Critique my workout plan

Jonathan

After about 2 years of being lazy, I'm getting my but back into the weight room. I work a 12 hour night shift on the 2-2-3-2-2-3 rotation. I made my plan based on my rotating sleep schedule, off days are days I start working and need to transition back to being awake at night.
Look through my plan and tell me if there's anything you'd add, change, or adjust in any ways.
For now I'm not going to be strict on sets and reps, I'm easing my way into it first.
538ed47de0f8c2897e49c21f35bd59bf.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Jonathan

I should note, I'm a member at Gold's Gym, so the equipment I have access to is virtually endless. In the plan I posted here I don't have hammer strength exercises included, but I've already adjusted the plan to include some.

Jonathan

I should also mention my goal right now is to put on (really gain back lost) muscle mass.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I'm not a fan of single muscle group focus days, as the body was intended to have muscles work together to do things. Thats just my take, I'm not a trained physical fitness person though so YMMV.

hill2jb

Get a copy of Jim Wendler's book 5/3/1. I think it's right up your alley and is a 3 or 4 workout per week schedule, with cardio on your off days. What would benefit you is measurable goals in definable time increments, which this plan offers. It's barbell based strength training with other exercises placed in as needed to assist with the main lift of the day. Plan on an hour to an hour and a half total time per workout, from start of your warmup to last rep. Add 15 minutes if you're doing abs on that day.

Unity-Trent

Amateur
Vendor
I've been very happy with SOFLETE. I use their APP and it makes things really easy.

I've found the programming to be very good. It's been varied and challenging. I have seen very good results across the board in terms of strength and endurance. Still not where I want to be, but at least headed in the right direction.

The community is very good as well.

Lobsterclaw207

How much does SOFLETE run? And is there a post-able example of what type of stuff you get from them, so one can gauge how much value such a subscription to them would give?

Thanks.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
How much does SOFLETE run? And is there a post-able example of what type of stuff you get from them, so one can gauge how much value such a subscription to them would give?

Thanks.

I had to stop paying as I don't have regular gym access like I did before. It was $25 a month.

Had workouts for Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat with an active recovery day on Wed.

Each day would have warm ups, strength, stamina and some sort of accessory work followed by a cool down. The app had access to it all. I felt that with all of life, working out 6 days a week for 1-1.5 hours a day got to be a little to much with a family and long work hours. But it was working at increasing lift #'s for me on the Strength team.

The daily workouts they post on instagram are a sample of what some daily workouts look like, but they are singular lifts, not a example of each days.

Unity-Trent

Amateur
Vendor
The real value to me is having the programming done for me, including targeted mobility. If I had to do my own programming, it would be lackluster and very likely wrong. I have tried several other programs in the past, and none of them really worked well for me for various reasons.

I have seen a lot of progress on my personal PR's. Its also neat to see what the other guys in the programming are lifting on that day. There are some monsters on there.

I do wish they had some more nutrition information on there, but I have started doing food prep and that has made a huge difference.

The TrainHeroic app has continually gotten better as well.

Also recommend SOFLETE, programming is in line with my current goals of increasing strength while maintaining a reasonable level of endurance for my job. You might also look at power athlete. Still uses train heroic app which is extremely useful, however, powerathlete is more strength focused.

JRude

Amateur
This looks like a good program if bodybuilding is your goal. You have placed the four primary lifts first in your sessions (deadlift, press, squat, and bench) and those is where most of the energy should be expended.

The "big seven" are the staples of any productive lifting program and whether your goal is to look better , get stronger, or some combination of both, you don't need much more than them AND/ OR their many variations. Free weights are preferable to machines with very few exceptions.

