Modern Patrol Rifle

Mike_IA

Eye box is good, dot is Vortex bright, glass has a slight blue tint. I think actual bottom magnification is technically 1.05 but than isn’t a worry and hasn’t slowed me down any more than any other tube optic.

It is best in class and price 1-4x (I personally would even put it over the vaunted S&B Shortdot, what the P4Xi gives up in glass it makes up for everywhere else) With sale prices hitting $375ish range it is replacing aimpoint PRO as my base recommendation optic.

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Eye box is good, dot is Vortex bright, glass has a slight blue tint. I think actual bottom magnification is technically 1.05 but than isn’t a worry and hasn’t slowed me down any more than any other tube optic.

It is best in class and price 1-4x (I personally would even put it over the vaunted S&B Shortdot, what the P4Xi gives up in glass it makes up for everywhere else) With sale prices hitting $375ish range it is replacing aimpoint PRO as my base recommendation optic.

$375 where can this be found

nightchief

Fighter of the Daychief
I bought my Steiner from Sport Optics. Was $439 with free shipping. I've been very happy so far with it, especially for the price point. Large ocular, easy to track targets at 1x (range and hunting, no two way range experience). BDC reticle works well, at least out to 400 yards out of a 16" barrel. I tried 55gr MEN and 77gr BH TMK. I am able to hit a C Zone IPSC steel with regularity when shooting prone or kneeling supported.

Cgarcia

Been following along with this thread for a while now, it proved to be the last straw in pushing me to an LPVO, went with the P4Xi.
I hope to get out to the range and zero with 62 gr. Fusion before the end of this week. Dot brightness and glass clarity are fantastic. Will be ordering a throw lever and scope caps ASAP. Not a huge fan of the reticle but will put it through its paces soon enough. As much as I love my Comp M4S this thing is a big improvement.
I plan to use this rig for some night hunting in the next month or so.

Attachments

• 20180717_145553.jpg
    20180717_145553.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 134

Stobocor

I've been evaluating a vortex razor hd gen ii-e for patrol use. Personally, I think there is a huge benefit gain by using a lpvo for duty, especially if most everyone else is running a red dot.

Today, I took it to a cross agency active shooter training event. I knew it was heavy and would wear me down, but I took it anyways. I was not disappointed and by the end, my shoulder was on fire. However, while at no point did I turn it off of 1 power, I was extremely happy with it. Hopefully I'll get it to a training class which will allow the opportunity to crank up (and down) the magnification, which I think will completely sell me on the idea of a lpvo for patrol .

There is still issues I have to work out, including figuring out how to get it into the rifle rack in my patrol car; however the razor is promising. I made sure to pass it around so others could see what the future of LE patrol rifles looks like.

MuskokaJoe

I am in the process of putting together my interpretation of a modern patrol rifle. Not bleeding edge top of the line, but well above budget options. This would be suitable for a work or home defense weapon.

There are a couple things I am waiting on before it is complete. Sadly, the latest Surefire Scout is unknown on ETA.

The goal is to find a balance between lighter weight and capability.

I settled on 16" barrel, since it requires no special hoops to jump through. I have found great results from 11.5" and 12.5", even 14.5" barrels but unfortunately paperwork is needed (yes, unless I pin the muzzle device to the barrel on 14.5" or if I go pistol).

I have done longer distance shooting with an RDS, I have a lot of experience with shooting an RDS - BUT - modern patrol rifle concepts are going LPVO.

My current first world problem is: throw everything I have together now or wait the two extra days for the Geissele 2.04" mount to arrive...

Up where I am the laws with respect to barrel length are a bit different and agencies are a bit different. You'll see a lot of 10.5" C8CQB's here. Some 14.5" C8's in various configurations. Most are mounted between the seats, for that reason I you'll see the high number of 10.5'' guns as you do here. Less cumbersome to deploy rapidly from the patrol vehicle I'd suppose. My service used 10.5's, while another agency we trained with used 14.5's, I didn't notice a huge difference in deploying either from their mounts except in Ford's Taurus interceptor... Pictured below is basically the patrol rifle setup we carried since 2010.

Attachments

• IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    881.2 KB · Views: 168

MuskokaJoe

There are a few Services up where I am (but not many) that also deploy suppressors on patrol rifles. My agency strongly considered it. We received feedback from two agencies that both used the North Easter Arms MiniCan. One absolutely loved them, citing potential benefits to officers conducting IARD operations. The other ultimately pulled them from service citing increased stoppages and cans loosening off causing baffle strikes during training. We didn't end up deploying any prior to our amalgamation with a much larger service.

