Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Had time to go to the range again tonight, so I burned through another 400 rounds which brings the total count on the system to just under 3,500. Still no malfunctions to speak of. Nothing significant about the trip tonight beyond getting some trigger time in.

I did get to take a look at (not shoot, just handle and dryfire) a civvie M17 that the range had gotten in recently. Feels about the same as a normal P320. The safety is well designed and positioned to rest your thumb on and the trigger was good. I have to admit I wasn't particularly interested in picking one up initially, but I may change my mind further down the line particularly when demand drops a bit and the price reduces.

The Romeo1 shroud kit should be here this week, at which time I'll take the pistol to my gunsmith to have them install the shroud and the Apex trigger kit and re-zero the optic with the Critical Duty 124gr +P ammo at 25 yards. Following that I will have a more substantive update!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Orbital interest;

IMG_2881.JPG

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/10/0...ld-guard-for-the-tomb-of-the-unknown-soldier/

"The M17 Tomb of the Unknown Pistols are unique M17 pistols that were created using the same specifications for the U.S. Army’s M17 Modular Handgun System. The ceremonial pistols are 9mm striker-fired pistols with a non-railed aluminum grip module, stainless steel slide, wood grip inserts, a 21-round magazine, and features the same optic cut as specified by the MHS contract, front night sight, removable rear plate, and black controls. The pistols also feature a high polish to withstand the inclement weather while the Tomb Sentinels stand guard."

So they CAN make metal grip modules...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The benefit of purchasing just the FCU is that it's like buying a stripped AR lower receiver. Now I can just add specifically the parts to it that I want, rather than spending three or four times as much on a pistol that I'll just replace half the parts on anyway

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Need thoughts/opinions: I'm trying to decide what caliber to go with for this second build. Since it'll be using a frame-mounted optic, I don't have to use one of the RX slides from Sig which are all 9mm - Which means I have a choice of calibers.

I could stick with 9mm, which will mean I'll be able to use all the magazines I currently have, or I could go for a 357SIG slide assembly for a little extra oomph, and which will also work a compensator better...

What's everyone think, stick with the same caliber or bump it up a notch for the hell of it? Purpose of this second build is just a fun range toy and experimenting further with the platform, not for any serious/defensive use

MojoNixon

Established
Need thoughts/opinions: I'm trying to decide what caliber to go with for this second build. Since it'll be using a frame-mounted optic, I don't have to use one of the RX slides from Sig which are all 9mm - Which means I have a choice of calibers.

I could stick with 9mm, which will mean I'll be able to use all the magazines I currently have, or I could go for a 357SIG slide assembly for a little extra oomph, and which will also work a compensator better...

What's everyone think, stick with the same caliber or bump it up a notch for the hell of it? Purpose of this second build is just a fun range toy and experimenting further with the platform, not for any serious/defensive use
I’d stick with 9mm. The cost of .357 Sig ammo being the main impetus to not going that route. Less muzzle flash/blast being a secondary reason. Although... if you went .357 Sig, the mags for that could possibly pull double duty if you ever went .40 cal.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I’d stick with 9mm. The cost of .357 Sig ammo being the main impetus to not going that route. Less muzzle flash/blast being a secondary reason. Although... if you went .357 Sig, the mags for that could possibly pull double duty if you ever went .40 cal.

Cost and muzzle blast are certainly considerations, though less so considering this particular build is going to be more exclusively slanted towards the "range toy" side of the spectrum.

I think actually the caliber choice may have more to do with some of the tweaks to the optic mount I'm working with the manufacturer on than anything else...

Yondering

I won't attempt to push you either way, but if you do decide to go 357 Sig, I have a top end that I'd trade you for a 9mm top end. I like the 357 Sig, but have it pretty well set up in a Glock already and don't use the 320 much. This one is a Compact slide with factory night sights, and is milled for an RMR.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I won't attempt to push you either way, but if you do decide to go 357 Sig, I have a top end that I'd trade you for a 9mm top end. I like the 357 Sig, but have it pretty well set up in a Glock already and don't use the 320 much. This one is a Compact slide with factory night sights, and is milled for an RMR.

I appreciate the offer! I don't currently have a 9mm top end that I'm not using though, and with the frame-mounted optic on this build I just need a plain slide (I'll even have to take the iron sights off to clear the mount)

Joe _K

Established
A comped .357 Sig would be pretty neat. But I’d stick with with 9mm just for commonality. Do they make a .22 kit for the 320 yet? And if so is it worth getting?

“For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:5‬

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
A comped .357 Sig would be pretty neat. But I’d stick with with 9mm just for commonality. Do they make a .22 kit for the 320 yet? And if so is it worth getting?

“For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:5‬

I think my main reservation with going the 357SIG route would be having to get a whole different set of magazines. P320 mags ain't cheap...

No 22 conversion for the P320 yet to my knowledge. They made one for the P250, but that's not compatible with the P320 FCU

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Go 9mm!!!

I'm leaning more and more that way. I had planned to make this build a bit differently from the RS'd X-Carry, but I think I'm starting to lean towards making it the same basic formula, just with a frame-mounted optic instead of slide-mounted...

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
What dot mount are you using on your frame mounted gun? Is it something built specifically for the 320, or is it a universal mount?

Last edited: