Range bag recommendations

DoKnowHarm

Hey guys,

What range bag are you using and how do you like it? I am currently using the propper range bag and have found that it is too small and has poor zippers. I'm looking for something new but almost everything looks like cheap crap.

Longeye

Established
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a good tool bag. They are made for heavy loads, dirt, and have good organization.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I'm a fan of the Vertx A Range bag. It is pricey no doubt but if you qualify for the promotive/experticity deal its 40% off. The B Range bag looks great too if you don't need one that's as big as the A.

I'm currently using the Sentinel Concepts Elite Range Bag from Tuff Products which was suggested to me by other forum members. The bag itself is well thought out and well made. My only critique is that I wish it would be a TAD bigger, but all in all I'm very satisfied. There are plenty of discounts to be found for Tuff Products also. The bag has held up well so far, with no major stitch fraying or zipper issues.

On the other hand, if you want to go for the low-profile discreet look, Longeye hit the nail on the head. You can find a quality bag that's meant to take punishment for low cost.

Jake@OPFW

I have an Arc'teryx Khard 30 liter that I got through their LEAF program. It is exceptionally pricey and at the time I bought it I had to wait for it to clear Canada to US customs. So it took about two weeks to get. I bought it before a deployment in 2013 and have taken it with me everywhere. Meaning: two trips since, at least a dozen "field" problems, and every range since. Other than a weathered exterior, it doesn't have so much as a busted stitch, fraying, loose seam, or any other sign of distress. I wish that I had bought one size up (the 45 liter). The 30 is great for most of my uses, but it won't fit an M4 with 10.5" barrel without disassembly. Other than that, I cannot recommend it enough.

I also have an old 5.11 rifle case that I don't really use anymore. Reason being is twofold: 1) it has these internal loops intended to keep your rifle from flopping around in the bag that popped their stitching within the first six months; 2) I bought a Pelican 1750 rifle case in 2014 and have never looked back. Again it is pricey, but with a foam interior, three carrying handles, wheels, latches, lock holes, and a hardened exterior, you really get what you pay for. I pack a rifle in this case for every road trip (it is slim enough to fit under the rear seat of my Silverado and in the trunk of my wife's Corolla). For competitions I can fit my 16" AR-15 along with my 18.5" Mossberg 930 SPX and 4.25" M&P and still have room for my chokes and a few spare mags. It absolutely rocks.

I had not thought of using tool bags, although if my Khard shits the bed, I will probably buy one just to try it out. It seems like a legit idea.

krax

Depends on how you want to carry your stuff to/from your vehicle.

If you want discrete and only one bag (i.e. apartment/town home living), the RE Factor ASO bag is just big enough for a broken down AR, batman belt, and small range accessories. https://www.refactortactical.com/co...ed-special-operations-bag?variant=36903765514

If you don't mind being more obvious, the SO Tech go bag makes for a really nice range bag, but you'll have to carry a rifle case separately.

For classes and range days where you've got to wear armor and a hard hat, Husky has a short rolling job site box that does a pretty good job of containing everything and the wheels work well at ranges. For $60 it's a good value and it doesn't scream "gun" in/out of hotels. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-35-in-Mobile-Job-Box-222167/205053257

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
I'm a fan of the Vertx A Range bag. It is pricey no doubt but if you qualify for the promotive/experticity deal its 40% off. The B Range bag looks great too if you don't need one that's as big as the A.
The Vertx A Range bag or the Gamut Plus backpack have been my recent go-to's.

When I teach at the academy, the ammo is supplied and easy to access. So I load the Vertx bags a bit differently. I can load 1x G17, 1x SW MP9fs and 1x G19 w/rmr and x300. 4x mags each pistol, spare batts, eye-pro in its case, electronic ear pro, ankle IFAK, small tool/armorer kit, inner belt and a Brokos belt all decked out, shot timer, 6volt flashlight and a couple of sharpies.

All of that fit well. But again, i don't have to worry about ammo transport.

Vaall

Depends on how you want to carry your stuff to/from your vehicle.

If you want discrete and only one bag (i.e. apartment/town home living), the RE Factor ASO bag is just big enough for a broken down AR, batman belt, and small range accessories. https://www.refactortactical.com/co...ed-special-operations-bag?variant=36903765514

I don't think you could get more discrete than an Underarmor gym bag. :cool:

Been my go to for a few years, although I had to reinforce the bottom with a thicker plastic sheet than the standard factory option.