shot a few hundred rounds through a 19x trying to see if I could notice a difference but didn't really feel anything much different from my 19. My current G19 is RDS and comped, I kind of though it would be nice to have one as in iron sight gun and be able to freely swap the slides around.

So the pros for the G45 are: New hotness and ???
Pros for another G19 are: All my current magazines fit all my guns.

It kind of looks like I should just get another G19. But... New hotness?

tylerw02

Really, I think you’re on the right track. I tried a 19 gen 5 and kept pinching my hand on reloads as well as having malfunctions from trying to grip too high bumping the slide stop.

Also tried the 17 gen five and had the pinching issues with reloads. I picked up a 45 and I’m 880 rounds in in two days and having zero problems. It shoots flat, the trigger seems better than both the previous gen 5 guns I tried. Best part is no reloading issues. I’m really liking this gun. For 19s I’m keeping my gen 3 and 4 guns.

But if you’re not having such issues, and three 19X didn’t do it for you, neither will the 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djsticky

Amateur
With one caveat, the G45 is begging to be made into a Roland for full grip and still fit 34 sized holsters.

I know right? My current Gen 5 G19 is a Roland which is why I am really lusting after that G45 haha.

I had reload pinching issues on my Gen3 19 but haven't had any issues a few thousand rounds into my Gen 5.

I don't have any issues with concealing the longer grip so I can't think of any downsides other then magazine compatability but Glock mags are cheap. I don't think the G45 is a BAD idea at all, I just don't have a lot of time on full frame Glocks to know if there was any subtle nuance I was missing that would put it over the top.

I’ve got a gen 5 19 Roland, and a 19x coming back from atei. Before I sent the 19x off, I shot it with the Roland slide. For me, the grip angle of a g17 points better, so I see the dot sooner. The hump on a 19 feel to pronounced causing me to point high. Not the end of the world as I got used to it, but the 19x slices that problem. There was no noticeable difference in recoil with the comp. without the comp the 19x felt a little flatter than a 19 and noticeably flatter than a 17. I also get more consistent reloads with a full size grip. All that saidYMMV. If you have no issues with a 19 grip, stick with a 19. If you really want the new hotness, get a 45.

djsticky

Amateur
I’ve got a gen 5 19 Roland, and a 19x coming back from atei. Before I sent the 19x off, I shot it with the Roland slide. For me, the grip angle of a g17 points better, so I see the dot sooner. The hump on a 19 feel to pronounced causing me to point high. Not the end of the world as I got used to it, but the 19x slices that problem. There was no noticeable difference in recoil with the comp. without the comp the 19x felt a little flatter than a 19 and noticeably flatter than a 17. I also get more consistent reloads with a full size grip. All that said YMMV. If you have no issues with a 19 grip, stick with a 19. If you really want the new hotness, get a 45.

Thanks for the input. I don't really have any issues (as far as I know) with the 19 grip. When I went about buying a gen 5 gun it was an easy choice for the versatility. I shoot a 19 fine so why stick myself with a larger grip I didn't need and if I wanted the extra ammo, basepads are cheap. Also I was not yet carrying appendix to realize the concealability boon that it is.

I'm probably going to end up with a 45 because I just can't see any downsides to it for me, aside from buying some extra magazines. Then I'll be able to put some real time in on it, what's the worst thing that happens? I end up carrying the 19 more? It will still serve it's purpose as a backup gun to the primary and an donor for an iron sight slide.

Tangero

I'd been a big fan of the 19, but the 17-length grip just points better to me. My hand has a little more freedom in how I can apply pressure with my fingers, especially my pinky. My total grip is much more solid on the larger frame.

I didn't know I wanted/needed the extra grip until I simply tried a 17 for kicks. It was a revelatory moment.

David Mayeur

IIRC, the hump on a 19 is located differently than a 17 size frame. Some people with smaller hands still shoot a full size frame better.

My hand hangs so far off a 19 I can use my palm as a magwell lol

Taran’s and The Freya magwells prevent any pinching for me on a 19 and I have the antithesis of hands you want to be checked for hemorrhoids with. The lip of a magwell provides a great leverage point and anchor for your Pinky to torque into.

djsticky

Amateur
So I ended up buying a G45. I really wanted an extra gen 5 slide anyway. Having spent several thousand rounds on it now I can say I like it better, but that's only if I want to get deep in the weeds. They are both fine, I shoot them both fine. I don't notice I'm shooting a 19 when I shoot that frame. The only time I really notice it is when I go from the G45 to the G19 and the first few times I go to establish a grip on the draw I feel like I'm grabbing onto a G26 but after a few reps I forget about it.

Not unhappy with my decision.

WAVandal

I have found myself carrying my G19X more than my G19.5. I'm about to move my 19.5 MOS slide to the 19X and recheck the zero on my RMR. With the larger grip I can find the dot faster.
There is either a G45 or G17.5 in my future for my RMR equipped off duty gun. I'm finding myself liking the longer grip more and more.

I currently carry a G19 Gen 5 MOS (iron sights only) in a PHLster Classic and am in the market for a Glock 17 to give me another option and a reserve pistol for classes. I'm unsure if I should get a Gen 5 or a Gen 5 MOS. I would just get another Gen 5 MOS, but guys seem to be split on the MOS system. But if I get a regular Gen 5, it has the cutout on the front of the grip that seems like people are split on as well.

tylerw02

I currently carry a G19 Gen 5 MOS (iron sights only) in a PHLster Classic and am in the market for a Glock 17 to give me another option and a reserve pistol for classes. I'm unsure if I should get a Gen 5 or a Gen 5 MOS. I would just get another Gen 5 MOS, but guys seem to be split on the MOS system. But if I get a regular Gen 5, it has the cutout on the front of the grip that seems like people are split on as well.

There is now a Gen 5 G17 FS available. Or you could get a G45 and use your existing G19 holsters if you wanted.

Threeone5

My hands fit the larger frame of the 17 better. Waiting on the Zev MBKc to be released so I can swap between 19 and 17 sized frames.