IDPA holster recommendation?

Nikguy

Amateur
Hello all!

I am going to start getting into IDPA (and hopefully USPSA), and I am wondering what are some of your recommendations for holsters and mag carriers.

I have an IDPA legal bladetech holster for one of my other guns, but i'm going to be running a USP (9mm Tactical) and don't have something for that yet.

Bladetech is fine and all, but I'm hoping to learn about some of the more premium options that might be out there. Thanks in advance!

-Nick

Ryan St.Jean

Buy a basic outside the waistband blade tech for the gun you want to use. Do a few competitions. Either you will keep the blade tech or can use it as a backup if you decide to upgrade.

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Blaed
Hello all!

I am going to start getting into IDPA (and hopefully USPSA), and I am wondering what are some of your recommendations for holsters and mag carriers.

I have an IDPA legal bladetech holster for one of my other guns, but i'm going to be running a USP (9mm Tactical) and don't have something for that yet.

Bladetech is fine and all, but I'm hoping to learn about some of the more premium options that might be out there. Thanks in advance!

-Nick
Buy a basic outside the waistband blade tech for the gun you want to use. Do a few competitions. Either you will keep the blade tech or can use it as a backup if you decide to upgrade.
Get a blade tech its a good solid holster that will serve you well

It doesn't have active retention, but your shooting a match not going on patrol and it does everything you knee. I mean you could get a custom holster, but what do you want a holster for pistol competition to do that a blade tech won't besides looking cool?

Do you intend to shoot any matches like two gun, tiger valley, hard as hell etc etc with rifles+shotguns in combination with pistol where you would need more retention then just a passive kydex holster?

Ryan St.Jean

Taking a step back. I should have mentioned that this is what I personally did. When I started shooting IDPA a bit over a year ago I bought a blade tech OWB (no active retention). I have done a rifle class, a few IDPA matches, and a 3 gun match with it. The holster I have passes my highly scientific "put the gun (empty chamber) in the holster, turn it upside down and shake it." test and has worked fine in the matches.

My point is that you should get the basic stuff to get started in the sport and do it for awhile. Then down the road when you have more experience (ask the guys who have been doing it for awhile) you can make better choices to upgrade. Save you some money.

I could fiddle around ordering custom or semi custom holsters @ $100 ish a pop to find a perfect one but so far I have just stuck with the blade tech.

Nikguy

Amateur
Thanks for the responses everyone!

So far I just plan on IDPA and USPSA (when I find some decently close by).

Good points people, thanks.

MrMurphy

Nothing wrong with BT. I have used Comp-Tac for nearly 17 years, and their basic belt rigs will also serve well.