Initial thoughts on the Sig Rattler

user12358

How is the Sandman K? I am stuck between this and the Wolf-9SD, The K configuration seems interesting to me as it does not take much away from the length but provides some protection when shooting indoors. Have you found the Sandman K to be hearing safe on the Rattler?

I would strongly caution against buying into the concept of "hearing safe" when it comes to suppressors. Hearing loss can be painless and is progressive and permanent. Repeated exposure to 120 db sounds that don't really hurt as you are shooting will damage your hearing. Not discouraging the use of cans, I do my best to run every rifle suppressed, but 140 db is just where OSHA decided to draw their line in the sand and your ears won't let you know soon enough that you are damaging your hearing.

Not quite the same as the Rattlers y'all have but I have been running a 6.75" 300 BLK MCX SBR with a Sandman K tucked under a 10" MI Rail for a while as a little backseat PDW. Subsonics are noticeably louder than a Omega 30, Hybrid, or Rugged Surge on an 8.5" DI gun or my Leonidas Integral upper. Supersonics are about as loud as a 10.3 5.56 with an RC2 and while I use a 110 gr Barnes going as fast as I can push it as my PDW load there is noticeable ringing after cracking off a few without ear pro but the edge is completely gone and it wouldn't be distracting.

Gypsy EDC

I would strongly caution against buying into the concept of "hearing safe" when it comes to suppressors. Hearing loss can be painless and is progressive and permanent. Repeated exposure to 120 db sounds that don't really hurt as you are shooting will damage your hearing. Not discouraging the use of cans, I do my best to run every rifle suppressed, but 140 db is just where OSHA decided to draw their line in the sand and your ears won't let you know soon enough that you are damaging your hearing.

Not quite the same as the Rattlers y'all have but I have been running a 6.75" 300 BLK MCX SBR with a Sandman K tucked under a 10" MI Rail for a while as a little backseat PDW. Subsonics are noticeably louder than a Omega 30, Hybrid, or Rugged Surge on an 8.5" DI gun or my Leonidas Integral upper. Supersonics are about as loud as a 10.3 5.56 with an RC2 and while I use a 110 gr Barnes going as fast as I can push it as my PDW load there is noticeable ringing after cracking off a few without ear pro but the edge is completely gone and it wouldn't be distracting.

true that, ringing ears should not be the measure of "hearing safe"

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I believe you’re thinking about the Sig LVAW (Low Vis Assault Weapon) which was the original “black mamba” that the MCX came from.

The LVAW configuration was built for a specific contract as well, correct? Anyone know if it was ever officiallly adopted by anyone?

Dpvaz56

The LVAW configuration was built for a specific contract as well, correct? Anyone know if it was ever officiallly adopted by anyone?

I think the closest to “official” adoption you’ll get is it’s use by some high speeds in JSOC

patriot_man

I recently picked up a Rattler, haven't had a chance to shoot it as I'm still waiting for it to ship.

I've heard from a few sources that the Rattler was developed at the "request" of UKSF (SAS). Not sure if it had anything to do with the SAS's UCIW competition which LWRC won.

One thing I don't really like is how SIG now has two (three if you count the OG MCX) different variants of MCX that are not compatible with each other...

Erik

Amateur
I finally got to go out to the desert and shot the Rattler at distance. Shots at 200 meters at a steel IPSC target were manageable. The Rattler did not cycle subsonic ammunition on either gas setting. On low it short stroked, and on high it just barely did not cycle another round. The Rattler was 100% reliable with subsonic and traditional ammunition suppressed using a SIG SRD762 direct thread suppressor which came loose after about 100 rounds.

Darth Tater

We evaluated them for a specific application at work (backpack/sling bag guns in a crowded environment). We found that the short barrel did not let expanding .300BLK ammo get to sufficient velocity to actually expand. That led to significant overpenetration issues (32-36" in gel) and we scrapped it from consideration because that would be a poor choice in a crowded area. If that's not a concern for you, they otherwise performed well in overall testing and evaluation.