Truck Guns

Dr. Cornwallis

I don’t have a truck gun but if I did I’d probably secure it with something like a truck vault. I’d keep the gun and a few mags etc. locked up in a drawer. Not only is it secure but it’s out of sight and out of mind for a thief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MojoNixon

Established
1. Yes
2. I put it away in my safe every night. Kind of a hassle but safer than leaving it in my truck if its parked outside overnight. When not at home its in a non-descript case that slides under the seat so it's not visible from outside.

MrMurphy

Not at the moment but Tuffy makes a vault for the back seat of trucks that attaches to the seat belt anchors it's permanently secured in place and it's just as good as a gun safe. The seat folds down over it and it appears to be a factory part that will fit two long guns and a couple of pistols I believe.

OK-5-0

Yes

Secured in trunk, in false compartment.

On the truck gun concept; it is my belief, I'm sure I'm not alone, to remain even more grey man than what I am wearing. I drive a non permissive car which is extremely common. No pro gun stickers, no stickers at all for that fact. Stock everything on the outside, excluding tinted windows.

Pat Mac wrote an article in Recoil not too long ago which solidified what I drive and what it contains.

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Yeah, In my car, which similar to OK-5-0 is a really common car, a 4 door black sedan of one of the most common cars in the country with no stickers or markings. And I keep a pistol in a small safe under the seat cable tied to the frame of the seat. Right now its a makarov but Im looking to swap that out

I work in Illinois and live in Indiana so I have keep my carry gun in my car there is a storage requirement when I am away. And even if I am indiana, its nice to have a less expensive but reliable carry gun in my car in light of any unexpected circumstances and also to be able to arm myself if I am ever disarmed. Actually that's sort of why I was making another thread about looking at a 9mm snub nose because I wanted a gun with ammo commonality with my primary carry guns (CZ 9mms), but something that I could keep under the seat of my car for weeks and months at a time and not have to worry about reliability and lube like a small autoloader and lend itself for deep concealment which is important in some contingencies

Probably different then most guys keeping long guns in the truck, but Im an insurance agent and live a boring life and really more concerned with protecting my person then being a LEO or Military guy and trying to stop and ISIS attack.

Yes an SBR. I have it secured in a hidden compartment in my F150 that most F150 owners don't know exists.

As stated above my truck is a very basic looking F150 with no distinguishing stickers or markings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I know it’s an old thread but I figured I’ll ask here instead of posting a new thread.

What’s everyone’s opinion about the visor/roof mounted rifle racks. I like the ones that are basically a shelf so the gun is hidden, but still accessible from the drive seat.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
@BassFlats&Beyond If you drive a sedan/coupe and it can be tucked up above a passerby's line of sight, go for it. If you drive a truck where someone walking past can see up and into the cab, then it's a no-go.

The best security is keeping it out of sight.

@BassFlats&Beyond If you drive a sedan/coupe and it can be tucked up above a passerby's line of sight, go for it. If you drive a truck where someone walking past can see up and into the cab, then it's a no-go.

The best security is keeping it out of sight.
Agreed on keeping it out of sight. What I am talking about is basically a radio box/storage self that can accept a rifle rack.

Sort of like this
https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Interior-Accessories/VDP-Shelf-It-Overhead-Storage-Shelf

The one in the link would require some modification but this is the the general idea.

I think that combined with tinted windows could work very well if your vehicles has the headroom.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Agreed on keeping it out of sight. What I am talking about is basically a radio box/storage self that can accept a rifle rack.

Sort of like this
https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Interior-Accessories/VDP-Shelf-It-Overhead-Storage-Shelf

The one in the link would require some modification but this is the the general idea.

I think that combined with tinted windows could work very well if your vehicles has the headroom.
Yeah, that thing looks like it could work. Add some sort of retention so it doesn't fall on your head when you hit a speed bump/pot hole and I'm down.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Do be sure that a rifle concealed in your vehicle and readily accessible does not violate your CCW laws. In my state the laws for CCW expressly state pistol. I’d also consider impact safety and airbags depending on your vehicle. Those are statistically way more important than needing to quickly grab a rifle for self defense. Could you hit you head on that during a crash? Does it interfere with you upper airbag curtains? Only you can say. I’ve kept one in my truck for probably 5 years. It’s under the rear seat of the Suburban. I specifically chose an AR with a fixed front post sight. I have it in a square “gunshow” gun case that looks like the floor carpet in color and consistency. Simple Velcro flap. I used a short bicycle cable lock from REI. There’s a loop on both ends. I loop one in through the loop on the other end and through the front sight post. The other end is padlocked to the steel loop in the floor that the seat locks to. To retrieve it I input the combo and open the Velcro flap. Pull out the whole rifle and pull off the cable or not. Security is provided by
1. No stickers or visible valuables
2. Locking my damn doors( #1 most common violation)
3. Weapon is not visible without opening door
4. Bag looks like carpet or factory tire tool type bag
5. Steel cable and pad lock
6. Factory alarm

I’m comfortable with all that. To get it, You have to know it’s there ahead of time because it can’t be seen without going under the seat. Break glass AND unlock and open door (alarm). Cut cable and remove.

Ryan St.Jean

Sort of like this

1- Your car is not a gun safe.

2- A gun needs to be physically secured inside the vehicle. At least a darn bike lock going around the seat hardware.

3- Don’t leave it in the vehicle overnight.

I used to own a 2009 Ford Explorer which had a two compartments in the bed area big enough for a rifle. I kept a 16" basic iron sighted rifle with three extra mags on a concealable chest rig and Glock 26 with extra mags in there. I installed child magnetic locks to secure the rearmost hatch. No one ever broke into the vehicle but you would need a pry bar to access the compartment without the magnet.

They are still plastic. It was more likely the fiberboard hatch would break before the latches. The cover was flush with where the 3rd row seating would have been and not very obvious to start. The latches acted like a wedge when deployed. Wish I had taken some pictures before selling the car.