Fighting revolver discussion & picture thread!

BennyAdeline

Amateur
I, for one, think wheel guns still have their place in a defensive role.

Let’s use this thread to discuss combat revolvers and share photos.

Here’s one of my favorites: a S&W Model 13-1K frame with a 4 inch bull barrel, square butt, and custom elk grips. I run it with a Silent Thunder OWB holster, ready tactical speedloader holders, and comp 2 and 3 speedloaders.

She’s a natural pointer, perfect weight, and the fixed sights shoot true with heavy .38, .38+p and .357 loads.

Based Dude

In the modern age wheelguns are hard to justify outside of npe carry.
In the npe/deep concealment role a airwieght revolver is hard to beat for conceal ability, low weight, and 9mm equivalent firepower. However reloading, recoil management, and about everything else are far inferior to a semiauto.
In a location where firearms are heavily regulated a revolver may be the only option.
Something like a sw 327, 8 shot 357, may be your best choice.

BennyAdeline

Amateur
In the modern age wheelguns are hard to justify outside of npe carry.
In the npe/deep concealment role a airwieght revolver is hard to beat for conceal ability, low weight, and 9mm equivalent firepower. However reloading, recoil management, and about everything else are far inferior to a semiauto.
In a location where firearms are heavily regulated a revolver may be the only option.
Something like a sw 327, 8 shot 357, may be your best choice.

I can agree on the points you’ve made.

I like J frames for NPE or deep concealment.

I also don’t feel undergunned around the house/property with a K frame and speedloaders during daylight hours.

For nighttime and CCW, I use my G19 with an RMR.

I grew up with wheelguns so I do feel confident in my skills with them, but also acknowledge their shortcomings.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Like @Flatlands said, NPE/deep concealment seems to be the role where the wheelgun's downsides seem least relevant.

I recently purchased an LCRx in .327 federal magnum, because it gives me 6 shots of a personal-defense-capable cartridge, but in a J-frame sized gun. It won't replace my daily driver M&P 9 w/ light, but will be carried in times where I would otherwise go without.

lcrxpic.PNG

MrMurphy

I use a 6 inch 28 as a hunting backup as .357 will handle 2 and 4 leg threats. A 10 4 inch HB is a house gun inherited from my dad and a 642 is my backup BUG if my shield ever ends up in evidence.

jeremy_p

Amateur
I usually carry my old 37 in a pocket whether I'm carrying my CZ P01 or not. It weighs less than a 19rd spare mag, both loaded. I even got a new holster for it recently from @Gypsy EDC , the Midnight Rider. I've yet to have enough time to review it other than the crasftsmanship and design which both are excellent.

My other wheelgun is the Colt Python my grandfather carried as a Washington Parish deputy and his brother carried it as a New Orleans officer in the 70's. 4" nickel with holster wear. It carries ok AIWB but much better OWB at 4 o'clock.
20180906_204751-1.jpg20180906_204713-1.jpg

MojoNixon

Established
Just an old 1956 Colt Trooper. Range toy for me and buddy/bro gun in my ride. 4B979345-4D01-4319-A711-FB87B7D18170.png
4”, it loves Buffalo Bore 158 gr. LSWHC standard pressure. Extremely smooth DA pull. Can’t even guess at pull weight but it’s so smooth as to be pretty irrelevant.

BennyAdeline

Amateur
Is the revolver still something guys should be working on? It running one fast and hard still a valid skill to strive for?

I always take wheelguns to the range, be it smiths, Colts, double action, single action etc.

One thing I’ve noticed it that when some pretty switched on dudes shoot my revolvers, they get pretty sandbagged by them, especially when it comes to the manual of arms in regards to reloading quickly.

I’d advocate that familiarity with revolvers will
Improve overall mindset and shooting skills. Plus, you never know what’s going to end up in your hands, and extra knowledge is never a bad thing.

SmElly

Is the revolver still something guys should be working on? It running one fast and hard still a valid skill to strive for?

I always take wheelguns to the range, be it smiths, Colts, double action, single action etc.

One thing I’ve noticed it that when some pretty switched on dudes shoot my revolvers, they get pretty sandbagged by them, especially when it comes to the manual of arms in regards to reloading quickly.

