Need some help with Ballistic Shields

My agency is planning on purchasing some ballistic shields and I have been tasked with doing some research and bringing options to the table. The plan is to buy the following:
One larger entry style ballistic shield
One smaller ballistic shield for entry that would fit in tight places that the larger shield cannot go
Also three more smaller to medium sized shields that will be issued to SRO’s and kept in their offices.

I am looking for resources and suggestions. This will be new equipment program for us as we have never owned our own shield prior. What are most agencies using Level III or IIIA for portable carry shields. All shields must be able to fit in a ford explorer rear cargo area because these will be for patrol. Our Multi agency team has shields these are for patrol response.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Javelin

The recent Modcast: P&S ModCast 196 - Ballistic Testing and Armor is a good place to start.

Links to the audio versions are in the video description

Also this is the armor company mentioned in the modcast: https://survivalarmor.com/

Chriscanbreach

Established
Paraclete Aspis is an excellent shield. Unfortunately each shield you described has a different use and requirements as well as training. Defensive shields in my opinion are portable cover and don’t necessarily require viewports this can save weight and cash. Offensive shields need to be maneuverable and are meant to protect the bearer. We’re fortunate enough to have everything from our modular dolly system and CQB shields from Tyr tactical to Paraclete Aspis and Phalanx. As well as portable walls. Everything is level III+ or level 4
I’ll discuss how we use them in private if you want to pm
To answer your question, you need to identify specifically how you envision a shield being used in your environment and go from there. Is it assault, defend, search, or a mix of all that will be marginal at all.
As with everything you usually get to pick two, cheep, lite and maneuverable, highest threat level.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
With the advent of the Aspis X I don’t think there is really a place for 3A shields anymore. We used to buy multiple types like this Protec/Safariland NATO and Intruder X but once we went with Paraclete we just started getting the Aspis exclusively. It’s marginally smaller than an Intruder but lighter and better ballistically. No one ever has to decide whether or not to run a rifle shield. Our guys have always run 3A leg guards which is a compromise but 90% of the time we are using the shield to catch that unexpected round not so much as a phalanx. The walls are great if the terrain is agreeable but that not what you are talking about.

sekrtg

With the advent of the Aspis X I don’t think there is really a place for 3A shields anymore. We used to buy multiple types like this Protec/Safariland NATO and Intruder X but once we went with Paraclete we just started getting the Aspis exclusively. It’s marginally smaller than an Intruder but lighter and better ballistically. No one ever has to decide whether or not to run a rifle shield. Our guys have always run 3A leg guards which is a compromise but 90% of the time we are using the shield to catch that unexpected round not so much as a phalanx. The walls are great if the terrain is agreeable but that not what you are talking about.

We ended up with hardware shields, but same concept. Rifle rated shields are now light enough to justify using them on all calls, rather than choosing between pistol rated or rifle rated based on the situation.