Consensus on the Beretta PX4

SmElly

On a quest for a carry gun. I'm a skinny little dude so, naturally, appendix is gonna be my only option if I wanna conceal something bigger than a Ruger LCP.
If I'm going appendix, I'd like a hammer to thumb on reholster, and the spaghetti glock seems like the closest I'm gonna get to a G19.

Any input on long term reliability?
Weird quirks or deal breakers?

SmElly

I'd also really like to hear from instructor type folks who've seen the PX4 come through class.
If possible.

Blammet

I know its not what you are looking for but have you looked at a glock with a tau development group striker control device? It replaces the back plate on a glock to move when the striker is moving acting like a hammer would on a sa/da gun. When reholstering it gives you put your thumb on it to tell if the striker is moving. Just giving you more options to look at.

SmElly

I know its not what you are looking for but have you looked at a glock with a tau development group striker control device? It replaces the back plate on a glock to move when the striker is moving acting like a hammer would on a sa/da gun. When reholstering it gives you put your thumb on it to tell if the striker is moving. Just giving you more options to look at.

I've looked into this option. I know it sounds stupid, but adding a modification that directly interacts with the FCG makes me nervous. I'd rather have what I'm looking for come from the factory.

Ernest Langdon has to be the biggest fan I know.

Based on his input- I want one.

I have the utmost respect for Mr. Langdon, and I wouldnt want to call his endorsement into question. However, his affiliation with Beretta creates my desire for input from alternative sources.

My reply to Blammet makes me look neurotic, and my reply to Riafdnal makes me look like a dick. I'm off to a great start here on the forums lol :D

spinmove_

I’ve put a rather modest amount of rounds through a stock PX4c, but it handles well. I’d say it punches above its weight class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default.mp3

Established
The PX4, or PX4 Compact? Not that there's necessarily much difference, but they're not the same gun. I'll also note that the H&K USP Compacts and P2000s are Glock 19 size. As for concealed carry, it's what you make of it; I'm 5'8", ~145 lbs, and I AIWB a P30LS with an X400UH, RMR, HKParts MicroComp, and TF +5 extensions.

As for the PX4, while it has a decent reputation now, it used to have an absolutely terrible one; I remember Todd Louis Green relating how most of the shooters that also worked at Beretta hated it, and how the entire Beretta sponsored team quit rather than switch to the PX4. Reports of needing rubber mallets to smack the slides due to the guns seizing up after a couple hundred rounds were reported (Canadian LE), while other have reported similar issues with the Cougar, which also features a rotating barrel. Thus, I am rather curious as to what changed over the years to allow the PX4 to become a reliable gun, as most of the newer reports are fairly glowing, even those from shooters I'd trust; after all, Todd worked at the LE branch for Beretta, and saw enough examples of failures to make him despise the gun.

Two giant threads about the PX4 and PX4 Compact, respectively:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25341-Beretta-PX4-Storm-Underrated-is-an-Understatement!
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16519-The-PX4-Compact-might-be-my-DA-SA-Glock-19

SmElly

The PX4, or PX4 Compact? Not that there's necessarily much difference, but they're not the same gun. I'll also note that the H&K USP Compacts and P2000s are Glock 19 size. As for concealed carry, it's what you make of it; I'm 5'8", ~145 lbs, and I AIWB a P30LS with an X400UH, RMR, HKParts MicroComp, and TF +5 extensions.

As for the PX4, while it has a decent reputation now, it used to have an absolutely terrible one; I remember Todd Louis Green relating how most of the shooters that also worked at Beretta hated it, and how the entire Beretta sponsored team quit rather than switch to the PX4. Reports of needing rubber mallets to smack the slides due to the guns seizing up after a couple hundred rounds were reported (Canadian LE), while other have reported similar issues with the Cougar, which also features a rotating barrel. Thus, I am rather curious as to what changed over the years to allow the PX4 to become a reliable gun, as most of the newer reports are fairly glowing, even those from shooters I'd trust; after all, Todd worked at the LE branch for Beretta, and saw enough examples of failures to make him despise the gun.

Two giant threads about the PX4 and PX4 Compact, respectively:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25341-Beretta-PX4-Storm-Underrated-is-an-Understatement!
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16519-The-PX4-Compact-might-be-my-DA-SA-Glock-19

Much appreciated sir.

Yeah, there's certainly some inconsistencies in its track record. I definitely thought long and hard about a P2000, but I've been a striker fired guy for as long as I can remember, so I didnt think I was man enough for the P2000's double action trigger. If the PX4 doesnt impress, either a P200 or a p07 will be my next stop.

I take my NREMT exam tomorrow, so free time to shoot has been sparse. Hopefully, in the next few months, I'll be able to shoot the ever living piss out of my PX4 and give you guys some reports.

voodoo_man

Established
The px4 in every iteration is pretty cool, it's a nice shooting gun.