I’d advocate that familiarity with revolvers will
Improve overall mindset and shooting skills. Plus, you never know what’s going to end up in your hands, and extra knowledge is never a bad thing.
My unprofessional opinion would follow:
Do you already have a revolver? Then hell yeah, shoot it and get good with it. Learning a longer, more difficult trigger couldnt hurt. Plus, they're plain fun.

Do you not have a revolver? Are you plenty capable with your current pistol? If no, then I'd prefer to spend that money on ammo/training instead of a shiny new gat.

Cadonny

I could have sworn I once saw a post in a P&S group where someone did a few months of revolver carry and training classes. I can't find the post any more but it was a really good read.

Anyone know where the post went or if there was a cross post of it to here?

BennyAdeline

Amateur
I could have sworn I once saw a post in a P&S group where someone did a few months of revolver carry and training classes. I can't find the post any more but it was a really good read.

Anyone know where the post went or if there was a cross post of it to here?

I’d love to see that thread.

I’ve shot wheelguns since I was 5 years old...so almost 32 years. I devoted my adult life to modern weapons platforms, while always finding time to shoot revolvers for fun and to stay proficient. I started to really dig into getting fast and good with revolvers as a challenge to myself a few years ago and it’s really stepped up my whole shooting game in general. I think the platform really pushes muscle memory and refining motor skills under stress to a new level. When you can reload a revolver nearly as fast as a bottom feeder, it feels pretty nice.

jBravo3

There are many like it, but this one is mine. And it's probably one of my most prized possessions. This was passed down to me after my Grandpa passed away several years ago. It's his duty rig and "work gun" (as he called it). He wore it throughout the 80's as a twice elected, rural, county sheriff. Of note is the fact that his duty gear consisted of this S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, two speedloaders, and a set of cuffs. That's it. I remember that he carried a backup snubby in his front pocket and a slap jack in the other front pocket. Growing up, my perception of the "police" was framed by him, and maybe a little bit by the Andy Griffith show. I wish that perception was reality. Just thought I'd share the pic and some background. Matt, I'll be def be tuning into the modcast on this as I've wondered about modern viability and modern relevancy.

photo-2.JPG

BennyAdeline

Amateur
There are many like it, but this one is mine. And it's probably one of my most prized possessions. This was passed down to me after my Grandpa passed away several years ago. It's his duty rig and "work gun" (as he called it). He wore it throughout the 80's as a twice elected, rural, county sheriff. Of note is the fact that his duty gear consisted of this S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, two speedloaders, and a set of cuffs. That's it. I remember that he carried a backup snubby in his front pocket and a slap jack in the other front pocket. Growing up, my perception of the "police" was framed by him, and maybe a little bit by the Andy Griffith show. I wish that perception was reality. Just thought I'd share the pic and some background. Matt, I'll be def be tuning into the modcast on this as I've wondered about modern viability and modern relevancy.

View attachment 2876

Really nice! The 19 is a classic and yours has an awesome story to it! Shoot it much?

I look forward to the show as well.

Seth Thompson

If I had to carry a revolver on a regular basis again, it would be this one:

IMG_2777.jpg

Model 65-3, in .357 Magnum. I inherited this from my dad, and it's a great combination of size and shoot-ability. It's just a bit handier than a four- or six-inch, but the steel K-frame makes it useful and accurate with .38 P+ loads. My dad installed a Wolff spring kit and smoothed the obvious edges off the internal parts, without lightening the pull. He carried it daily.

These days, it mainly rides with me when I'm on the tractor or lawn mower, loaded with snake shot. I do keep a speed strip of .38 +P handy for shooting things with legs.

BennyAdeline

Amateur
If I had to carry a revolver on a regular basis again, it would be this one:

View attachment 2880

Model 65-3, in .357 Magnum. I inherited this from my dad, and it's a great combination of size and shoot-ability. It's just a bit handier than a four- or six-inch, but the steel K-frame makes it useful and accurate with .38 P+ loads. My dad installed a Wolff spring kit and smoothed the obvious edges off the internal parts, without lightening the pull. He carried it daily.

These days, it mainly rides with me when I'm on the tractor or lawn mower, loaded with snake shot. I do keep a speed strip of .38 +P handy for shooting things with legs.

Nice! Looks like a workhorse. I want a 65 to mirror my 13.