Buffer weight for SBRs?

Grayman

Established
I have an A5 on mine as noted in the other thread and I highly recommend it! Well worth the dough in my opinion.

Won't get picky with ammo and doesn't give a shit how dirty the gun is like some of the heavy buffer carbine systems... I've run mine suppressed as well and it doesn't hiccup.

To actually answer the question I run the standard A5 buffer which I believe is somewhere between an H3/H4 weight.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
H2. No issues with the 10.5" and 11.5" uppers. Both have been ran with FOF bolts and ammo in addition to various ammo.

Simms65

Shenanigans!
Staff member
Administrator
Unless the barrel comes drilled "undergassed" for the industry standard, H is where I start. If it's going on a FA lower, sometimes an H2/H3 is required for timing and bolt bounce issues.

SWATcop556

I run a H3 on my 11.5 BCM. Runs like a sewing machine suppressed and unsuppressed. I've been eyeballing the A5 setup though.

Dpvaz56

H with LAW folder on my 10.3" (suppressed and unsuppressed) and H2 on my 14.5" middy (unsuppressed) both with no issues. I've also run an H2 with the LAW with no issues as well.

OK-5-0

Both my issues DD 11.5 and BCM 11.5 run with a can. They eject to the 1 o’clock and has more recoil than it should. I am worried about the recoil beatin up my Guns. Would switching the buffer weight to the H2 or H3 be better?

Yondering

Standard carbine buffers in all of mine, unless the lower happened to come with an H or H2 (have one of each). I tune the gas system on my guns instead of trying to slow it down with heavier buffers.

Joe _K

Established
Standard carbine buffers in all of mine, unless the lower happened to come with an H or H2 (have one of each). I tune the gas system on my guns instead of trying to slow it down with heavier buffers.

So are you using an adjustable gas system? Or using something different than an AR?

“Don’t go slow, be careful” - Jedi

Yondering

Yes, I'm talking about the AR platform. I use either adjustable gas blocks on most of them, or set the gas port size correctly to start with. (The effect is the same.) I've also tuned the gas system with an appropriately sized bushing in a standard gas block; that works well with A2 front sight blocks.

GraeLine

A5 system with a Law Folder. The additional length of the Law actually necessitated going to a little lighter buffer on a BCM 11.5" upper.

Standard BCM gas block, LMT Enchanced BCG.

Keith03

With my DD mk18 with an H2 buffer and no suppressor, I can feel the buffer impact the end of the buffer tube hard enough that I am worried about it beating he gun to death.

I also shoot this gun suppressed.

Would I be better off with a Vltor A5 set up, or a standard H4?

Ammo varies from PMC Bronze 223 to 223 and 556 pressure reloads, mk262 and xm193.

Thanks.

Yondering

Keith, with no suppressor attached, where is ejection when you feel the buffer impact? Is it forward of 3:00 (directly to your right)?

It sounds a bit overgassed without the suppressor, so it'll definitely be worse suppressed. PMC Bronze to Mk262 is a pretty wide range though; you can fine tune the rifle a bit better if you decide to stick to just the high pressure 5.56 stuff, or just the milder 223 Rem loads.

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
Both my issues DD 11.5 and BCM 11.5 run with a can. They eject to the 1 o’clock and has more recoil than it should. I am worried about the recoil beatin up my Guns. Would switching the buffer weight to the H2 or H3 be better?

In William Larsen's AR armorer course he discusses this quite a bit. The main problem is generally an oversized gas port, and most 'fixes' are just band-aids that are masking the real problem. Yes dropping in an H3 buffer might mitigate some of the symptoms, but not the problem. DD barrels at least have been known to be overgassed, I do not know if that is still the case. I heard they fixed their MK18 barrels, but I don't know about the rest of the line. Even my 11.5 BCM was larger than crane spec for a 10.3, and that was measured with a pin gauge set. I got a bootleg adjustable carrier which has been running very well for about 1,500 rounds, but isn't for everyone. Another solution is the BRT gas block inserts (or the EZTUNE gas tube if you don't want to pull your gas block and muzzle device).

Keith03

Keith, with no suppressor attached, where is ejection when you feel the buffer impact? Is it forward of 3:00 (directly to your right)?

It sounds a bit overgassed without the suppressor, so it'll definitely be worse suppressed. PMC Bronze to Mk262 is a pretty wide range though; you can fine tune the rifle a bit better if you decide to stick to just the high pressure 5.56 stuff, or just the milder 223 Rem loads.

I will have to shoot it again this weekend and look at the ejection pattern closer. I will give up mild 223 to gain durability with 556 loads.

OK-5-0

So
In William Larsen's AR armorer course he discusses this quite a bit. The main problem is generally an oversized gas port, and most 'fixes' are just band-aids that are masking the real problem. Yes dropping in an H3 buffer might mitigate some of the symptoms, but not the problem. DD barrels at least have been known to be overgassed, I do not know if that is still the case. I heard they fixed their MK18 barrels, but I don't know about the rest of the line. Even my 11.5 BCM was larger than crane spec for a 10.3, and that was measured with a pin gauge set. I got a bootleg adjustable carrier which has been running very well for about 1,500 rounds, but isn't for everyone. Another solution is the BRT gas block inserts (or the EZTUNE gas tube if you don't want to pull your gas block and muzzle device).

So ended up sending DD back with the AAC suppressor on the rifle. They put on an adjustable gas block and tuned it. They could have told us to pound sand since we didn’t use their can initially. Good folks. It runs like a scalled ass ape now!

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
So

So ended up sending DD back with the AAC suppressor on the rifle. They put on an adjustable gas block and tuned it. They could have told us to pound sand since we didn’t use their can initially. Good folks. It runs like a scalled ass ape now!

That's interesting especially since, to my knowledge, DD does not sell an adjustable gas block. Do you happen to know the make of the GB they used?

cogt3

Quantified Performance
So

That's interesting especially since, to my knowledge, DD does not sell an adjustable gas block. Do you happen to know the make of the GB they used?

Would guess SLR, they OEM the DD low profile gas block already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro