Sig P320 thoughts

Cody m

Not exactly an upgrade, but I have two compact slides and one appears to have some material removed from the underside and one does not. Maybe to lighten the slide a bit.
Also just received my full-size RX model and the rear sight almost fell out of the dovetail after two mags. These were the first shots out of the gun.
IMG_20170130_140017.jpg

JPitts0117

I've been debating on picking up a 320 but have yet to pull the trigger. My current duty/edc gun is a g19. The modularity of the system really intrigues me, and I absolutely love the trigger from my experience with it. Anyone able to offer a good comparison between the two?

Thresher8-8

Amateur
What is the reason for leaving the 226/229? IMHO those platforms are a much better choice for the time being. The 320 is still very new compared to those models. There isn't much long term testing and that leads to an unknown regarding how everything holds up. Another issue with the 320 that I mentioned is the lack of back end support. It is very hard to find spare parts and with the military jsut selecting it as their sidearm that will only get worse until the contracts are filled.

As far as the durability, the only issue I've come across (heard of) was with the extractors in the compact. Bruce was made aware of this and was swapping the spring out, this eliminated the issues as far as I know. Regarding the Romeo I'd touch base with Alma Cole, he has a lot of use with the optic and is a good resource. Personally, I wouldn't use it on patrol based on the reviews I've read with the glass breaking. It is also made in China and rumored to be a Holosun re-brand, I'd rather go with a RMR which has been extensively tested/used in a duty environment.

According to SHOT, RMR holsters (Safariland ALS) for the 320 will be out soon. The safariland rep in the P/S group mentioned late Jan, early Feb.
I can not give you a definitive answer on why we are looking to switch. I am not on that committee. My guess would be we want a striker fired pistol but have too many anti-Glock people.
I was looking at the RX b/c of finding out about the potential switch, price and Sig warrant of the whole system.
I also just got an email from an extremely reliable Safariland man that the holsters for several variants of P320 are 4 months away.

Thanks for the input.

SCSU74

Not exactly an upgrade, but I have two compact slides and one appears to have some material removed from the underside and one does not. Maybe to lighten the slide a bit.
Also just received my full-size RX model and the rear sight almost fell out of the dovetail after two mags. These were the first shots out of the gun.
View attachment 1505

Wow, not exactly confidence inspiring, although I can't say I'm surprised. Sig is spreading itself way too thin and QC is suffering.

Cody m

Wow, not exactly confidence inspiring, although I can't say I'm surprised. Sig is spreading itself way too thin and QC is suffering.

Fail #2 for Sig. Lense cracked after dry fire practice and now have two dots in my FOV. Luckily my shop helped me out and just refunded my money. Not impressed with Sig right now.20170205_155051.jpg

SCSU74

That's the first I've seen the lens crack there. There have been a few reports of it cracking on the front side. I guess Chinese glass isn't up to snuff

OK-5-0

I spoke with my local Sig rep at our range. He said he would not use the Sig optic for duty use. Implying there were better options out there. He spoke of his own failed experience with their RDS having power issues/connectivity issues. He sent back his.....twice, then returned it all together. That being said he advised Sig will be upgrading their RDS in the future (time frame unknown).

I run a full size Sig P320 as my duty gun and love it. I would like to see them do what Glock did for the MOS and have the option to run a non Sig brand RDS on their slides.

ajsomp

I know that the USCG falls outside of the DOD, but any chance of the Coasties ditching their Sig .40 229R DAK's and picking up the 320/XM-17?

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Short answer yes. Long answer, it's going to take time. A lot of conversations going on about getting rid of the .40 cal first and foremost (but I think as the department shifts to 9mm the CG will follow suit) The quickest way it will happen is if one of the other agencies (ICE...) fully adopts and does the leg work, gets it into the system, and "proves" it can be done. It is a lot easier if a sell than a transition to a Glock, since the gunners mates are mostly Sig armorers as it is, and accessories like holsters shouldn't really need to change (though I'd have to fit test to be certain?). Personally, the quicker we can ditch the DAK and the .40 the better off we will be. I've personally cracked two frames and one slide since we transitioned from the berettas. While those had their own issues (locking blocks) they were tanks which took thousands of rounds, I think my first 229/40 problem was within 6 months of issue.

