Medics: First Line Belt Kit?

Darth Tater

Does anyone run first line treatment gear off a battle-belt type setup? Asking because my team currently runs 2 (occasionally 3) different sets of armor. Rather than have 3 different first-line treatment sets, I was considering trying to find a decent belt set-up. That way the first line would be the same regardless of IIIA, PC, or full entry vests.

Thoughts?

krax

Disclaimer: I'm not a medic, but I've had the pleasure of serving with some of the best.

I've seen some kick-ass belt setups that not only address the issue you're referring to, but actually makes a lot of sense for DA/"tactical" medicine.

The idea was that all CUF items and a few other life-saving tools were on the belt so that you're not taking off a med bag for those treatments. I think it was like 2x TQ (maybe more), 3-4 pre-made bleeder kits (each wrapped in a cravat), 1-2 cric kits (each wrapped in a cravat), and some airway stuff. The guys wearing the belt setup could treat off of their belt and move out in a hurry without worrying about collecting up their med bag. It didn't leave much room for anything other than a pistol as far as a fighting load, but that's the trade-off.

Hope that helps.

Darth Tater

Disclaimer: I'm not a medic, but I've had the pleasure of serving with some of the best.

I've seen some kick-ass belt setups that not only address the issue you're referring to, but actually makes a lot of sense for DA/"tactical" medicine.

The idea was that all CUF items and a few other life-saving tools were on the belt so that you're not taking off a med bag for those treatments. I think it was like 2x TQ (maybe more), 3-4 pre-made bleeder kits (each wrapped in a cravat), 1-2 cric kits (each wrapped in a cravat), and some airway stuff. The guys wearing the belt setup could treat off of their belt and move out in a hurry without worrying about collecting up their med bag. It didn't leave much room for anything other than a pistol as far as a fighting load, but that's the trade-off.

Hope that helps.

I remember you from your early days on LF. Your opinion is valid and welcome on any thread of mine!

That's the general concept of how I run my kit now, except it's in a primary care pouch on my entry vest (and I have to shuffle contents to the other platforms or rely on a couple of "extra ifaks" on them). I'd rather keep it consistent regardless of platform and without having to down my backpack and get into it.

Any way you could get a pic or the types of pouches they used?

My other concern is I do a lot of in/out of vehicles, so I have to manage the bulk of the setup.

Fatboy

Established
Have you looked into something like the SOTECH flat ifak? It looks like it would fit perfectly on the back of a belt, is easily marked, and can be accessed with either hand or a teammate.

I don't have any personal experience with it though.

Darth Tater

Have you looked into something like the SOTECH flat ifak? It looks like it would fit perfectly on the back of a belt, is easily marked, and can be accessed with either hand or a teammate.

I don't have any personal experience with it though.

I carry something similar as my IFAK on my belt at present.

krax

Any way you could get a pic or the types of pouches they used?

My other concern is I do a lot of in/out of vehicles, so I have to manage the bulk of the setup.

Everybody's a little camera shy, but I'll see what I can do.

When you say vehicles, you mean like po-lice cars? I don't think the medic belts are much bulkier than most LE bat belts, except for maybe the lumbar area.

Longeye

Established
I ran the SO Tech viper at 6 o'clock on my war belt for a bit. It was somewhat flatter than the TKN that I also ran at 6 for a hot minute. For my purposes, it was still too much. This mostly po-lice car action, either riding shotgun or second seat. But I am a larger Mammal. A warrior size guy with short little legs might need less space on the seat.

This was also as a primary entry guy. The medic was/is kicked up the same as us, but has his stuff in a medical backpack.

I run my current TKN at 9 o'clock on the PC cummerbund. I carry CAT TQs on my PC, warbelt, and in each calf pocket. Tenspeed MP7 mag pouches are perfect for CATs if you don't mind a little exposed TQ.

The So Tech viper is lower capacity and harder to organize than the TKN in my experience.

In your shoes, I would likely pick up a handful of USGI surplus IFAK pouches, and setup whatever you need on your vests. DRMO will get you rigged for free...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fatboy

Established
I guess I should have clarified about the flat IFAK. I was thinking of it filling in the space on a bat belt for the lower back when you have on heavy armor or an external vest. Not really for day to day patrol stuff.

I tend to keep a small bleeder kit in my right cargo pocket, a TQ on my belt, and additional medic stuff in a drop pouch on my plate carrier for the normal duty day. If it is a call out or team event, I have a kit already on my entry vest that I plus up with extra TQ's. (First rule of applying first aid in a gunfight is finish the gunfight. Second rule is stop the bleeding. All else can be worried about by medical staff.)

Cheeseman

Amateur
My team also runs a few 2nd line setups. I've run a trauma kit on my 1st line (warbelt) for a long time, at the 6. I run a SOE tear away. I can get to it with either hand and it's tear away. It's bare bones though. I just keep a CQ CG, Izzy and H&H gauze in it. I also keep a CAT in a pouch next to it.

Longeye

Established
This is for callout stuff. If we were coming out of a breadtruck I would likely have a different take on setup. My patrol side gear is simply a CAT on my gun belt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Darth Tater

Everybody's a little camera shy, but I'll see what I can do.