Dr. Cornwallis

Unless your business is primarily room to room murder on sight work in a sense urban area then I think a 14.5 or 16 inch rifle with an LPVO makes sense, especially if you work in a rural or suburban/rural transitional area. LPVO’s are good enough now that most of their shortcomings have been adequately addressed, and their advantages in accuracy and PID past 50 yards are absolutely undeniable.

If someone needs a plug and play rifle, and their agency approves, it’s hard to go wrong with a an SR-15 Mod 2 with an LPVO... buy rifle, attach optic and WML, go do work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not LEO, just a civilian but I’ll share what I have as one of my home defense rifles so maybe someone might find this useful.

I currently have a complete BCM 16” BFH ELW with the KMR-A rail along with the BCM BCG with their ambidextrous charging handle. It sits on a Aero Precision lower with the BCM PNT trigger, H buffer, buffer tube and spring with the Gunfighter stock.

The optic I am using is the Trijicon MRO with the lower 1/3 cowitness mount, though I may upgrade to the Steiner P4Xi one of these days. I have Magpul Mbus Pro front and rear back up sights. The light on the weapon is the Surefire Scout M600. The sling is the Magpul MS4 sling. It is currently loaded with Speer Gold Dot 64gr .223 although I also have some IMI 77gr Razorcore’s loaded up as well.

Anyways I hope someone finds this useful for an idea for a patrol rifle.

Ryan St.Jean

We are exactly the same thought process. My current duty rifle build is my SHTF/major crisis build in my arsenal, sort of the "one gun" idea. I was equally disheartened by that rail flex stuff. I like your point about anything creating a dead optic would most likely have pretty much wrecked rail.

I did lower 1/3, Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear. One big thing I noticed doing precise shooting with true cowitness is that I can miss that visual shot feedback (kicked up dirt) at distance which Ive come to value. Im no sniper and Ive never shot on a two way range, but I still think it a good tool that I lose with all of the bottom of my optic obscured.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You spelled AKM wrong.

Joking, sort of.

If strait longevity in an abusive situation is the goal with an AR; regular handguards (or magpul) with a fixed A2 front sight post and a fixed (DD, etc) rear sight would be the way to go. You could still use an Aimpoint/ Eotech with that setup.

YMMV.

Anyone have hands on experience with the new Magpul Bipod? At a quick glance, it seems to have benefits over the Heathens Bipod.

I’m hoping Matt or someone elaborates on this. I don’t have either, but the Heathen looks like it may mount and stow up tighter to the rail than the Magpul.

Now if Heathen could make their bipod a folder...

Reactions: JS1

WAVandal

For the LPVO is everyone going with second focal plane or first? In this kind of application is one superior to the other? I got used to shooting with FFP when I was shooting PRS at a very amateur level for fun. I'm likely using some of my next OT check for a LPVO to mount on my PWS Mk114 Mod1. The T-1 is getting moved to my DD M4V7p.

Wake27

For the LPVO is everyone going with second focal plane or first? In this kind of application is one superior to the other? I got used to shooting with FFP when I was shooting PRS at a very amateur level for fun. I'm likely using some of my next OT check for a LPVO to mount on my PWS Mk114 Mod1. The T-1 is getting moved to my DD M4V7p.

From what I’ve seen, most prefer the pros of SFP for a 1-4 or 1-6 in this context.

CK837

Amateur

@WAVandal Much of it comes down to preference I think. As a precision rifle guy, I like FFP stuff, but a lot of door kickers seem to like the SFP for LPVO's, which I can understand. I personally chose the NF ATACR 1-8 because I finally found a LPVO that did everything I personally wanted. The penalty is weight of course. I like that the NF reticle is clean and simple and the dot is daylight bright, but if I need magnification I have a usable reticle that "appears" when I zoom in. It's not for everyone, but I love it. There are a lot of options so I would really hammer out the role you want that optic to fill and then start narrowing it down. SFP might be the right choice, or FFP, but ultimately that's up to you.

Dr. Cornwallis

I prefer second focal plane on a 1-4 or 1-6 type optic mounted to a GP or RECCE rifle. There are huge advantages to SFP optic at closer distances and you honestly don’t really start realizing the major benefits of FFP until you start getting into longer yardages.

PatMcG

ee5d5ed8fb02d7c304cd812491705d6b.jpg

Not necessarily a patrol rifle(because I’m not le/mil) but this is what I’d grab if I was allowed to grab 1 of my guns for the rest of time to do everything. The heathen bipod is really slick. Only changes I’m making to this is a quality QD scope mount and upgrade to surefire wml.