The Roland Special

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I want to say it was a couple inches which is what caught my attention. I probably wouldn't have blinked at 1" high at 15.

I'm not going to play the find the right front sight game. It's a fun fun so to speak. I'll be using the RMR about 101% of the time.

B0308

Amateur
I've had my G19 all set, RMR06 and suppressor sights (done by L&M). Shot like a laser at 10 and well and on target at 15, though not as tight as at 10.

Got the KKM barrel & Comp on Saturday (ordered end of Feb) installed it and hit the range today. Damn the first shot felt dramatically different, really flattened out the recoil impulse. Targets at 10 yards were tight and all X &10, 115, 124 or 147 gr. Then 15 yards, and as noted I was shooting high, some as far out at the 7 ring but most 9 and in.

Think I'm going to re-sight at 15 yards and see how the groups hold at 25. Thanks for the info.

B0308

Amateur
Re-zeroed at 15 yards today. The right answer for me. Ran through 115, 124 & 147gr practice rounds and all (except when I bitch-slapped the trigger on two occasions) were all in X or 10 ring of a B8 target. Same at 23 yards (as far as the indoor range went) with 124 & 147gr shots.

Next session is set for 124 & 147 GD and some aging 147gr CorBon. I expect good results.

About to send my slide off to ATEi, just wanted to know from those with and without the top serrations if it is worth it. Definitely going with the enhanced front and rear serrations but didn't know if the top serrations were worth the extra money or not.

ggammell

About to send my slide off to ATEi, just wanted to know from those with and without the top serrations if it is worth it. Definitely going with the enhanced front and rear serrations but didn't know if the top serrations were worth the extra money or not.

I look at them as an emergency oh shit way of gaining leverage when using an object to rack the slide instead of using the RMR. Racking by hand, I still grab towards the rear (against the RMR). So kind of like insurance for the RMR.

22Mike

Re-zeroed at 15 yards today. The right answer for me. Ran through 115, 124 & 147gr practice rounds and all (except when I bitch-slapped the trigger on two occasions) were all in X or 10 ring of a B8 target. Same at 23 yards (as far as the indoor range went) with 124 & 147gr shots.

Next session is set for 124 & 147 GD and some aging 147gr CorBon. I expect good results.

How did that GD work for you? I'm considering switching over from 147gr HST

12/5

I am new to the form and I looked through all the posts before posting this.

Is there are advantage to the RS with a gen3 G19 over the gen4? Or perhaps the gen 5? It seems the Gen 4 is the better choice at this point: The extended mag release (I have a gen 3 G23, gen 5 G19 and G43) and like the large release better. Also, the Gen 5 fits my hand better being slightly thinner (that is, the Gen 4 fits my hand better too). Also, the Gen 4 comes with 3 vs 2 mags in the Gen 3 kit. I am tempted to go gen 5, but no Freya mag well and the internals are just enough different, I am not sure I want to be the test case. Pros/cons of the various generation appreciated.

ggammell

Is there are advantage to the RS with a gen3 G19 over the gen4? Or perhaps the gen 5? It seems the Gen 4 is the better choice at this point: The extended mag release (I have a gen 3 G23, gen 5 G19 and G43) and like the large release better. Also, the Gen 5 fits my hand better being slightly thinner (that is, the Gen 4 fits my hand better too). Also, the Gen 4 comes with 3 vs 2 mags in the Gen 3 kit. I am tempted to go gen 5, but no Freya mag well and the internals are just enough different, I am not sure I want to be the test case. Pros/cons of the various generation appreciated.

I went Gen 4 for the ability to go larger on the grip. I use an Agency magwell as a result. I’m very happy with it. This of course was just a few months before the Gen 5 came out. So I had to pay to get the grip work done. I probably wouldn’t touch a stock Gen 5 frame. Is the ambi that important to you? Gen 5 sounds like its got better accuracy from the factory but you’ll be getting an after market barrel anyway to add the comp.

pointblank4445

Established
Regarding the KKM barrels...what's the consensus to the black nitriding?

Anybody have it and wished they didn't do it? Worth the wait?

djsticky

Amateur

I am going down the road of being a test case for the gen 5. I have not committed to stippling yet. I like the grip on the gen 5. For reference I shoot a gen 3 currently.

But we shall see. The slide is at ATEi and a barrel/comp on order from KKM. I went ahead and ordered the current model of comp because I am impatient and figured I could give it a good test drive before they drop the gen 5 contoured comps.

I don't forsee any issues with the gen 5 being modified in this way but I just shoot the gun and know a little bit of how it makes the magic happen.

As far as gen 3 vs gen 4. I kept my gen 3 forever just because I already had it. The RTF and gen 4 mag release did not equal $500 of want for me. Prior to then gen 5 if I was buying a new gun I would have gotten a gen 4 just for the mag release button.

I can't comment on if the internals of a gen 3 lend themselves to more reliable function when comped then a gen 4 or 5. My gut says they should run the same but I have no data to back that up.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
One of my guys has a Gen 5 w/ the KKM comp and it locks up in his Safariland ALS holster. The gaps between the comp and the slide are large enough that the ALS mechanism engages on them as it typically does on the ejection port. That is not to say that this is guaranteed - there have been several others whose gen 5 KKM set ups work just fine in the ALS holsters, just something to be aware of.

Rick

ggammell

One of my guys has a Gen 5 w/ the KKM comp and it locks up in his Safariland ALS holster. The gaps between the comp and the slide are large enough that the ALS mechanism engages on them as it typically does on the ejection port. That is not to say that this is guaranteed - there have been several others whose gen 5 KKM set ups work just fine in the ALS holsters, just something to be aware of.

Rick

Possible that the comp isn’t screwed on tight enough?

I am going down the road of being a test case for the gen 5. I have not committed to stippling yet. I like the grip on the gen 5. For reference I shoot a gen 3 currently.

But we shall see. The slide is at ATEi and a barrel/comp on order from KKM. I went ahead and ordered the current model of comp because I am impatient and figured I could give it a good test drive before they drop the gen 5 contoured comps.

I don't forsee any issues with the gen 5 being modified in this way but I just shoot the gun and know a little bit of how it makes the magic happen.

As far as gen 3 vs gen 4. I kept my gen 3 forever just because I already had it. The RTF and gen 4 mag release did not equal $500 of want for me. Prior to then gen 5 if I was buying a new gun I would have gotten a gen 4 just for the mag release button.

I can't comment on if the internals of a gen 3 lend themselves to more reliable function when comped then a gen 4 or 5. My gut says they should run the same but I have no data to back that up.

I decided to go Gen 4 and picked a Foliage Green G19 yesterday. I will be getting the optics and then sending the slide off. I haven't decided on on the stipling either. The Tree bark I like better.

ggammell

I’m just thinking out loud here but what would a comp on a Glock 18 shoot like?

B0308

Amateur
Really freaking fast :cool:. But I've never fired a G18, so YMMV!

I'd guess it would flatten the recoil impulse, but not sure if enough to make it controllable.