1.deadlift
2. press
3. squat
4. bench press
5. rows
6. dips
7. pullups

Bourneshooter pointed out that "body part" training may not be the best focus. This is absolutely true if function is your primary goal. Most people here are probably more interested in function than form, so they should focus on the lift rather than the body part. Here is an example of the difference;

instead of "today is back day, I'm going to work my back" I say "today is deadlift day, I am going to do something to improve my deadlift". I pick a deadlift variation for the first exercise after warmups. then I select a supplemental and accessory exercises based on my personal weak points. If I'm weak off the floor I may do romanian deadlifts or good mornings, then glue ham raises, some band leg curls, and some kind of heavy "abdominal corset" exercise to finish. If I'm weaker at lockout, I may choose high rack pulls as a secondary and more glute focused accessories.

My personal belief is that everyone should do strength work and follow with conditioning and endurance, in that order. Cops in general don't need as much endurance work as military guys, because they seldom ruck anywhere or jog. They either run fast, or drive. the physical output is more like a football player with short intense bursts than it is like a marathon runner with prolonged periods of low power. The training should reflect that.

JRude

Amateur
This chart is from "Science and Practice of Strangth Training" by Vladimir Zatsiorsky. It can help you decide how to perform your exercises and plan training sessions.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Lobsterclaw207

I had to stop paying as I don't have regular gym access like I did before. It was $25 a month.

Had workouts for Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat with an active recovery day on Wed.

Each day would have warm ups, strength, stamina and some sort of accessory work followed by a cool down. The app had access to it all. I felt that with all of life, working out 6 days a week for 1-1.5 hours a day got to be a little to much with a family and long work hours. But it was working at increasing lift #'s for me on the Strength team.

The daily workouts they post on instagram are a sample of what some daily workouts look like, but they are singular lifts, not a example of each days.

Thanks dudes. That's a little more than I can afford (I was paying less for a YMCA gym membership!). I'm in the same boat, I don't have that much time that many days to really get the value out of it.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Thanks dudes. That's a little more than I can afford (I was paying less for a YMCA gym membership!). I'm in the same boat, I don't have that much time that many days to really get the value out of it.

The $15 or so for Pat Mac's Combat Strength Training e-book will help then. Look it up. Its about the theory, you can plan workouts from there.

Grizzly

Not to take away from Soflete but I'd take a look at mountain tactical as well. The monthly ($29) subscription gives you access to a ton of plans. You can dig through their pre-made plans to find one for your specific goal or follow their daily programming for various tactical/medical/whatever goals.

I've been working them for close to a year now and have seen marked improvements across the board in my strength and fitness.I started with the operator ugly assessment test to see where I was at, then followed the operator ugly train up plan and retested then followed a few of their rucking plans. Through out it I'd email Rob occasionally to report progress and get advice on what plans would get me to my next goal. I don't think a single email took longer than 24hrs to be answered.

http://mtntactical.com/start/

TheTick

Seeing Day 1-2 and Day 2-1 leading out with Deadlifts and only separated by 2 days seems like a little too close to me. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge can comment.

My current cycle has me doing upper and lower body splits. Generally in a two week cycle, I hit the gym 3 days one week and 4 the next for just the weight lifting. Cardio comes here and there at home or gym and several different methods (treadmill, rowing, swimming) because I hate pure cardio.

I have two upper body workouts and two lower body workouts and I've been on this for about 9 weeks and will keep on it for another 3 or so before changing it up.

It's basically this program, (http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/) except that I crush my arms even more on the tail ends of the upper body splits. What can I say? I love my glamour muscles.

Matt117

Amateur
I'm also a big fan of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, I usually do some variation of the 4 day a week plan. Right now I'm on the "boring but big" plan with pull ups and pull up improvement accessory work on the upper body days.

Day 1 Bench press plus assistance work, day two squat focus, day 3 conditioning or active recovery, day 4 overhead press focus plus accessory work, day 5 deadlift focus. day 6 and 7 rest and conditioning if possible.

The Big lifts 2 app for iPhone makes programing pretty simple, enter your max lifts and the app will figure out your workout for the next month. weight can be added each month manually or by the program. This combined with a small notepad is all i need to keep organized.