Fighting revolver discussion & picture thread!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
How’s she shoot?

Jerry’s great...buy in the revolver world, I want to be Clint Smith.

Shot pretty well. That setup was what proved to me the usefulness of red dots on handguns. It certainly didn't give me any additional skill immediately, but being able to clearly see precisely what the muzzle was doing throughout the entire long DA trigger pull helped me diagnose issues to work on and THAT did allow me to increase my skill set at a much more rapid pace

MojoNixon

Established
Just an old 1956 Colt Trooper. Range toy for me and buddy/bro gun in my ride. View attachment 2873
4”, it loves Buffalo Bore 158 gr. LSWHC standard pressure. Extremely smooth DA pull. Can’t even guess at pull weight but it’s so smooth as to be pretty irrelevant.
Forgot to add:
Thru a serial number search at Colt, this specimen apparently was an issued duty gun with Birmingham, Al. PD in the 60’s. It must have been shot a lot I would think to mske the DA pull so smooth. The internal lovkwork from what I understand is the same as a Python and except for no full length underlug essentially fits holsters designed for the Python.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Shot pretty well. That setup was what proved to me the usefulness of red dots on handguns. It certainly didn't give me any additional skill immediately, but being able to clearly see precisely what the muzzle was doing throughout the entire long DA trigger pull helped me diagnose issues to work on and THAT did allow me to increase my skill set at a much more rapid pace

That, I believe, is where most people would benefit from owning a revolver. Shooting a DA trigger well requires a higher level of skill than a simple striker, and that skill makes shooting the striker trigger child's play. Adding a red dot would only allow the shooter to get better faster.

BennyAdeline

Amateur
That, I believe, is where most people would benefit from owning a revolver. Shooting a DA trigger well requires a higher level of skill than a simple striker, and that skill makes shooting the striker trigger child's play. Adding a red dot would only allow the shooter to get better faster.

Totally that a wonder nine with red dot is amazing for beginners. Less for them to think about.

JLL2013

I always see these threads devolve into discussions of dad's or grandad's duty weapon...that's probably a clue as to efficacy of a revolver as a fighting gun.
Even in the world of anti-beast use (moose, bear, etc) I find it difficult to justify a revolver over a pistol in 10mm or even a hot .45ACP.

If someone would produce a quality snubnose, hammerless, 9mm revolver I'd be about it for niche applications. But I don't see any revolver working its way into a carry gun role over a fighting pistol.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I always see these threads devolve into discussions of dad's or grandad's duty weapon...that's probably a clue as to efficacy of a revolver as a fighting gun.
Even in the world of anti-beast use (moose, bear, etc) I find it difficult to justify a revolver over a pistol in 10mm or even a hot .45ACP.

If someone would produce a quality snubnose, hammerless, 9mm revolver I'd be about it for niche applications. But I don't see any revolver working its way into a carry gun role over a fighting pistol.
First point: Totally agree.
Second point: LCR in 9mm, maybe?

BennyAdeline

Amateur

I give a bit more credit to revolvers than most. I’m assuming it’s becauae I’ve put the time in with them to get solid. Are they optimal? Not always..but I think I’m the proper setting they are fine.

Check out the s&w 940. There’s a few on the used market. Great 9mm hanmerless 9mm j frame

JLL2013

I just have a hard time justifying going from 15- 20rds in the gun to 6, from 1000 lumens to 0, from an RMR to irons.
What's the proper setting for a revolver as a fighting handgun?
And damn, $1k for a niche wheel gun is tough to swallow.

I give a bit more credit to revolvers than most. I’m assuming it’s becauae I’ve put the time in with them to get solid. Are they optimal? Not always..but I think I’m the proper setting they are fine.

Check out the s&w 940. There’s a few on the used market. Great 9mm hanmerless 9mm j frame

It’s not that I think revolvers are inadequate, but I haven’t quite run into a situation where I’d reach for a wheel gun over a Glock 17/19/26. They make sense for deep concealment and offer more variety in chamberings. All of that said, I just can’t get behind carrying something with a cylinder when there are so many AWESOME options that take magazines with increased capacity

BennyAdeline

Amateur
I just have a hard time justifying going from 15- 20rds in the gun to 6, from 1000 lumens to 0, from an RMR to irons.
What's the proper setting for a revolver as a fighting handgun?
And damn, $1k for a niche wheel gun is tough to swallow.

I run a G19, with RMR and light as well and it’s my go to, but for around the house or other low threat situations, I enjoy having a wheelgun. They only have 6, but with a loader or two on my belt, it’ll have 6 more in about second. Does that make it the same as a good wonder nine...nope, but it isn’t exactly impotent either. Same with carbines...my ARs are top dogs for sure, but if my 92 in .357, SKS, or M1 end up in my hands, I bet I'll be just fine. I run that 92 at cowboy matches better than most guys at the range run their ARs.

Proper set up for a fighting revolver in my book is 3 or 4 inch barrel, Chambered for a magnum round (I like .357), fixed sights, and an operator that can run it well. You can get a real nice pre lock piece of S&W fighting steel for way under $1K

Proper set up for a bug revolver is a stock j frame.

Reactions: BKS

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
No. Quite the opposite. It will be similar to the AK and shotgun episodes. Focus on the positives and how to get there.

Will it include discussion on the "Roland revolver" that's been mentioned in passing before...? And for clarity - Is that a reference to the actual Roland Deschain character's revolvers, or a particular build similar to the Roland Special G19?

BennyAdeline

Amateur
No. Quite the opposite. It will be similar to the AK and shotgun episodes. Focus on the positives and how to get there.

Very cool, Matt. It will be nice to hear some switched on guys talking wheelguns.

My experience has been at my private range that the only guys that wanna talk wheelguns are older cops and civies...and they make fun of my fauxland special lol. My buddies in my age range and mil/Leo guys I train with call me a hick when I decide to use the 13 or similar for some of the drills. Revolvers always seems to be viewed in extremes...either obsolete or “six for sure”, while I believe the occupy ground somewhere in between the two: they are still very relevant, but you gotta accept that you’ve embraced limitations.

JimH

I have always liked revolvers.
Growing up, the good guys all had a S&W (Kor L?) or Colt Python, back when they allowed a crossdraw holsters, complete with the Buck 110 back behind the speed loader pouches...
Top of my current watch list are the used Wiley Clapp Rugers.
I look back at the craziness of what the SAA prices were, and the current Stratospheric snake gun prices, and would rather buy one that I don't have to do any work on, that has good characteristics.
Speaking of work, I did start to head down the path of improving the modern revolver using the Thunder Ranch 325..did not get very far..
ct2.JPG
This is the S&W way....

ark004.jpgark003.JPG
This was as far as I got. Did a little work on the TLR-1's to pull them back so far. Both had Apex firing pin kits as well...

BennyAdeline

Amateur
I have always liked revolvers.
Growing up, the good guys all had a S&W (Kor L?) or Colt Python, back when they allowed a crossdraw holsters, complete with the Buck 110 back behind the speed loader pouches...
Top of my current watch list are the used Wiley Clapp Rugers.
I look back at the craziness of what the SAA prices were, and the current Stratospheric snake gun prices, and would rather buy one that I don't have to do any work on, that has good characteristics.
Speaking of work, I did start to head down the path of improving the modern revolver using the Thunder Ranch 325..did not get very far..
View attachment 2890
This is the S&W way....

View attachment 2891View attachment 2892
This was as far as I got. Did a little work on the TLR-1's to pull them back so far. Both had Apex firing pin kits as well...

Those are sharp! I’d love to burn a few cylinders through them.

My .45 ACP revolvers are a little older...world war older lol.