What is your preferred blades finish?

I want to start making blades again. It was a hobby for years and I started an llc for a bit. Since then I have had medical issues keeping me from it. Maybe in the future forum members can help me design a blade? I think it would be fun to design a useful blade based on others input.
As for now I am curious as to what end users feel is their preferred finish. I use mainly high carbon steel so rust is an issue. I am leaning towards stone washing as it's a non chemical finish for blades that may be used to process meat. However, I would like to find something that will prevent rust to a higher degree. So, what do you like and why?
Thanks for the input

David Mayeur

If using carbon steel, I'm partial to black oxide. I use stainless knives for food prep.

Stone washing will not prevent rust or corrosion. However, stone washing will help the uncoated blade retain oil when applied for routine upkeep.

I like black oxide also. I had my heat treat place do it for me. Here's one of my last. I did have some issues though with some of my blades coming back scratched.

Attachments

• 11150773_1603736159840586_8285142698538391590_n.jpg
    11150773_1603736159840586_8285142698538391590_n.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 22

patriot_man

I like PVD but seeing as you're using high carbon steel, you still run the risk or rust unless you have another surface treatment under the PVD. Sometimes they apply a chromium compound underneath that will protect from corrosion.

Love that wear is almost non-existent on the blade. I have a few Spartan blades that have had their fair share of hard use and a quick wipe makes them look new or almost new.

If using carbon steel, I'm partial to black oxide. I use stainless knives for food prep.

Stone washing will not prevent rust or corrosion. However, stone washing will help the uncoated blade retain oil when applied for routine upkeep.
Here's a better pic of how I got my blades back, you can see the scratches.

Attachments

• 11162196_1603735909840611_2822906963527811612_n.jpg
    11162196_1603735909840611_2822906963527811612_n.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 21
There is a chance they were scratched up in the solution. Black oxide blades will scratch up though, so don't be terribly too upset.
The only problem is I was making them for customers. Because of the scratches I had to give a big discount or I just gave them away as gifts. I do like black oxide as far as my tests it helps hold off rust fairly well.
I may try a black oxide home kit. I think they are around $200, worth it if I can get the finish even and is fairly durable. Thanks man

David Mayeur

There are different kits and methods to applying the finish. Some require heat, some don't. It's well worth it if you plan on doing a dozen or more. Just make sure you thoroughly read up on whatever kit you get and wear the proper PPE. Some of that stuff can be nasty.

There are different kits and methods to applying the finish. Some require heat, some don't. It's well worth it if you plan on doing a dozen or more. Just make sure you thoroughly read up on whatever kit you get and wear the proper PPE. Some of that stuff can be nasty.
Funny you brought up black oxide, I was expecting something more complicated or advanced by now. I like black oxide, as far as performance it worked for me in the past. I was having Peter's heat treat and black oxide my blades. When not scratched they look really nice and surprisingly protect the blade better than I expected. Peter's have really good deals on larger batches, hard to not just let them deal with the mess. I may have a work around that may turn into a blessing. Like I said, some came back scratched, so I had some pretty big losses on a couple batches. I see some makers offer stonewashed black oxide blades. They look better than scratches and scuffs. I do have a tool tumbler. I may go that route and see what happens.

tylerw02

7704c523d99f7e3dac3a05c47637ef87.jpg

I’m rather partial to our wash method. We also wash them parkerize some carbon steels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tylerw02

I’m rather partial to our wash method. We also wash them parkerize some carbon steels.

Nice blade. I am also partial stone washing. I had good luck with aluminum oxide, a mix of ceramic media and simple green.

Thank you, sir. We are using aluminum oxide to pre-blast, then tumble ceramic with Dawn and water.

Cgarcia

Several compa ies are now offering carbon steel and stainless blades with Nitride, DLC, and Cerakote finishes.
I personally own and recommend the Matt Helm/ Dauntless MFG. Persian in D2 tool steel for a general purpose fixed blade that may get beaten on. The Nitride finish precludes rust and even the exposed edge has not rusted in the 6-8 months I have carried it.
If memory serves, Mad Dog knives made some blades with a legit hard chrome coating. Cold Steel uses DLC on some of their mid to high tier blades and I am a big fan of DLC on a knife. Seems to work very well.

Black oxide on a knife helps hold oil and prevent flash/reflection but serves little other use. I end up removing it and letting the blade patina over time. Winkler is well known for sing Black oxide/Caswell and I really wish he would use a more durable modern finish. Fantastic working knives aside from that.