New EMT input and kit

fellfox

Hey everyone I've got some newbie questions for you. Let me preface by saying I'm a NREMT-B. Do you all have any tips or tricks you wish you would have known from the get-go. We have relatively low call volume where I'm stationed so anything I can garner to improve my QoC would be greatly appreciated.

Second question, I was recently issued a stomp II and stocked it with the majority of the basics that are within the EMT-B protocol minus a few things that were on order. Under our protocols we also have the ability to administer IV fluid therapy and the use of supraglottic airways (King-LTD) both of which I'm setup for. Is there anything you all have found in your time that was worth carrying? Quality of life improvements or just better ways to skin the cat so to speak. For example some of the guys have suggested an electronic BP cuff. I'm mostly concerned with making sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks everyone for any input you might have.

SmElly

Electronic BP cuff, a good flashlight, and a good multi tool are about all I have to recommend.
Also, pack healthy food. EMS produces a lotta big dudes.

Which kit pieces are you wondering about specifically?

fellfox

Electronic BP cuff, a good flashlight, and a good multi tool are about all I have to recommend.
Also, pack healthy food. EMS produces a lotta big dudes.

Which kit pieces are you wondering about specifically?

Nothing specific to be honest, we are pretty well stocked on the basics. I was more just asking for some spitball responses from the more experienced guys.

Santostype1

Amateur
Thanks, I work for USBP in Texas. Protocols are specific to our sector and we fall under the DHS "state".
Awesome, thank you, gonna be a tough job.
My only advice, master the patient assessment.
If you can truly get down and assess what’s going on with who you’re treating, then you’ll do great.
Gotta have a solid assessment so you know what you’re treating and why you are....

CD228

Amateur
The most important tools for a new EMT aren't hardware. The ability to listen and observer, the willingness to work. You should do a lot of rig checks and know your bus (NYese for ambulance) inside and out. Get to know your ERs and protocols intimately. If there is training materials available, study them. Learn to do all your skills with a minimum of tools. Also develop your powers of observation for both assessment and scene survey. Always watch where you put your feet, your gear and your knees. Don't go kneeling in piss, puke or feces. don't put your bag where it will walk or crawl away. Watch your ass around active roadways, you can't save lives if you are street pizza. Also, good bedside manner can go a long way to deescalating situations and improving patients conditions. Never stand directly in front of doors, drunks or EDPS. Also, the ability to listen to those more experienced then you is another good tool. Just remember not everyone is as good at the job, the ability to tell the difference between someone you should listen to and someone you should just nod at.

If you really want to buy stuff, get good boots (water proof), a spare uniform, a decent watch, a glove pouch, a good stethoscope (don't wrap it around your neck), a decent flashlight, a decent multi tool and some pens. I used to wear a batman belt, but if you do a good rig check and have a jump bag you don't need to hang the kitchen sink off your belt. Also, don't carry anything on duty that you wouldn't mind seeing disappearing into a red bag or over pack drum never to be seen again.

Have fun and remember why you joined up. I was an EMT from 1997-2005 (I went into the military) it was good work and good learning. I'll go back to it once I get out.