When you say vehicles, you mean like po-lice cars? I don't think the medic belts are much bulkier than most LE bat belts, except for maybe the lumbar area.

po-lice cars, minivans, passenger vans, Bearcats, SUVs. The issue really is working in/out of "normal" seats as opposed to more modified seats (some police package cars, mil vehicles) that have allowances for bulky gear.

Darth Tater

Thanks for the input. My solution I'm looking for isn't for patrol uniforms, and isn't for an individual officer/deputy's IFAK.

What I'm working on, as a TEMS guy on my team, is for me (and my TEMS guys) to have our dedicated first line treatment gear to treat others on a belt-type system so that whichever armor profile we're using for that task, the life-saving capability isn't diminished based on what we have/don't have on the vest.

It needs to be something I can access under a plate carrier, IIIA molle carrier, or full entry vest with dick protector. It needs to be something I can wear in and out of conventional (unmarked) vehicles without getting stuck due to bulk. It needs to be more than just an IFAK for me. (I have that covered.)

So something like 2-3 TQ pouches, and 2 double stacked M4 pouches with pressure dressing in them on the belt, along with your pistol, a reload, multitool etc, is that what we're talking about? Basically a belt setup for care under fire?

Maybe CTOMS bandage pouch is a good way to go? $10 a pop and will hold a 4 inch izzy and combat gauze. Takes up about the same space as a rifle mag pouch, maybe a little smaller?

http://ctomsDOTca/Mission-Essential-Equipment/On-Sale/bandage-pouch_2.html

Thanks for the input. My solution I'm looking for isn't for patrol uniforms, and isn't for an individual officer/deputy's IFAK.

What I'm working on, as a TEMS guy on my team, is for me (and my TEMS guys) to have our dedicated first line treatment gear to treat others on a belt-type system so that whichever armor profile we're using for that task, the life-saving capability isn't diminished based on what we have/don't have on the vest.

It needs to be something I can access under a plate carrier, IIIA molle carrier, or full entry vest with dick protector. It needs to be something I can wear in and out of conventional (unmarked) vehicles without getting stuck due to bulk. It needs to be more than just an IFAK for me. (I have that covered.)

Have you looked at Kerry Davis' "D.A.R.K. Lite" kit? It may be light on some supplies to your needs but at 4x4x1 it's small and compact enough. Add a TQ and you've got something sized just about right. I run a full size DARK on my belt and carrier. Another option would be the "Shingle" kit they have, which is made to fit under/in the 'roo pouch on most PCs.

As a disclaimer, I'm no longer an active EMT, I just try to work with what I know.

I spoke with an active-duty SEAL commander about this very issue when we were looking at possibly standing up a tactical medic team. A pouch that is often ran in their community is one from London Bridge Trading, the 9022B. It fits in the 6' oclock position and is one of the lowest-profile pouches I have found.

LBT's off-shore subsidiary, LBX Tactical, makes the exact same pouch for only $20-- build quality is decent (I have both, one from LBT and LBX) and it's a cheap proof-of-concept to see whether you'll like it or not.

krax

The LBT pouch is an excellent individual/self-aid med pouch, but not very well suited to a medic.

Darth Tater

So something like 2-3 TQ pouches, and 2 double stacked M4 pouches with pressure dressing in them on the belt, along with your pistol, a reload, multitool etc, is that what we're talking about? Basically a belt setup for care under fire?

Maybe CTOMS bandage pouch is a good way to go? $10 a pop and will hold a 4 inch izzy and combat gauze. Takes up about the same space as a rifle mag pouch, maybe a little smaller?

http://ctomsDOTca/Mission-Essential-Equipment/On-Sale/bandage-pouch_2.html

A little different than I was thinking, but several of those would just be darn handy.

Darth Tater

As an update, I did not find a perfect both-directions solution. I'll see how this goes, but for now here's the lineup:

I kept the large first-line (NAR-4) treatment pouch on my heavy entry vest.

On my plate carrier, I put two CTOMS LTAC pouches and a CTOMS bandage pouch. One LTAC holds pressure dressings, while the other is airway/respiration/triage tags. The bandage pouch holds hemostatics and a control wrap. Pistol mag pouches hold TQs. It's logical and orderly and the bulk is pretty streamlined.

I kept my mini-IFAK and tourniquet for me on my belt. I added two bandage pouches to the belt....one holds a 4" pressure dressing, the other is hemostatics and a control wrap. The belt also has to fit a pistol, spare mag, and spare rifle mag.

Post Car

Late to the party.....

I had a similar issue when I was a tac medic. I never really found a happy first line solution, so I went with a 1.5 solutions...

I ran a ctoms pistol belt with my pistol and taser and that was it. Pouches were redundant across my entry vest, woodland plate carrier, etc.

I carried an ATS FFRB which allow me to wear the bag like a butt pack and just rotate it around whenever I needed to access it. Off the top of my head, the packing list was fairly extensive:

- 2x CAT TQ's
- 3x H Bandages
- 3x packing kits (3 combat gauze, 3 kerlix)
- 1 Blast bandage
- 1 Sam splint
- 2 saline lock set ups and 2 500 cc fluid
- boo boo kit
- 2 6" ace wrap
- Junctional Tourniquet
- NPA
- 4 chest seals
- 2 chest deco needles
- triage tags/marker/vs-17 panel/etc

I could throw this on over any uniform and be set for a few injured. I could plus it up with gear on my vests or, if needed, add an m9 or Nar-4 bag which didn't interfere too bad.