SCSU74

I spoke with my local Sig rep at our range. He said he would not use the Sig optic for duty use. Implying there were better options out there. He spoke of his own failed experience with their RDS having power issues/connectivity issues. He sent back his.....twice, then returned it all together. That being said he advised Sig will be upgrading their RDS in the future (time frame unknown).

I run a full size Sig P320 as my duty gun and love it. I would like to see them do what Glock did for the MOS and have the option to run a non Sig brand RDS on their slides.

Did you see the X/VTAC models from shot? it looks like they are trying to go that way, hopefully the adapter plates don't take forever. That being said I'd still rather just send a slide to ATEI/Housel and have it milled for the specific optic I'm using. Safariland ALS holsters are supposed to be coming out shortly for the 320 w/ RDS.

https://kitup.military.com/2017/01/p320-x-five.html

Joe _K

Established
Short answer yes. Long answer, it's going to take time. A lot of conversations going on about getting rid of the .40 cal first and foremost (but I think as the department shifts to 9mm the CG will follow suit) The quickest way it will happen is if one of the other agencies (ICE...) fully adopts and does the leg work, gets it into the system, and "proves" it can be done. It is a lot easier if a sell than a transition to a Glock, since the gunners mates are mostly Sig armorers as it is, and accessories like holsters shouldn't really need to change (though I'd have to fit test to be certain?). Personally, the quicker we can ditch the DAK and the .40 the better off we will be. I've personally cracked two frames and one slide since we transitioned from the berettas. While those had their own issues (locking blocks) they were tanks which took thousands of rounds, I think my first 229/40 problem was within 6 months of issue.
Good info, appreciate it.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

OK-5-0

Did you see the X/VTAC models from shot? it looks like they are trying to go that way, hopefully the adapter plates don't take forever. That being said I'd still rather just send a slide to ATEI/Housel and have it milled for the specific optic I'm using. Safariland ALS holsters are supposed to be coming out shortly for the 320 w/ RDS.

I hadn't not seen that video yet, thank you.

For me, a LEO, it is necessary for the weapon manufacturer to have the RDS cut as opposed to sending it out regardless who does it. Sucks but that is what I am dealing with at my department.
https://kitup.military.com/2017/01/p320-x-five.html

spinmove_

So are there any instructors that are seeing multiple samples of these guns coming through classes? How are the 10 round magazines faring in these guns? Thinking about eventually picking one up as a 10-round magazine ban state pistol that I can carry in lieu of my G19. I'd rather have something that size instead of a Shield.

basko

FWIW, I participated in a test shoot which included the full-size 320, compact as well as carry models. We shot several thousand rounds through those guns (as well as others).

I love the feel of the 320 in the hand, the trigger is excellent and the gun is very accurate. Probably the nicest shooting out of the box gun I've had hands on. However, we experienced very weird ejection patterns and repeated fails to extract. About every 5th ejected case hit me in the forehead. I love the gun, but until I'm 100% certain they've sorted out the ejection issues I can't bring myself to trust it. This was late last year though...

Just an update. I just rolled over 3k rounds through my p320 carry. The upgrades are a GG flat trigger (absolutely fantastic), trijicon HD's, a stippled frame, and a tlr-1HL.

I've still not had a malfunction using a variety of 115 and 124gr 9mm. The gun keeps working and with a shitload of dry fire and grip practice, I've been able to shoot the gun faster and more accurately than previous.

With clark making a keroman for the p320 now, it's going back into my summer carry rotation.

hellion

Amateur
Just an update. I just rolled over 3k rounds through my p320 carry. The upgrades are a GG flat trigger (absolutely fantastic), trijicon HD's, a stippled frame, and a tlr-1HL.

I've still not had a malfunction using a variety of 115 and 124gr 9mm. The gun keeps working and with a shitload of dry fire and grip practice, I've been able to shoot the gun faster and more accurately than previous.

With clark making a keroman for the p320 now, it's going back into my summer carry rotation.

How many pounds is the GG trigger rated for? Does it still save the same reset as the factory trigger?

How many pounds is the GG trigger rated for? Does it still save the same reset as the factory trigger?
The GG Pelt trigger cuts about 2 pounds off of the stock trigger. Reset is more or less the same, unless you use the GG trigger return spring. Their return spring will take off a wee bit more weight, but will affect the force of the reset. Some guys don't like it and keep their stock spring, other guys like myself don't mind the slightly less forceful reset.