What's the best?

Bushido5150

I'll ask basically the same question but with a little bit more focus.

I am looking to upgrade from steel plates to ceramics or something else a lot lighter.
The primary function will be for a active shooter/armed suspect call outs for road patrol officer.
Threats are too varied and random to pin down but it could be anything from a .22 to a 45-70 or whatever else.

The biggest thing is cutting the weight and maintaining protection.

Thanks

There is a theory of trifecta that has been disseminated through wise individuals including frequent mods/contributors here. Three concepts, but you only get to pick two. Weight, protection, and price. Pick two the left out one is your down side. Velocity makes a good plate, but you will pay for it with the schmackos.

275RLTW

There is a theory of trifecta that has been disseminated through wise individuals including frequent mods/contributors here. Three concepts, but you only get to pick two. Weight, protection, and price. Pick two the left out one is your down side. Velocity makes a good plate, but you will pay for it with the schmackos.
Unless you get your stuff issued. Then price is no longer an issue.

Bushido5150

True man, Bushido's question just seemed to fall more within that individual purchase realm than a team/unit/department. Sorry for omitting, that was what my answer was more predicated on.

You are pretty much spot on. My department will allow me to have and use rifle plates, but they will not provide them. I bought steel last year but after feeling the weight difference between steel and ceramics I have to make a change.

MrMurphy

I went through AT armor wuth an LWPC and lvl 3 plates. Same reason. Authorized not issued. I am neither young or skinny anymore, i will pay more for less weight. Only thing i wish I'd done was get a FS carrier, Tubes are stupid fast. I'm upgrading my cummerbund when i have the $$.

Boy Scout

You are pretty much spot on. My department will allow me to have and use rifle plates, but they will not provide them.

I feel that pain. I'm rolling in 10 year old SAPIs with an equally old Diamondback PC. I'm just trying to put food on the table. Seeing if I can save up and get one of the SKD Slickster.1 packages, that's a heckuva deal...

As stated before Velocity seems to have garnered a following among people who are working. Caveats though man, everything is defeatable and has limits. White box winchester will eat *ar500* for breakfast. If you're looking for more coverage check out the Crye LVS.

Not trying to defecate on your parade here, but you realize for your armor plan to work you need to be wearing it. Example- Bedside middle of the night, don vest get to work- ok maybe, but that is a lot of moving parts in a highly fluid problem. Also if you feel you're a real target of something more specialized than just your run of the mill home invasion rest assured you will be at your most vulnerable when the action takes place. So what I'm getting at is are you planning on having a vest in every area you frequent in your home? Shitter vest, couch vest, bed vest, kitchen vest, etc? I'm not trying to lecture you either, so don't take it that way I am genuinely curious to your shtf plan for home defense involving a vest.

To address your main question in short without the pedantry- Check out AT Armor they usually have VS stuff in.

*Edited - MBL

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Ray

Vendor
@MrMurphy or anyone else running an LWPC: Have any of you adapted the FS cummerbund with Tubes to the Velocity LWPC? If so, how'd it work out? That's my current duty carrier (also sourced from AT) and the Tubes look like the way to go. I'm not full on decided to go that route, because quick on/off is currently more of a want than a need; just curious.

sekrtg

Caveats though man, everything is defeatable and has limits. White box winchester will eat ceramic for breakfast.

I apologize for resurrecting an almost 2 year old reply, but could I get some clarification on what this means? I understand that M193 at a certain velocity (20" bbl IIRC) will defeat AR500 steel plates, and M855 will defeat poly. I am not aware of ceramics having any issues defeating run of the mill 5.56mm rounds.