Safariland Holster Mods (RDS/X300U/ETC... rolling updates)

NickDrak

Amateur
I just got a brand new Safariland 6280 in STX Basketweave in today for my RMR'd G17 with Surefire X300. Decided to try and just heat it up and form the top hood over the RMR instead of cutting it up like I've seen on a couple of other 6280 RMR mods.
Took my time and it looks completely factory. Need to do a ton of reps to get used to the draw on the 6280 as I've been running an ALS for the past decade.

IMG_5135.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5128.JPG
    IMG_5128.JPG
    742.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_5129.JPG
    IMG_5129.JPG
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5130.JPG
    IMG_5130.JPG
    848.7 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_5133.JPG
    IMG_5133.JPG
    746.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_5134.JPG
    IMG_5134.JPG
    842.6 KB · Views: 289

NickDrak

Amateur
That is very nice work.

How did you do that without damaging the basket weave pattern?

Just used the lower heat setting on the heatgun and took my time. Some of the weave pattern is very slightly stretched out but it's hardly noticeable.

I just got a brand new Safariland 6280 in STX Basketweave in today for my RMR'd G17 with Surefire X300. Decided to try and just heat it up and form the top hood over the RMR instead of cutting it up like I've seen on a couple of other 6280 RMR mods.
Took my time and it looks completely factory. Need to do a ton of reps to get used to the draw on the 6280 as I've been running an ALS for the past decade.

View attachment 1319

That looks awesome. I've been looking for something in basketweave because I hate the look of nylon and don't want to buy a new duty setup. I had two questions about your mods.

1) Is your RMR mounted behind or in front of the BUIS?
2) When you used the heatgun and got the kydex warm enough, what did you use to push it into the new form? I'm assuming just a tool or something but I don't want to do something like that when another option I'm not thinking of could be easier.

Thanks! Again, great work. It looks completely factory.

Rabbit

6280 mod... How in the hell do you have so much room for the SLS strap? I just cut out the box area. Yes, I'm mounted on an MOS. Does the MOS really make it sit THAT much higher? I can not reliably draw without the optic hanging on the strap. Does safariland make a longer strap, maybe for a different model gun?

Attachments

• 20161210_014421.jpg
    20161210_014421.jpg
    927 KB · Views: 127

Rabbit

Don't see an edit button so the solution was to drill a new hole for the stud the strap mounts to slightly forward of the original.

Attachments

• 20161210_023051.jpg
    20161210_023051.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 120

Arty_mech

Anyone notice any issues with the comp or Fsp snagging on the draw/register. Just made all the modifications to mine this morning. Als locks very nicely but the draw isn't very smooth

ajsomp

@Arty_mech I was just going to ask the same question. I didn't have to make modifications (yet) to fit my Deltapoint Pro with sights, but when I draw my 19 with the TBRCi micro comp, the micro comp gets caught on the ALS. Any suggestions?

Fatboy

Established
Anyone notice any issues with the comp or Fsp snagging on the draw/register. Just made all the modifications to mine this morning. Als locks very nicely but the draw isn't very smooth

I didn't have the issue with a 6354DO but I had it with a 6390 ALS holster. My front sight would catch slightly on the draw, but eventually it scraped enough of the holster away that it clearanced itself and stopped being an issue. For the record, my sights were Trijicon HD's.

Awesome to hear. Don't suppose there is any word on the "patrol" duty style holsters for red dot guns hitting the market is there?
is the "patrol" version only going to be black or is it going to be offered in the other patterns (basketweave, hi gloss, etc...)

Fatboy

Established
The blurb I saw on SSD looked liked it was the regular run of holster finishes and holster models, but they were enhanced with a bump for the red dots. I haven't really found too much else from it.

I just got two 6354DOs stamped 2017. What should I be looking for to differentiate between old and new. My RMR is away to fix the flickering. I don't know what changed.

Fatboy

Established
The height of the locking bar and the height of the lower lip on the holster. The old models were designed to have the red dot at the back of the gun, with irons in front. (Think Unity Tactical style). That meant the locking bars were taller since the red dot sat back further. And by higher, I think mine was about 1/8" taller.

The newer ones should be set for a red dot in either the ATEI position or the Unity Tactical position.

Basically, if the red dot is mounted in the usual location, it wouldn't lock into the old holsters unless they were shaved down some. They should have no issues with locking into the new holsters.

Arty_mech

@Arty_mech I was just going to ask the same question. I didn't have to make modifications (yet) to fit my Deltapoint Pro with sights, but when I draw my 19 with the TBRCi micro comp, the micro comp gets caught on the ALS. Any suggestions?

The micro is wider than the slide hence why the comp catches.