EDC Light

Simms65

Shenanigans!
Staff member
Administrator
EDC off duty Fenix PD32. Beat the shit out of it and haven't managed to kill it for a couple years. I also have an OLD itp A3 eos upgraded single AAA LED flashlight that is about 20 lumens which rides on my keychain. It's so old I've worn the markings off it. Still works.

On duty I have a Steamlight Strion on my belt and a Streamlight Stylus Pro AAA in my pocket as a backup.

jmatt511

Amateur
Surefire P2ZX Fury. I use a small loop of paracord made from their lanyard system with the clip hook. No worries about the rubber breaking or the rubber loop doing funny things with my pocket. Also use the click on/off tail switch. I have no use for the rotating tail cap.

Caomhin

Picked up a Defender yesterday for $80. I updated it with a spare Surefire SR07 tail cap and could not be happier.

I did cannibalize the O-ring from a spare Raven clip and ring for the Fury which is a bit too big for EDC for me.

Point of Impact

Vendor
I generally carry a E2D with a LED conversion head.

I got a Stream Light Protac 1L for Christmas that I'm very pleased with....size wise it is great for pocket carry...about the size of my little finger.

I also have a Nano I keep with me at all times....

lightband2_zps85898d78.jpg

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
I'm pretty much queer for surefire. I belive they are the toughest, most reliable, and well designed lights on the market. Peridod.

I've tried to EDC several over the years. Here's a few that I've used recently:

G2X Tactical (320 Lumens)
6px Tactical (320 Lumens)
E2D Defender Ultra (500 Lumens)
EB1 Backup (200 Lumens)
EB2 Backup (500 lumens)

Out of the ones i've used my favorite has been the EB2 Backup. It's very narrow, lightweight, easily carried in a pocket yet still provides an excellent output. I use the one with the tactical style tailcap. It has a low output of 5 lumens (half press) and 500 lumens on high (full press.) It runs off 2 CR123A batteries.

download (2).jpg

My wife currently uses the EB1 Backup. It's the same as the EB2 only it runs off 1 CR123A battery and has a 5/200 lumen output. She finds it easier to carry than the E2D that she previously carried. It is pretty small.

images (2).jpg

I carried a G2x and 6PX for a while. They have a larger diamiter head and body, less output and no pocket clip. They are however much more affordable. They're great lights no doubt but I found them somewhat less comfortable when carried in the pocket all day every day. One thing I highly reccomend is the Raven Concealment pocket clip (like $15). It fits any surefire with the 1" body such as the G2x and 6PX series. That's a must have when getting one of those lights.

download (3).jpg

I always use the twist style tailcaps. I'm not a huge fan of clicky style caps but some folks are. To each their own I guess.

Ike

Casey

SureFire all the way here, as well. Daytime I feel ok with an EB1, but if I'm going to be out after dark I switch to a E2DLU bored by Precision Works to take 18650 cells. Nice, narrow light, but I break the pocket clip about every six months. Thankfully SF's Rapid Replacement Parts takes care of me.

Andrew Y.

I generally carry a E2D with a LED conversion head.

I got a Stream Light Protac 1L for Christmas that I'm very pleased with....size wise it is great for pocket carry...about the size of my little finger.

I also have a Nano I keep with me at all times....

lightband2_zps85898d78.jpg
That's awesome how did you rig that up?

aadrian82

Amateur
SureFire all the way here, as well. Daytime I feel ok with an EB1, but if I'm going to be out after dark I switch to a E2DLU bored by Precision Works to take 18650 cells. Nice, narrow light, but I break the pocket clip about every six months. Thankfully SF's Rapid Replacement Parts takes care of me.

Not to derail this thread, but you can mod Surefire lights to take different batteries? No clue that even existed Pretty cool.

EB1 and Fury for me, Fury being the primary, and EB1 for when I am restricted in what I can wear.

Bronson

Fury
Indeed. Precision Works does good work.

I didn't have him bore for different batteries, but he did cut some grooves on my handheld P2X's that made them more conducive to grip and retention. I think I have his business card at home, I'll send it your way when I find it.

Casey

Not to derail this thread, but you can mod Surefire lights to take different batteries? No clue that even existed Pretty cool.
Depends on the light. Polymer-body lights like the G2 are a no-go because they use a metal inner liner which would be removed during the boring process, and then the light wouldn't work. Full metal body P-series lights can be bored with no problem. E-series lights can usually be bored, but the E-series body being slim to begin with means they are generally limited to slimmer 18650 cells (3000 mAh or less). Lights with asymmetric bodies (like the Scout series) are more of a challenge because the blocks used to hold the light for boring have to be customized to fit the Scout's mounting points.

I really like being able to start a shift with fresh batteries in all my lights, but I hate wasting cash by throwing away partially depleted batteries, so the Furys on my issued and personal rifles are bored for rechargeable cells, as are most of my handheld lights.

Rota

Thankfully SF's Rapid Replacement Parts takes care of me.

If you've got any SF product with the two-way clip, call customer service and say you've broken the clip in advance get some spares to keep on hand.

It's almost inevitable, you'll be paid a visit by one of these guys sooner or later...

BrokenSFclip.jpg

I'll run an E2D U every day in town and traveling. Not an EDC - but, in the backcountry I really like the P3X Fury and a Black Diamond Icon together if you've got to throw some lumens around.

ImBatman

I'm on a boat!
I called SF for exactly what Rota ran into and explained that I was active duty and wanted to keep a stock on hand in case I'm stuck with long turnaround time in the mail. They sent me nearly a dozen clips for free.

If you deploy its worth calling them so you can have multiples on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avtech850

Amateur
So while we are talking about clips for Surefire lights......
I was browsing through Ravens website with the intention of picking up a few of their clips for fury bodies. Several or the reviews complained about wrecking the threads on the body. Any credence to this or did a few people go full retard and wreck their lights?

Arete

Almost always carry either a E1B or a EB2.
I much prefer the size of my old E2D (it's in the sweet spot between the above 2 lights), but the bulb died. Going to purchase a Malkoff drop in LED for it at some point.

tdb

So while we are talking about clips for Surefire lights......
I was browsing through Ravens website with the intention of picking up a few of their clips for fury bodies. Several or the reviews complained about wrecking the threads on the body. Any credence to this or did a few people go full retard and wreck their lights?

Read the reviews, looks like the issues were more or less all user error/full retard. If its too tight to fit on without scraping the threads try to adjust it, if it can't be adjusted talk to RCS, they will have better tips or options. Should be a pretty plug and play type of deal...