Makhaira Group training - Colorado

Hi guys,

Just looking to see if anyone had any experience with Makhaira Group out of Fort Collins Colorado, I haven't been able to find any AAR's only some short reviews on facebook. They look to have classes that range from defensive pistol and force on force to carbine all the way too long range shooting courses. I am currently looking to take some defensive pistol courses but have not found many here in Colorado any recommendations for other companies that teach in CO that I should be looking at would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: MOT

MOT

Howdy.
I am currently living in Fort Collins.
I took their defensive pistol class not too long ago. Depending on what you’re looking to get out of it the class could be valuable. I took it just because it’s a prerequisite for their force on force stuff. Having been shooting and carrying for awhile I didn’t get much out of it, perhaps the next level/other classes would be more valuable to me. But the one I took was a basic class, most people there were trying to get their carry permit requirements met.
They talked about all the basic stuff and shared lots of good information.
Best thing I got out of it was the concept that the four laws of safe firearms handling are not laws so much as skills. This is something I already knew but didn’t have the words for, so that was good.
The bad: I lost count of how many times the dude said “subject matter experience” and “tactical” in the first couple of hours. As well as a general sort of here is the way it’s done and it’s the best/only way thing. I had to hold my tongue at times.
I was hoping to get some help tuning up my shooting and I got nothing from them there. The feedback I got was limited to “nice shooting, keep it up.” The instructor barely did a live fire demo and looking at his target I can say that I was outshooting him. Not intending to brag just a statement of what I experienced. I’m not particularly good in my own opinion. B8s at 25 are not my friend. Most of the shooting was done up close, like 3-5 yards.
I’ve been waiting for a force on force class to get up on the schedule, still waiting. When I asked about it the AI dude said it happened about twice a year and they never have trouble filling the class. Based on what the schedule says I don’t think that’s the case. My initial attempt to take the basic class was canceled because there wasn’t enough people signed up.
I may eventually take more of their classes but my first experience was rather underwhelming.
I attended this class as they seem to be the only name in northern Colorado. I have since been looking for more training from other people. Limited success there. Only other company I’ve taken a class with up here is Tactical Skills Institute, run by Jim Torres, a retired LE guy. I’m signed up for a Dave Spaulding class happening here in June, don’t know if there’s anymore slots open for it though.
It seems that northern Colorado doesn’t get a lot of visits from the badass instructors associated with Primary and Secondary. I hope that changes or that I’m wrong. Bill Blowers was up here some months back, I missed that class unfortunately. I’ve been keeping an eye on the P&S training calendar and not seeing much up here.

Hope some of this is useful to you.

Howdy.
I am currently living in Fort Collins.
I took their defensive pistol class not too long ago. Depending on what you’re looking to get out of it the class could be valuable. I took it just because it’s a prerequisite for their force on force stuff. Having been shooting and carrying for awhile I didn’t get much out of it, perhaps the next level/other classes would be more valuable to me. But the one I took was a basic class, most people there were trying to get their carry permit requirements met.
They talked about all the basic stuff and shared lots of good information.
Best thing I got out of it was the concept that the four laws of safe firearms handling are not laws so much as skills. This is something I already knew but didn’t have the words for, so that was good.
The bad: I lost count of how many times the dude said “subject matter experience” and “tactical” in the first couple of hours. As well as a general sort of here is the way it’s done and it’s the best/only way thing. I had to hold my tongue at times.
I was hoping to get some help tuning up my shooting and I got nothing from them there. The feedback I got was limited to “nice shooting, keep it up.” The instructor barely did a live fire demo and looking at his target I can say that I was outshooting him. Not intending to brag just a statement of what I experienced. I’m not particularly good in my own opinion. B8s at 25 are not my friend. Most of the shooting was done up close, like 3-5 yards.
I’ve been waiting for a force on force class to get up on the schedule, still waiting. When I asked about it the AI dude said it happened about twice a year and they never have trouble filling the class. Based on what the schedule says I don’t think that’s the case. My initial attempt to take the basic class was canceled because there wasn’t enough people signed up.
I may eventually take more of their classes but my first experience was rather underwhelming.
I attended this class as they seem to be the only name in northern Colorado. I have since been looking for more training from other people. Limited success there. Only other company I’ve taken a class with up here is Tactical Skills Institute, run by Jim Torres, a retired LE guy. I’m signed up for a Dave Spaulding class happening here in June, don’t know if there’s anymore slots open for it though.
It seems that northern Colorado doesn’t get a lot of visits from the badass instructors associated with Primary and Secondary. I hope that changes or that I’m wrong. Bill Blowers was up here some months back, I missed that class unfortunately. I’ve been keeping an eye on the P&S training calendar and not seeing much up here.

Hope some of this is useful to you.

MOT,

Thanks a ton for the insight, this would be my first class so there may be some Info for me to pick up. I don't have my ccw but am looking to get it and start doing more training for defensive pistol. All of my handgun experience comes from uspsa and while it is a good training tool I want to branch out and get some more training that's applicable to the real world. I'd also like to try their force on force class which would mean I'd have to take the level 1 defensive pistol regardless. Anyways thanks again for your review!

Reactions: MOT

MOT

Right on man, go for it.
I’m just getting started with competition and looking forward to doing USPSA.

MOT,

Just thought I'd give you a heads up since I was searching for classes, Massad Ayoob has a 4-day course in Northern CO in July that involves 2-days of live fire and 2-days on rules of engagement for armed citizens going over legal and tactical issues, dealing with the aftermath and interacting with suspects, witness's and first responders. Looks like you can either take the full 4 days or pay half and only take the live fire or classroom portion.