Carrying while running?

Yo_Adrian_G

Amateur
I was wondering what everyone's running carry rig is and how they carry?
I currently use a maxpedition fanny pack with a fill blowout kit in the back, G26 spare mag, folding knife, flashlight, wallet and iPhone. It gets pretty heavy so I was wondering what everyone else uses?
Thanks!

OEF89E

HPG Snubby Kit Bag in grey. It's just the right size to hold a gun with a few extras but it doesn't look so big that people will wonder wtf is on your chest. I put my phone in the front pocket and run headphones out of it, so that makes it pretty obvious that it's to hold my phone. I can carry either a glock 19 or 43 just fine in it. With the 43, I usually stick a spare mag in as well. It's a fantastic product.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/6

HPG Snubby Kit Bag in grey. It's just the right size to hold a gun with a few extras but it doesn't look so big that people will wonder wtf is on your chest. I put my phone in the front pocket and run headphones out of it, so that makes it pretty obvious that it's to hold my phone. I can carry either a glock 19 or 43 just fine in it. With the 43, I usually stick a spare mag in as well. It's a fantastic product.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/6

I've been on the fence getting a kit bag for the trail... may have to pull the trigger on one soon.

Matt0311

I like Hill People Gear a lot, it is kind of obvious though and if I can look unarmed I prefer to. I use one of their pouches while hiking though.

I've been using a belly band which is fine except for sprinting. Heard good things about the Unity belt but I'll probably be going to a chest holster by 2A Holsters.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I'm tempted to get a Unity Clutch belt, but waiting for more feedback from Jarad Reston who posted he got one to try out.

Currently I will carry my 19 or RMR'd 17 in a Uncle Mikes neoprene holster. Its not perfect, but its okay. I do need to get a new one as its worn out. This works with any shorts I can tie tight.

If running longer distances I'll through the gun in a Go-Lite fanny pack and accept getting the gun is a slow process from 6 O'clock.

Sometimes I wear pants/shorts with belt loops and belt and carry AIWB in a wedgeless Eidolon.

Yo_Adrian_G

Amateur
I've thought about the HPG offerings but it would be similar to what I'm currently using. The other issue is that I'm in south Florida so it's pretty hot. The clutch is something I hadn't thought about. I saw Mr. Reston's post and would be interested to hear some feedback also since he is also in Florida.

hellion

Amateur
I carry a Glock 43 in one of these rigs:

https://gngtactical.us/collections/elite-series/products/alpha-carry-mod-2-solid-prints

Full disclosure, he's a local guy and had given me free holsters before, and sold me that particular one at a discount. That being said, he makes solid holsters, and has great customer service.

The regular belt clips, with the weight of the gun and extra mag stay clipped to my shorts, which are mma/wod style shorts, just fine. I've contemplated ordering some utiliclips to replace then though, for extra security.

https://www.ulticlip.com/

But at an additional $25, when the current holster works fine, I have not made it a priority.

MojoNixon

Established
I carry a Glock 43 in one of these rigs:

https://gngtactical.us/collections/elite-series/products/alpha-carry-mod-2-solid-prints

Full disclosure, he's a local guy and had given me free holsters before, and sold me that particular one at a discount. That being said, he makes solid holsters, and has great customer service.

The regular belt clips, with the weight of the gun and extra mag stay clipped to my shorts, which are mma/wod style shorts, just fine. I've contemplated ordering some utiliclips to replace then though, for extra security.

https://www.ulticlip.com/

But at an additional $25, when the current holster works fine, I have not made it a priority.
I tried an ulticlip and granted it was only a $10 experiment, but it was a total failure of an experiment. It would not clip on to any shorts or sweat pants I had with any degree of strength to allow drawing a weapon and leave the holster in my pants.
As always, YMMV, and if it works for you that would be a good thing.

JCSpringer

When I carry my baby glock I've worn a pistol-wear .com neoprene belly band pouch. Or I run the HPG kit bag with my duty gun. . I added some different shock cord to the HPG to reduce shift on body for me.

hellion

Amateur
I tried an ulticlip and granted it was only a $10 experiment, but it was a total failure of an experiment. It would not clip on to any shorts or sweat pants I had with any degree of strength to allow drawing a weapon and leave the holster in my pants.
As always, YMMV, and if it works for you that would be a good thing.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. If what I have now is currently working, definitely no sense in spending money to change to something that has failed others!

shoobe01

Established
Used to carry either a fannypack that I sewed a holster into:
_DSC5231-s.jpg
Before that, similar but I had sewn webbing in to attach a holster I used otherwise (e.g. webbing simulated a belt, clip IWB holster to it). I have been doing this solution long enough that my previous fannypack also had an internal holder and antenna port for a GPS, because I tracked runs before there were good smartphone/watch systems.

If carrying anything else, I just put a holster in a small pack (GGG LW Assault pack).

But mostly now... I just stick the Kahr P9 into my waistband, AIWB, with a simple clippy holster. Have surprisingly zero issue with it in there, for years and years. Just light enough that yes drawstring shorts or long running pants retain it fine.

Unity clutch+ sayoc+ g43 + med + rats (kidding about the rats, they’re pieces of shit)

Bought a size bigger in the clutch and run it lower on my torso to not interfere with breathing. It works pretty well. I get some bro acne accumulation especially when I’m doing longer distance cycles from the sweat accumulation but that’s a minor cost. The more you use it the more you can kind of hash any hot spots and address them. Works pretty well. Would recommend to anyone.

Matt0311

Since originally posting in this thread I got a 2A Holster chest rig and carry a Glock 43 oriented muzzle up while running. I can't really picture anything being better and for me personally, the search is over.

I just got a 43x and I’m waiting for my holster to be made from a local kydex bender. One thing I have found is that bord shorts work better then gym shorts because the wait band usually aren’t elastic.

Theforge

I was wondering what everyone's running carry rig is and how they carry?
I currently use a maxpedition fanny pack with a fill blowout kit in the back, G26 spare mag, folding knife, flashlight, wallet and iPhone. It gets pretty heavy so I was wondering what everyone else uses?
Thanks!
I would run with my 642 tucked in an eagle runners pouch, until my runs routinely exceeded 6 miles and it got uncomfortable. I abandoned it, but also moved to a much nicer area. Then some serial shooter was striking my area so I started again. I used the galco waist band with that same 642 and could comfortably carry for 9-10 miles. The gun will get very sweaty though, so be sure to maintain it.

fwrun

This may be due to my background in performance running, but I do not carry a pistol when I run and don't see how I feasibly could without taking a serious toll on my workouts.

I bring my clothes, ID card, and a Spyderco Delica. Don't even bring a cell phone. If I'm really going deep into the mountains, I'll bring my eTrex. I don't run in urban environments though, so the most I have to worry about is a rattlesnake.

shoobe01

Established
...I don't run in urban environments though, so the most I have to worry about is a rattlesnake.
Assuming you know your area better, but the one place I am 100% sure to carry is when running in the boonies. Aside from stats of late, only times I have had even peripheral run-ins (and one very no shit run in) with people has been in rural areas, state/fed parks, etc.