RDS on a G35 is a waste

Jeff22

"I'm of the belief that I either have to have them on all of my pistols, or none of my pistols. Since my employer says no RDS on our duty or off duty guns, they have made the decision for me. I'm ok with that."

I kind of agree with that. RDS on handguns is probably the wave of the future. I'm intrigued by the concept. I've shot a few USPSA open guns with optics. Not much. One of my friends recently got a Glock 34 with an RMR on it and I shot it a little bit. He's been having trouble with the dot on the sight going out all the time and he's still trying to get that sorted out.

I don't think the technology is mature just yet but it's coming

The trick with MRDS on pistols is going to be getting surface mount soldering to a point where the components can take the abuse of the vibration and shock. Having a small background in circuit board assembly, I feel it is going to take a breakthrough in how we mount electronic components on boards to get us to the point where we see fewer failures. The other end of that is attacking the problem from the angle of potting (securing or coating a board/electronics with a mixture designed to stabilize the electronics or protect them from environmental degradation). If we can science the shit out of a material that will lock the pieces down on a board and provide excellent environmental protection, while also being easy to remove for service, then that's the ticket.

My brain is tossing around the idea of a circuit board manufactured to provide pockets for the components that keep them in place while on the contact pads... 3D printed circuit boards?

North

Amateur
The trick with MRDS on pistols is going to be getting surface mount soldering to a point where the components can take the abuse of the vibration and shock. Having a small background in circuit board assembly, I feel it is going to take a breakthrough in how we mount electronic components on boards to get us to the point where we see fewer failures. The other end of that is attacking the problem from the angle of potting (securing or coating a board/electronics with a mixture designed to stabilize the electronics or protect them from environmental degradation). If we can science the shit out of a material that will lock the pieces down on a board and provide excellent environmental protection, while also being easy to remove for service, then that's the ticket.

My brain is tossing around the idea of a circuit board manufactured to provide pockets for the components that keep them in place while on the contact pads... 3D printed circuit boards?

I think you might be onto something there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge37

be83b24f7a10bc1f829e3db518e027af.jpg

743204e8787393831402be7786471208.jpg

my 19. Same length as your 34, shoots softer and flatter, more concealable grip..... it's like a day walking vampire!

Dodge37

Mr. Roland Sir in some of your videos you say you prefer the aimpoint did you not choose them for Roland special because it's harder to conceal than RMR? What dot size dye you prefer? Thank you for you time and experience.

CS0817

So after 17 months, do we all still feel the same way about an RDS on a G34/35? I'm about to pick up a G34 and an RMR with the intention of sending it to ATEI for installation.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
So after 17 months, do we all still feel the same way about an RDS on a G34/35? I'm about to pick up a G34 and an RMR with the intention of sending it to ATEI for installation.
What’s your purpose? Carry? Comp? F it, because I can?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
G19's grip is too small. Pinky support is a thing and greatly affects my shooting.

If G19x came in black that would be a consideration.

user12358

Just to pick your brain, why did you go with a 34 over a 17 when using an RDS? Is it just because the X300U is already all the way out there so you might as well get a little more velocity?

hile

Amateur
I just picked up a G34 Gen5 MOS for a foray into RDS on pistols. Looking forward to seeing how that shoots (Read: better than I do) later today.

Bub

Amateur
I have been running black rear and front cowitness sights with my red dots on pistols. Noticed some pistols/sights are coming with fiber optic front sights, does anyone use fiber on front cowitness? Seems like it could get confusing to me.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I have been running black rear and front cowitness sights with my red dots on pistols. Noticed some pistols/sights are coming with fiber optic front sights, does anyone use fiber on front cowitness? Seems like it could get confusing to me.

My P320 X-Carry is dotted and has Sig's X-Ray3 day/night sights, which on the front is a combo fiber optic and tritium vial. The fiber optic is green, the red dot is red. Doesn't confuse me during shooting

Matt K

I tried a buddy's G34 which had a dawson FO front with a red insert. It was fine up until I shot a course of fire which required a weak-hand shot off the weak side of a barricade. I pressed when I saw the red dot only to realize I used the wrong red dot...I think this was compounded by him having a higher sight for more of an absolute co-witness.
If I was going to use something other than plain black (the way my G19 is set up), I'd go with a contrasting color like the previous poster mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shoobe01

Established
...I feel it is going to take a breakthrough in how we mount electronic components on boards to get us to the point where we see fewer failures. The other end of that is attacking the problem from the angle of potting (securing or coating a board/electronics with a mixture designed to stabilize the electronics or protect them from environmental degradation). If we can science the shit out of a material that will lock the pieces down on a board and provide excellent environmental protection, while also being easy to remove for service, then that's the ticket.

I have, long ago, seen what I'll call "fully-potted" electronics modules. Always wondered why we didn't have more of that. Make electronic thingy, then encase it all in a block of plastic. Screw the block of plastic to airplane/car/gun. No internal damage possible.

Obviously, I am missing removable components like batteries, optics and adjustments as needed for gunsights, but the electronics seem the shittiest and most failure-prone.

I would guess "heat dissipation" but do tell me the not-at-all-expert what is the impediment to this, or what else along those lines do we expect to change the reliability of this stuff in future?

MojoNixon

Established
I have, long ago, seen what I'll call "fully-potted" electronics modules. Always wondered why we didn't have more of that. Make electronic thingy, then encase it all in a block of plastic. Screw the block of plastic to airplane/car/gun. No internal damage possible.

Obviously, I am missing removable components like batteries, optics and adjustments as needed for gunsights, but the electronics seem the shittiest and most failure-prone.

I would guess "heat dissipation" but do tell me the not-at-all-expert what is the impediment to this, or what else along those lines do we expect to change the reliability of this stuff in future?
I’ve seen fully potted electronics but not recently. It was always done essentially for damage control ( in the medical device industry I’ve been in forever). Pot it up, beat the crap out of it in testing then re-check for functionality. Usually it worked exceptionally well. Can’t think why I don’t see it much anymore. I wouldn’t imagine it’s very expensive.

SCSU74

I went from using Dawson fiber front/black rear on all my pistols before going with RDS. I originally was using a fiber front from Dawson only because it's the only sight they had in stock at the height I needed. I didn't care for it, I could tell which was the dot and which was the fiber, I just didn't like seeing both. I removed the fiber and was left with a hole, equally distracting. I ended up ordering a custom all black iron from them and like it a lot better. Another option I tried was blacking out a green fiber, worked fine, I just figured I might as well do it right and get the all black.