With that said, why would you carry anything other than a Glock? With the right holster it becomes invisible and highly dependable. Yes, as one poster stated, get an SCD.

spinmove_

It seems that Beretta probably had some early issues with the PX4 line early on. Nobody is perfect and it seems they have fixed the issues with the platform. Kudos to Beretta for that.

Having said that, I carry a G19.4 with a SCD when I can as it works for me and logistically made sense at the time I made the decision to pick a carry gun. It doesn’t suck so I’ll continue to carry it until it fails or something else drastically changes things.

Joe _K

Established
I bought a full size in .40, (I know, I know, but I was naive and young then), some years ago when they first came out. My sample size of one was pretty picky on ammunition and seemed to have way more recoil and snap than my friends M&P’s and Glock 22’s. I ended up selling it and never looked back. Now though if I was in the market for a Polymer framed double stack 9x19 I’m not sure whether I would opt for the CZ P07/09 or the PX4 C/Full Size.
The PX4’s in 9mm I have seen come through admittedly low round count basic classes sub 500 rounds, have faired well.
Ernest Langdon might be sponsored, but something tells me he wouldn’t switch to High Point if they offered him more money, free guns, or free ammo.

SmElly

Ernest Langdon might be sponsored, but something tells me he wouldn’t switch to High Point if they offered him more money, free guns, or free ammo.

This is true. I'm still gonna err on the side of caution.

With that said, why would you carry anything other than a Glock? With the right holster it becomes invisible and highly dependable. Yes, as one poster stated, get an SCD.
From a purely objective standpoint, I believe the G19 is the best carry gun out there. It does everything it's competitors do in a thinner, lighter, more proven, more aftermarket rich manner.

However, my paranoia about the SCD still stands. I'm just apprehensive about installing something that doesnt exist in original design, and that directly interacts with critical components.
I know. I'm silly.
Thanks for your input, regardless.

It seems that Beretta probably had some early issues with the PX4 line early on. Nobody is perfect and it seems they have fixed the issues with the platform. Kudos to Beretta for that.

Having said that, I carry a G19.4 with a SCD when I can as it works for me and logistically made sense at the time I made the decision to pick a carry gun. It doesn’t suck so I’ll continue to carry it until it fails or something else drastically changes things.

Everything I said above about the G19 applies. I still appreciate the input.

spinmove_

From a purely objective standpoint, I believe the G19 is the best carry gun out there. It does everything it's competitors do in a thinner, lighter, more proven, more aftermarket rich manner.

However, my paranoia about the SCD still stands. I'm just apprehensive about installing something that doesnt exist in original design, and that directly interacts with critical components.
I know. I'm silly.

Fair enough, whatever works for you. If it gives you the heebee jeebees, then don’t do it. But enough people who know enough about a thing or two have put those through the wringer and they’ve come out rock solid.

SmElly

Fair enough, whatever works for you. If it gives you the heebee jeebees, then don’t do it. But enough people who know enough about a thing or two have put those through the wringer and they’ve come out rock solid.

I'll definitely keep that in mind if the PX4 fails to impress. Thanks again.

voodoo_man

Established

I know. I'm silly.

I'm about 3/4 done my review if the gen3/4 SCD and the pretravel version for aftermarket (specifically the overwatch) trigger. Once I get the gen5 scd in the mail I'll compare the two(three) and post up both the review and comparison.

As for the after market stuff which may or may not be designed for the gun from the factory, and as I'll say in my review, the Glock pistol should come from the factory with an SCD. The fact it had to be created is an issue for Glock.

SmElly

I'm about 3/4 done my review if the gen3/4 SCD and the pretravel version for aftermarket (specifically the overwatch) trigger. Once I get the gen5 scd in the mail I'll compare the two(three) and post up both the review and comparison.

As for the after market stuff which may or may not be designed for the gun from the factory, and as I'll say in my review, the Glock pistol should come from the factory with an SCD. The fact it had to be created is an issue for Glock.
Looking forward to it.

God f*cking dammit people, youre giving me even more decisions to make here, with your helpful input and you experience and whatnot.
Next time just let me stay ignorant so that I dont actually have to decide anything!!

spinmove_

Looking forward to it.

God f*cking dammit people, youre giving me even more decisions to make here, with your helpful input and you experience and whatnot.
Next time just let me stay ignorant so that I dont actually have to decide anything!!

If it helps, it ultimately doesn’t matter which one you go with. They’re both good platforms in 9mm that should be easy enough to carry. Just keep in mind that when you do make the decision that you should dedicate a significant portion of your time and ammo to it and not think about if you would have been better off with the other option.

It’s the Indian, not the Arrow.

SmElly

If it helps, it ultimately doesn’t matter which one you go with. They’re both good platforms in 9mm that should be easy enough to carry. Just keep in mind that when you do make the decision that you should dedicate a significant portion of your time and ammo to it and not think about if you would have been better off with the other option.

It’s the Indian, not the Arrow.

Absolutely.